Hypertech or Superchip

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2000, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Hypertech or Superchip

What is the difference between the two? I am ready to make the purchase but don't know what is going to be the best for my 1999 5.4.
All help would greatly be appreciated !

[This message has been edited by TommyRox (edited 12-07-2000).]

Old 12-07-2000, 08:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I went with the Superchip brand after reading all of the information on here and the experiences of Superchip owners. It is much better than the Hypertech and delivers more horsepower. The Hypertech works at WOT (wide open throttle)..the Superchip works all the time.

Not to mention...Mike offers outstanding online technical info (for *free*)and a price discount to F-150online members.

You can't beat that!!

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with super engine cooling/auxiliary transmission cooling HD package, Heavy duty shocks, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, FORD bedliner, FORD black tubular cab steps, K&N air filter, mar-hyde rubberized undercoating, Modine climate filtration system, Bugflector II, Mobil 1 oil, build 7/2000

Old 12-07-2000, 09:30 PM
I got the superchip also and man o man I like it. I've never tried the Hypertech so I honestly do not know what it does. However, there is a speed shop near me and the that sells hypertech there told me the dyno results were 5-8 hp. That made it a easy decision because I know I get more than that with the Superchip plus it works so well on the low end during normal driving. Good Luck and I know you will be satisfied with the superchip

------------------
1999 F-150 Lariat SC 2 WD, White/Silver, 5.4L, 3.55LS, K & N FIPK, Superchip, underdrive pulley set, Dynomax Super Turbo Series Exhaust, six disc CD changer, towing package and captain chairs

Old 12-08-2000, 10:23 AM
Exclamation

In my experience.. initially i was very happy. After longer use I was not happy. Some people swear by Hypertech but I for one don't anymore. Bad experiences tend to rub folks the wrong way most of the time.

I don't want to knock Hypertech bad but I think they need to stick to Chevy and GM and leave Ford alone.

I ordered my SuperChip on Tuesday.. should be here today.

Thanks Mike!!

------------------
KV
-----
'97 F150 SuperCab 4.6L Auto 2WD
Burgandy
Nerf Bars
MagnaFlo single in dual out
Hypertech<---GONE!!!
Ordered SuperChip TODAY!!!
K&N filter
Bosch Platinum +4 spark plugs
1/4 16.747 @81.73 (this will improve)
Track Time Pics

Old 12-09-2000, 12:43 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Tommy,

It's a valid question, and there are *very* important differences between the two.

With the Superchip, you get a program that works adding power *all* the time, at any throttle position. With Hypertech, Jet, etc., you get a program that only adds power when you are at WOT (wide-open throttle), the rest of the time it does nothing for power. This is due to a little-known fact, the structure of the emissions laws in this country, during full-throttle operation there are no emissions standards that have to be met, so consequently that is how most chipmakers tune, only on WOT (wide-open throttle), so they reduce their R&D costs drastically by not having to independantly test & certify for emissions compliance like we do, etc. Since you don't spend so much as 5% of your time at WOT, you want a program that works *all* the time, regardless of throttle position, as that is how you improve driveability, power, and the enjoyment of driving on part-throttle, where you spend most of your time. And of course, we make larger power gains on full-throttle too, as well as ourt gains on part-throttle.

With the Superchip, you get a program that was made specifically for the exact software revision in your individual vehicle, whereas with Hypertech, Jet, etc., you get a only one program that has been compromised to run on all similar vehicles. This is very important, as there are 80-150 and sometimes even more different factory programs for these F-150's over the course of each model year! And we make a different program for each and every one of them, so you get a program that has been properly and fully optimized for the exact software revision in your individual vehicle's computer.

Also, the Superchip does not require that you change to a special abnormally low temperature thermostat, as most of Hypertech's applications do.

If you would like to go over this in detail so you can give it some thought, please feel free to give us a call, our number is just below & we're happy to help.

Merry Christmas,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 12-09-2000, 10:30 PM
Smile

Thanks everyone for the feedback - Superchip it is. One more question, do you have to burn Super unleaded after the installation?

------------------
TommyRox
99' 5.4L F-150 XLT White
  • Towing Package
  • Extended Cab
  • 3.55 LS
  • Kenwood 3011 CD Player
  • MTX 2-way speakers
  • Keyless Entry
  • Ford Bug Deflector
  • K&N FIPK
  • Tinted Windows/Vent Visor
  • FlowMaster 40 Series
mullenix@home.com

Old 12-10-2000, 01:06 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
HI Tommy,

Yes, with any performance chip, you have to use premium gasoline. It is the tuning of the engine specifically for premium gasoline that enables us to get much of the raw power gain in these vehicles. One of the nice by-products of that tuning process is a little bit better gas mileage for most people, when not using a lot of heavy throttle. Not a lot, but on average, about 1.5-2.0 more mpg is what gets reported back here on V-8 automatic F-150's. It's just a by-product of the tuning, so your results will depend on how you drive it primarily, like always.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Quick Reply: Hypertech or Superchip