Do I have an aftermarket chip installed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2000, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Do I have an aftermarket chip installed?

Hey guys, I have been looking at the messages since I got my 99 4.6l Supercab just after Thanksgiving.. I have read that my truck should peak at 98 mph. I was in it the other day and decided to try it out.. however, to my amazement it did not stop at 98 mph.. Instead it pegged out and the rpm's kept climbing.. Now I know what it feels like when you hit your mph limit since I used to have a 3.8 l 96 mustang that was limited to 110 mph. I let off when it got to 4000 rpms since I was coming up on traffic really quickly.. My question is could it be possible that the previous owner put in an aftermarket computer chip and if so, how can I find out and which chip it is if there is one? Thanks to all in advance that can shed some light on this..

Old 12-10-2000, 01:14 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Bouncn,

I doubt it, as you would be getting detonation using anything less than a good quality 92 octane gasoline, as any performance chip requires this.

The top speed limiters are not *always* 98 mph, that's just what many of them are. They can be anywhere from 98-108 mph in the 1997 & newer F-150. Since the speedo ends at 100, you can't really tell how fast you're going after that, unless you do the trick that turns the odometer into various different digital gauges, one of which is a digital speedometer that will read much higher speeds. I don't remember how that is done, you'll need to ask someone else about that trick to get the digital gauge readout on the odometer.

However, you can quickly confirm all this by looking at your computer, which is inside the cabin on the passenger side, to the right of the dash assembly and just above the passener's kick panel. You will see that it is held to it's mounting bracket by a black pressure clip. The performance chip mounts right there, on the outside, on the back of the computer, so you would see it immediately, a small rectangular module that would be added onto the back of the computer.

It's also possible that your speedo is off a bit, but I'd say you just have a higher TS limiter, that's all, you may have one that allows 108 mph.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 12-10-2000, 01:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is the link to enable the digital speedometer...and other readouts...
https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/001891.html

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with super engine cooling/auxiliary transmission cooling HD package, Heavy duty shocks, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, FORD bedliner, FORD black tubular cab steps, K&N air filter, mar-hyde rubberized undercoating, Modine climate filtration system, Bugflector II, Mobil 1 oil, build 7/2000

[This message has been edited by Dustoff (edited 12-10-2000).]

Quick Reply: Do I have an aftermarket chip installed?