Premium Gas ? for Mike

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2000, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Premium Gas ? for Mike

Mike,
Do You have any feedback on what is the best gasoline I can use.I just ordered my chip monday and can't wait for it to arrive
I live in Southbay California.I'm using shell right now,what do you think?

Old 11-30-2000, 01:45 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Blue-X,

It's funny, a gasoline that I don't care for, Chevron, is giving most Superchip owners in Southern California excellent results.

I prefer brands like Texaco, Amoco, and Citgo, in that order, due to them having, more often that not, a consistently high energy content in addition to having the best detergent additive packages.

If you can't get any of those brands, then use whatever works best for you, I'd say. Shell has given spotty results in California, while Shell gets excellent results here in the East, generally speaking. So your local Shell may or may not be a better fuel, you won't know until you try it, basically. If you want to stick with Shell, that's fine, give it a try first, and if you don't like your results, then try a couple of tanks of Chevron, and see what happens.

The best informal indicator of energy content if your gas mileage, so if you can get into the habit of always checking your mileage each tank, you can make those comparions. The higher the energy content, the better the mileage, as a general rule.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 11-30-2000, 06:32 PM
Talking

Mike, thanks for your intelligent and great answers to everyone's questions. I wish I could give you a good estimate regarding my gas mileage between tank-fulls, but I have a heck of a time keeping my foot of the gas now. Prior to your Superchip, I was just fine. I could basically tell if everything was running right by watching the mileage. Now my mileage ain't worth a damn because I want to test out the new chip.

Maybe when it gets "old" I'll be able to go back to checking the mileage. In the meantime, I'm having lots of fun.

------------------
2000 F-150 Harley-Davidson
Tonneau Cover
Superchip
'99 FLHRCI
'95 XLH

Old 11-30-2000, 08:17 PM
Thanks a Lot!!

I got my chip today from Ups can't wait to install it.I'm a little bit worried coz I purchase my XPD early part of 99 and have read that there might be a problem,you now what I'm talking about,lets just cross our fingers

Thanks

------------------

Old 12-01-2000, 12:33 AM
Unhappy

BUMMER tried to install it tonight no luck
I thouroughly cleaned the computer and still wouldn't start..............please help

------------------
Ford Expedition 99'
Deep wedgewood blue
Borla cat back exhaust
Airraid Intake
white face Gauge
Billet Grille
Clear Corners
20 inch wheels/tires
2"inch drop DJM
Weteokole seat covers
Superchip(soon to be installed)
and much more coming soon!!

Old 12-01-2000, 01:39 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Harley Guy,

Thanks very much for your kind words.

You're like most of us, when we first get our Superchips the mileage goes down, simply because we're having so much fun checking out the new performance levels. Once the novelty of a new "go-fast" parts starts to wear off, then your driving usually returns to normal, so you can start to enjoy the gas mileage benefits of the Superchip too.

"As long as you're grinning behind the wheel, you're doing OK".

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 12-01-2000, 01:49 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Melvin, (Blue-X)

I'm so glad you called us today, so we can go over your no-start issue. Because you do not have any copper showing thru on your contacts, you most likely simply need to go back over them again. I don't mean to say that you want to scrape them until you do get copper showing through, as ideally you don't, but when none is showing thru, you can usually count on them not being cleared of all that coating, and can safely go back and scrape them further, so you can get all that conformal coating off.

When you did your first cleaning, you used the green Scotch-Brite pad that Superchips includes with the kit, which they just started doing in the summer of '99, and we just don't like that method here, which is why we provide a thorough description of our technique that we use. The green pad can make your contacts look nice and shiny, which makes you think they're "cleaned" of all that clear-colored conformal coating, but in fact they're usually not, as it will still leave behind that coating in a lot of places.

That is why we advised you to go back and do it again using our "screwdriver technique", as we describe in our additional Performance Products documentation.

After your second call, I think you still need to go back and do that again, and make sure that there is no more of that coating coming off in white flakes or shavings, so you'll know they're really cleared of all that material, because you do not have any copper showing thru.

Another thing you can do to check this is to take a pencil eraser, going from inside to outside, and use the eraser on each individual contact, to see if all that coating is off. Another thing you can do too is to put the Superchip on and off a few times, and then look at each contact, to make sure you can see a clear "trace" on the contact, showing you that the contacts inside the slot on the Superchip are in fact making a good connection. This will look like a think line scored into the contact.

Remember, all of this is best done under a strong, bright light, and if you can use something to look at the contacts with a bit of magnification, like a magnifying glass, reading glasses, etc., all the better, that usually reveals a whole new world of what you can see on the contacts.

The other possibility is that your computer has been reprogrammed at some point in it's life at the dealership to a different code. If that is the case, then we'll need to know the new calibration code, so we can cross-reference to the new computer code, and re-program the Superchip to match. Since you are the original owner, and the vehicle has only been back to the dealership for oil changes, this may not be the case, but it's still a possiblity, so if these other measures don't work, then we'll take a look at that possiblity, too. As I discussed with you over the phone, the dealership is *supposed* to place a "Notice of Modification" sticker in a prominent location under the hood anytime they reprogram the computer, but many times they don't bother to place that sticker like they should, so you don't know that it has even been done.

We will also do as we discussed over the phone as well.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 12-01-2000).]

Quick Reply: Premium Gas ? for Mike