Throttle Body/Chip

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2004, 07:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Throttle Body/Chip

Ok well i'm buying the 5500 as soon as I call superchips. Is it a good idea to order the throttle body or will it not make much of a difference. The problem is, my Nav is obviously no race car and it's only the 230 HP motor, but I just wanted a little extra power.

Would a throttle body make any difference with the addition of the chip and is it something that mike would take into consideration with the custom tune?

it would be a 75mm bbk throttlle body, and Like i said, i found a great deal on it.

Is the throttle body worth it or not?

Old 07-22-2004, 07:41 PM
don't know if you've seen this, but if not check it out...

https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...hreadid=162379

Old 07-22-2004, 09:28 PM
re

hey, thanks for that link. No, I hadn't seen the thread before, but unfortunately, it doesn't answer my question. If i was going to, or if I even knew how to, or knew someone who would, I'd port the 75mm throttle body to get it even bigger.

However, that doesn't tell me what the performance gains are, if any, in a new throttle body. ?

Old 07-23-2004, 03:22 AM
Thumbs up

Hi PhatNav!
Glad you finally decided to take the plunge and go with the 5500. I just got the 9100 and love it. Mike will take all your mods into account when doing the custom program. I know I've seen a few posts here about what your asking, but I know when you speak with Mike he'll give you the "down-low" and let you know if it's a worthwhile addition and the "bang for the buck" factor. As you already know, he'll steer you right. Let us all know when and what you decide to do and tell us how much more you love your Nav! Take care!
DeeAnna

Last edited by 1miamifan; 07-23-2004 at 03:39 AM.
Old 07-23-2004, 06:09 AM
phat

a tb may add 5-10 rwhp- it's best to clean out the stock tb elbow to utilize the extra throttle response the tb will provide- if ya are getting great deal on it do it- i cleaned up my tb elbow - even with stock tb - it was the same great responsive gains i got as when i put a billet tb on my 2001 dodge ram 360- a dremel tool and some tips and a few hrs is worth it- polish it to a mirror image- my elbow had a lot of extra casting material in it-phil- look on neal the hp freak 's gallery-phil

Old 07-23-2004, 02:37 PM
re:

Thanks for the responses.. I don't know if I'm capable of doing that type of thing Neal did, or if it's worth the effort on a 5500 lb vehicle.

But we'll see. I'll keep you all posted.

Old 07-23-2004, 04:41 PM
how much does it cost to have a 9100 tuner sent into superchips to be programmed if it is purchased from an outside source?

Old 07-23-2004, 08:38 PM
www.troyerperformance.com

give Mike a call...

Old 07-23-2004, 08:58 PM
Re: re:

Originally posted by PhAtNaV
Thanks for the responses.. I don't know if I'm capable of doing that type of thing Neal did, or if it's worth the effort on a 5500 lb vehicle.

But we'll see. I'll keep you all posted.
you'll reap more of the benefits of the tb by doing this- the tb elbow is the bottleneck BEFORE the intake!

Old 07-23-2004, 09:01 PM
Phil

Did you ever do this to your F-150 before you got rid of it?

Old 07-24-2004, 01:15 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Phat,

I wouldn't "diss" your 235 HP version of the 5.4 that the Navigator for for it's first year 1998 model - it still responds to all the same mods.

As for the 75mm TB, on a bone-stock truck, it's worth 5 HP. Now, once you have our tuning on board, and the truck also has a first-class intake kit and cat-back exhaust system on it, then that 75mm TB can be worth as much as 7-8 HP on a 235 HP 5.4, as much as 10 HP on the '99-'03 260 HP PI 5.4's.

As Phil mentioned, it's important to port the TB elbow, too.

Obviously it's not the place to start from a bang for the buck standpoint, and I'd *always* do the tuning long before even thinking about upsizing the throttle body - your engine isn't close to "maxing out" the stock throttle body.

So think of it as a great part, just one whose bang for the buck value comes after things like tuning, intake kit, and a good cat-back exhaust.

Good luck!

Old 07-24-2004, 03:58 PM
Well i currently have a K&N Gen II Fipkit on there right now, and a 3" custom flowmaster Cat back exhuast. So does that mean I'm ready for the TB after the tune?

Last edited by PhAtNaV; 07-24-2004 at 04:05 PM.
Old 07-24-2004, 08:54 PM
Getting ready to get started on my polishing of the throttle body....the parts stores around here suck!

It took me forever to find the sanding wheels and stuff to get the job done.

One question:

Do I have to take the Accelerator cable and all that stuff off to get to the elbow, or do I just leave it connected and take it off of the elbow. Hopefully that makes sense

Then do I have to take the trottle body off with all those vacuum lines and wiring harnesses or can I just shove a rag down there and get to work?

Old 07-25-2004, 04:31 AM
I would think you'd want to atleast take off the TB, not that I know much about the sanding part of it, but It's more of a just in case. I don't think you want something getting stuck down in there, or minor shavings to get through the rag and fall down in there. And being that it is 2:30 am and I am utterly exhuasted, I can't think of the name for "down in there" I'm wanting to say manifold but that's not right.. *sigh* *yawn*

Talk to ya tomorrow

Good luck!

Old 07-25-2004, 04:08 PM
Well, I did it. It took longer (a lot) than I expected. Started at about 9:00 p.m. and got done at 4:30 this morning. It came out looking like a mirror and as smooth as a baby's butt. I took it off completely so I could really get down in there and work on it.

The difference:

I couldn't *feel* a big difference, but where I test just about everything from one stop sign to another street I went from getting up to 62 before polished tb to 65 after. I know it's not an exact science, but I did 3 runs and it came out the same before and after. Also there is a grade I go up coming home and usually it kicks down out of overdrive coming up it and now it doesn't. It kicks out of 5th or torque converter lock-out or whatever it's called, but now out of overdrive.

needless to say, I'm happy with it, and I think it was worth all the work. Now that I've done it, it would only take me about 2 hours now.

Quick Reply: Throttle Body/Chip