The chip is in

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2000, 02:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post The chip is in

I put my new chip in yesterday- it took about 45 minutes, including removing the battery & its holder(if you have power locks make sure the passenger door is unlocked before you disconnect the battery!). The instructions were clear, everything went pretty smoothly even though I was kind of rushing through the install. Taking that filmy stuff off of the contacts that the chip connects too was a bit annoying, but easy enough(I gently shaved it off w/ a knife. And it really helps to have your socket set around(there are some metric sizes).

The only bump I had was the truck wouldn't turn over once the chip was installed. I didn't have time to goof around with it so I just pulled it out(literally). I figured I hadn't cleaned the contacts well enough, and would try cleaning them later.The truck started up normally. Later on, too impatient to pull the whole computer out, I tried plugging the chip back in and the truck worked exactly as stock except the theft light flashed intermittently when the truck was off. This morning I disconnected the battery, left my lights in the on position for a minute, and then reconnected the battery. Everything works perfectly.

I haven't had much chance to goof around yet, but there is a definite, obvious improvement. The transmission seems particularly improved, shifting much more smoothly under reasonably hard acceleration.

So far, this seems to be a significant, cost effective improvement over stock. BTW I'm too lazy to track my gas mileage so don't even ask about that.

clancy

------------------
2001 Lariat SC 5.4 4x4 LS ORP Class III 17in wheels Captains seats

Sony ES CDX-M650 Polk EX572a(2 pr.) Dynamats

Westin nerf bar, ARE Z series cap, Yakima rack, Bedrug

Superchip

Old 12-13-2000, 06:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I have also found this to be a great buy for the money. Your mileage will most likely go down at first...because you will feel the need to 'test' the performance of your new Superchip..again..and again..

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with super engine cooling/auxiliary transmission cooling HD package, Heavy duty shocks, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, FORD bedliner, FORD black tubular cab steps, K&N air filter, mar-hyde rubberized undercoating, Modine climate filtration system, Bugflector II, Mobil 1 oil, build 7/2000

Old 12-13-2000, 07:26 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Clancy,

Glad to hear you're enjoying the Superchip

One thing I wanted to mention just briefly, since you had a bit of an issue there at first, is that if all of that coating is not removed, it is possible for it to start and run fine for awhile in some cases, but then to give you a no-start later on, so if you have any doubt as to whether all of it is off or not, you might want to give it a re-check just to save a problem later. I know it can be a bit of a pain, I just don't want to see you have a problem later.

Merry Christmas!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 12-14-2000, 02:04 AM
Clancyb,
I noticed you mentioned something about the theft light flashing intermittently when the truck is off-other than that the truck was normal. My truck always flashes the theft light when its turned off.I think it is normal for it to flash.Kinda like the little red light from a car alarm sytem flashes when the vehicle is off.Fool thieves into thinking there is a good alarm system in there.See where I am going?

Old 12-14-2000, 03:12 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi LC,

You're right, most of these vehicles will flash that anti-theft light when the vehicle is off & locked, ours do that as well.

However, he may have seen it's characteristics change, as if there is not a good connection, then the flashing of that light *can* change sometimes, so that might have been what he noticed perhaps.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 12-15-2000, 09:32 AM
Actually it's flashing anytime the key is out of the ignition, regardless of whether the car is locked or unlocked - thanks for your help

------------------
2001 Lariat SC 5.4 4x4 LS ORP Class III 17in wheels Captains seats

Sony ES CDX-M650 Polk EX572a(2 pr.) Dynamats

Westin nerf bar, ARE Z series cap, Yakima rack, Bedrug

Superchip

Old 12-15-2000, 02:05 PM
Thanks for your help Mike

Old 12-16-2000, 12:22 AM
Former Sponsor
Hi Clancy,

Ahhh, another mystery solved!

It may have been that you just didn't notice that slowly-falshing anti-theft light before you had that problem, I had that happen to me when Ford first stated doing that, and thought I had a problem. The important thing is you found the problem, and you're up and running.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 12-16-2000, 11:10 AM
Former Sponsor
Hi Clancy,

You're very welcome, as always.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: The chip is in