HEY MIKE? MPG COMPUTER NOW SAYS 10.1MPG INSTEAD OF 12.7 AFTER CHIP INSTALL?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2000, 05:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post HEY MIKE? MPG COMPUTER NOW SAYS 10.1MPG INSTEAD OF 12.7 AFTER CHIP INSTALL?

Hey Mike.Im in the Doghouse with the wife!! ahahahah
Overhead computer now says 10.3 to 10.1 mpg in the city.
It used to say 12.7???
Will this correct itself?

Thanks
Bryan Pritchard/Tacticalweaponry
www.tacticalweaponry.com

Old 12-11-2000, 06:04 PM
Not if you keep you foot in it. Impossible to light foot it with the chip. I know I don't have that kind of will-power. With the mods I have on my truck, I just keep the pedal to metal (or close to it) and a spare Chevron card to replace the one I'm burning up putting it into the pump computer.

------------------
2000 F150 XLT SuperCab, Short Bed, 4X4, ORP, 5.4L, Auto Trans, 3.55LS, Captains Chairs with power drivers seat, rear slider, class III towing package, remote entry with alarm and just about everything you can get on this truck. Added a Ford bug deflecter, floor mats, a Dynamax Race magnum muffler and 3" mandrel bent pipes, Superchip, K&N FIPK Gen II, Bilstein shocks, Redline Synthetic oil, Kenwood stereo system and an MTX Thunder 204 4 channel amp.

Old 12-12-2000, 01:42 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Full Auto,

Ron's response is right on the money, as it's very common for people when they first get the Superchip to drive it harder, whether it's deliberate or not, it's just natural to use a bit more throttle for the first few weeks, and, for some people, months.

It also takes awhile for some of the 1999 & newer models for the fuel trim curves to adapt to the new programming, that can take as long as 1500-2000 miles in some vehicles, and only 500 or so miles in others, we've seen some variances there on newer vehicles in just how long that process takes.

As we discussed over the phone, the first thing to do is to use a higher-energy content fuel, something like Texaco, Amoco, or Citgo, in that order of preference. The Exxon you have in the tank now has one of the lowest energy contents of all the "name brand" gasolines, so that's one thing to look at, aside from driving habits. I have forgotten off the top of my head what part of the country you are in, but if you're in the East, Shell has also given good results in the East, but not out West.

Use a higher energy-content fuel, and give it some time so for eth fuel trim curve to do it's adjustments and for both you and your wife's driving habits get back to a more normal pace after the novelty of having the Superchip wears off. It's also a good idea, if you want to see just which of your local gasolines has the highest energy content, to perhaps try 2-3 tanks each of several different brands, and track your mileage consistently, and manually as well. Though the trip computers are usually pretty close, anytime you want these kinds of results it's best to do the manual calculations of gas mileage every time you fill up. I would start off by going with the brands that traditionally have given better mileage more often than not, which are the brands I listed, and take it from there.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 12-15-2000, 12:09 AM
Please post your findings!!!

Keep a log... Thats good data to have!

Old 12-15-2000, 09:33 PM
Full Auto,

If you saw my reply to your question about the Airaid, you know I installed mine already. I got the chip installed today. It took me about 1.5 hours. About 45 minutes of it was removing and reinstalling the ECU bracket so I could modify it so the ECU mounted more solid without the tab's pressing on the chip. I just felt the tab's pushed a little too hard on the chip when I reinstalled the retainer clip. Other than that, it was a breeze. I *did* opt to remove the battery just because it gave me a little more room. Heck, it was one little 8mm bolt to loosen.

Anyhow, as for MPG right off the bat, I've only got about 40 miles on it since the install. The driving was a little bit of *test it out* and mostly cruising to the mall with the family to do a little shopping and see "The Grinch" (not that great). I did show it off to the wife a little bit trying to get her to buy into all this perfomance mod stuff but she wasn't all that impressed; no surprise but I tried. I though I might get her to want to start modifying her Volvo....maybe not.

