Superchip Installed for 2 weeks...

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2000, 02:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Superchip Installed for 2 weeks...

Well, I have got to admit, I am happy with the superchip!

I got the chip 2 weeks ago, and had it installed about an hour after it came in.
The install was pretty easy, I did have to remove the battery and housing, becuase I wasnt patient enough, trying to squeeze my big hands in that small of an area to re-install the bolt.

I took it out for a test drive that night, having already put in 92 octane a few days earlier. The power was improved, the shifting was sportscarlike, and very responsive.

After a few days of daily driving, I started to notice a harsh downshift from 2nd to 1st, when I was coming to a stop. (Almost a clunk)I kept an eye and ear out for it, but it really hasnt happened since. The difference between the old shifting and the new shifting with the chip is a great improvement.

As far as MPG, I have been driving the heck out of it, and my heavy foot doesnt seem to be a problem. I have put in 2 full tanks and here are the results:

1st fill up after chip; 318 miles, and 22.3 gallons.

2nd fill up after chip; 329 miles, and 22.6 gallons.
This is an average of 14.41 MPG

Almost all of my driving was city, and maybe 50 or so miles freeway. My mileage before was almost exactly the same, but I wasnt leadfooting it nearly as much as I have been with the chip in.

I have already raced my wife with her 2000 Acura, and I pulled away from her very strongly, probably 2 truck lengths in 1/8 of a mile, (before shuting it down) My wife is a very good driver, and she can shift as fast as possible to make it a good race. (Her dad has raced cars for over 30 years and has taught her alot about driving)

I KNOW that Superchips doesnt advertise or claim that the chip will increase or improve gas mileage, and I didn't buy the chip to improve fuel consumption.
They do say that any increase in mpg is a byproduct from the use of the higher octane fuel, but even then it might only be 1 or 2 mpg.

I havent towed anything yet with my truck with or without the chip, so I cant post any opinion or results in that respect.

SOOO...... IMO....
For those of you out there looking for better acceleration and shifting,
the Superchip definetely does exactly what it says it can do!

As I stated when I started this post, I am happy with the chip, and I feel it is an excellent value for $225.

------------------
White 2000 XLT Flareside 4X2 Supercab, 5.4L Triton V-8, Automatic-3.55 LS, Class III Tow Package, Duraliner, White gauge faceplate, Alpine 60w x 4 CDA-7863.
Superchip
FUTURE MODS:
-K&N FIPK
-2001 Lightning wheels?
-Lightning front bumper cover, & foglights
-MTX Thunderforms for S/C
-Upgraded speakers in doors
-amplifier
-2" drop, front & rear
(I think that is a good start)

Old 12-15-2000, 04:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Well, I guess I could have given more info about MPG, but I wanted to avoid that issue all together. To some it is important, but not with me, when it comes to the chip.

For the record, my MPG PRE-CHIP was 14 to 16 Averaged. Best being 16.6, worst 14.2. I do keep track, because if there is a large discrepancy, I can tell something is wrong. That average has to do with mostly freeway, but some of that freeway is with bumper to bumper traffic. I no longer have to commute to work 30 miles each way, so all of the recent miles have been with the chip, and around town, with minimal freeway driving.

The 2 tanks WITH the chip have resulted in 14.4 average mpg. Well within my original range.

I guess my driving habits havent changed too much, only my commute.

I do accelerate when someone tries to outrun me from a light, but no one seems to want to run with me. I guess I havent run into any punky kids that think they are invincible! HA! I did see a brand new Tundra getting on the freeway just as I was getting off, the other day. I should have stayed on and roasted him, but I didnt...Oh well, I am sure I will get another chance.

I will just re-iterate, I didnt buy the chip for improved MPG. I am happy with the chip, and would recommend it to anyone wanting to improve their truck!

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

------------------
White 2000 XLT Flareside 4X2 Supercab, 5.4L Triton V-8, Automatic-3.55 LS, Class III Tow Package, Duraliner, White gauge faceplate, Alpine 60w x 4 CDA-7863.
Superchip
FUTURE MODS:
-K&N FIPK
-2001 Lightning wheels?
-Lightning front bumper cover, & foglights
-MTX Thunderforms for S/C
-Upgraded speakers in doors
-amplifier
-2" drop, front & rear
(I think that is a good start)

Old 12-16-2000, 12:31 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Slickford,

Thanks for your post.

Since you were using heavier throttle, I'm a bit surprised that your mileage didn't actually drop a bit, that's pretty normal when checking out the new performance levels after first installing a new go-fast part. The mileage usually comes back up as the novelty of a new go-fast part wears off, and driving returns to "normal".

In the banner ad that the Webmaster was kind enough to design for us a couple of years ago by taking materials from the manufacturer's web site, it does say increased mpg, but we have always made it very clear that this is strictly a by-product of the tuning on part-throttle on these gasoline engines, as you correctly pointed out, thank you. We've always made it perfectly clear that we cannot guarantee mileage increases in every situation on any brand of fuel, as that of course cannot be done. So we try to let people know what gets reported back to us, who is getting what results with what brand of gasoline, etc., as it all contributes to a better understanding of what to expect.

Glad to see you're enjoying your Superchip, & Merry Christmas!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 12-16-2000, 11:15 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Slickford,

We understand, just post whatever you feel comfortable posting.

As long as you're happy and you're enjoying it, that's all that matters, and we hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Quick Reply: Superchip Installed for 2 weeks...