CHIP age....

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2000, 01:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post CHIP age....

Hi Mike, thanks for the info... Does it matter which chip I get if I'm planning on exhaust, K&N, Air flow meter change and an edlebrock throttle body ?

Thanks again, JD

Old 12-14-2000, 02:20 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi JD,

For most of the mods you listed no, but changing the mass airflow meter can require a custom program, as they tend to lean out the air fuel ratio and that has to be compensated for.

We don't advise using larger throttle bodies or larger mass airflow meters on stock engines, as there is no appreciable power gain. Only when the engine has been mechanically modified to the point that it can literally outstrip the flow capacity will you see any real power gains from increasing the size of those components, and the factory units are perfectly capable of supporting much more power. It's up to you, but I personally wouldn't go with a bigger MAF or TB unless I had ported heads & bigger cam or a supercharger. Don't get me wrong, they're good parts and they have their place, just not on a basically stock engine if you're looking for good power gains, as a basically stock engine just can't make any use of additional airflow capacity. There is one exception I know of, the Mustang Cobra from 1996 up is a bit strangled in it's MAF, and so they can benefit from a larger MAF in stock trim, but not these vehicles, or most others.

Just to give you an idea, the top 3 bang-for-the-buck mods for these vehicles are:

1.) Optimize the powertrain programming with the Superchip. Maximum gains are 26 hp & 40 lbs./ft. for the 4.6, and 28 hp & 46 lbs./ft. for the 5.4 motor. That product is available from us.

2.) Reduce restriction in the intake air tract, using an airbox eliminaiton kit, like K&N's FIPK kit, or the Airaid unit, either one will add 12 hp to the 4.6, and 14 hp to the 5.4 motor. They are available in the F-150 Online Store.

3.) Reduce restriction on the exhaust side, using a good name-brand cat-back aftermarket exhaust system. Gains are anywhere from 10-14 hp for the 4.6 & 5.4 motors. Several brands are available in the F-150 Online Store.

Those 3 mods you can do in any order you like, and it won't make a negative impact on your end results. Some guys like to do them in order of best bang-for-the-buck, and some guys like to hear the V-8 rumbling thru a nice exhaust system first, that's up to you.

That is what we suggest to get you started, as those 3 mods are going to give a very nice and noticeable improvement in perforamnce driveability, and perhaps even gas mileage once the thrill wears off and you aren't using a lot of heavy throttle checking out the new performance levels of your vehicle after the mods.

Then once you have those 3 done, you can decide if you need more performance, as it's at about that point that adding still more horsepower starts getting considerably more expensive to add.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 12-14-2000).]

Quick Reply: CHIP age....