All performance enhancments aside, so far I'm surprised in the MPG. I rolled into the garage with about 13 MPG on the overhead after about 40 miles of driving. We had some sitting in traffic to do as well or I believe it would have reached 14. Of course it's pretty early to tell much of anything. I normally get about 13.5 to 14 in *my* city driving that's about 75% highway. Of course that *highway* driving includes a lot of sitting in traffic.

*DISCLAIMER* This reply is *NOT* a result of anyone in any way claiming any MPG gains with the Superchip. Every mention of changes in MPG I have seen or heard have been very qualified to the fact that Superchips does not claim MPG improvements, only that in some cases, some people claim so have observed an increase and list many conditions that will/do impact MPG both negitivly and positively. In my experiance Superchips and distributors I'm familiar with, tout the Superchip as a PERFORMANCE chip, not an *Economy* chip**

Just had to do that. Of course it's not directed at any particular annoying and uninformed person posting to these forums.....but if it happens to fit a specific situation.......

So back to business. I've already been running premium, at least the current and last tank. I switch back and forth sometimes but with this Expey, I've never noticed any difference in 87 or 93 octane. With a 4.0 Grand Cherokee I sold a few months ago, I had to run Premium or at least mid-grade all the time so it wouldn't knock under hard acceleration.

So, with an almost full tank of Texaco premium (after a tank of Exxon premium) the first thing that was very noticable as I rounded the corner in front of my house was the tranny shifting, very nice. I was a little worried from what I had heard it may be a bit hard, not at all. Still very smooth but very precise and solid. No more hunting and slipping in and out of OD when slightly accelerating like it did when passing at highway speeds. If I nail it at 40-50, it shifts firm now and hits 80-90 quickly. I do notice a definate increase in power. I wasn't expecting to be able to light up the 2 rear 275/60/17's and still can't, (on new concrete it tries to bawl them a little though) but from standing, it definitly stands up and moves. It now hit's 2nd firm at about 47 MPH and does it pretty darn quick. Overall, I'm pleased. In daily traffic I have no problem moving this 5400 lbs out and around anyone and quicker than ever.

I won't go on and on as most anyone reading this has probably heard all this already. I'll keep tabs on MPG and post as I see what it does.

Not knowing your driving conditions Full Auto, but our 2 Expey's starting out pretty much the same, I wonder if the Airaid isn't what helps with the MPG. After all, Evergreen DOES market their Airaid product as improving MPG a little.

------------------
2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x2
Estate Green
5.4 ltr
3:55 LS rear
Tow Package
Superchip
Airaid FIPK
Rear Load Leveling
Moonroof
Century Child Seat for the young'n!

[This message has been edited by FamilyRide (edited 12-15-2000).]

Old 12-15-2000, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the update...sounds like you had a good install also.
How did you modify your ECU bracket? beside just bending it.

I am up to 11.7 on my mpg thingy now. I guess we are keeping the foor out of it and it learning.......

Bryan Pritchard
www.tacticalweaponry.com

Expeditions and a M60...Man thats power!!!!

Old 12-15-2000, 11:44 PM
Just that. But I pulled it out so I could get a good straight bend out flat for the length of the chip leaving the tab in place down low where it could secure the ECU. It wasn't that bad. It's just that when I pushed the ECU back in place where it would be with the retainer, the chip moved slightly from leaning on the tab.

------------------
Estate Green
5.4 ltr
Tow Package
Superchip
Airaid FIPK
Rear Load Leveling
Moonroof
Century Child Seat!

Trending Topics

Old 12-15-2000, 11:50 PM
You taped the Chip to the ECU right?

Bryan

Old 12-17-2000, 12:07 AM
Yes I did. 2 pieces of 1/2 inch electical tape spaced evenly worked great.

------------------
Estate Green
5.4 ltr
Tow Package
Superchip
Airaid FIPK
Rear Load Leveling
Moonroof
Century Child Seat!

Quick Reply: HEY MIKE? MPG COMPUTER NOW SAYS 10.1MPG INSTEAD OF 12.7 AFTER CHIP INSTALL?