Mileage with and without Superchip

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2000, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Mileage with and without Superchip

There has been a couple of posts about gas mileage with the Superchip and I thought I would add some data I have been collecting. I first want to say I have talked with Mike T on the phone about some of my data below. I have the 2000 Harley F150 that has 4000 miles on it with only the Superchip and a K&N filter. Below is a list of mileage with and without the chip and several differnent kinds of premium gas. After I installed the chip I quickly noticed a change in the transmission shifting and really enjoyed it. I did enjoy the chip my first tank and my mileage was terrible at 12.5. So I thought I had better drive slower and I thought to really check my mileage. After the first tank I drove all the rest of the time about the same. No quick starts etc. The first 5 tanks listed below were driven mostly in town along a very similiar route to and from work with very little highway miles. I was concerned after my next tank gave me only 13.65 so I called Mike T and asked about the mileage. He said to try another kind of gas so over the next two months I experimented with different gas but got little or no change in mileage. I did take the chip out for a tank and my mileage returned to 15.2. After Thanksgiving I had the chance to drive a 300 mile trip and back and I used cruise control set at 70 both ways. On the way over I had the chip in and on the way back I took the chip out. Each time I put in or took out the chip in I went through the computer reset. Bottom line is that, for me at least, the Superchip decreased my mileage both city and highway. The good side of the chip is the increased performance which I enjoy. Just more data and it may only apply to my truck. Being a mechanical engineer I tend to be a little meticulous in my data taking so while this is my data I think it is pretty much correct. I am on the Gulf Coast and our temperatures were pretty moderate during this time frame so this is pretty representative cross section of my driving.

Sept 14 Shell - no chip - 15.2 mpg
Sept 29 Chevron - no chip - 15.2 mpg
Oct 8 Shell - with chip - 12.5 mpg
Oct 22 Texaco - with chip - 13.6 mpg
Nov 4 Citgo - with chip - 13.7 mpg
Nov 17 Citgo - no chip - 15.2 mpg
Nov 27 Citgo - chip - 16.8 mpg 300 mile hwy trip
Dec 2 Citgo - no chip - 18.5 mpg 300 mile return trip same route

------------------
2000 HD F150 K&N filter & Superchip
1998 FXDWG 95th Anniversary Model

Quick Reply: Mileage with and without Superchip