My 2 Cents (Superchips/Mods)

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2000, 09:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post My 2 Cents (Superchips/Mods)

I think a lot of people that come here are looking for information on chips and other performance mods. They read the reviews to find the best cheap mod for there truck. Some people make the superchip sound like it will turn you truck into rocket ship some do not. I do think when they see rocket ship some stop reading.

So what happens next? They call and order a chip/mod. Then even get more worked up about it after talking to the salesmen. Then when they get it and install it and find out that it does not do all is was hyped to do some get mad? Some even post hard numbers to back up their claim of performance and or lack of it.

Now for my 2 cents.

Lots of people have bought these chips/mods because of what they have read and heard.
(This really applies to all mods)

More people are getting mad about chips/mods and posting their findings because they feel that they do not do what they were told/advertised to do.
(Free speech is a great thing)

Now for the real kicker. (Mike T.) A lesson

The customer is always right!!!!!!!!

Always work with the customer to make things right. (Wal-Mart ring a bell?)

Never bash or try to discredit a customer.
(BAD)

If you feel a customer is wrong than just respectfully disagree and try to help them.

The superchip only has $15.00 worth of parts in it so how hard would it be not to help someone or give them a full refund. (My tech friends and me took an old one apart)

Maybe we should start a chip/mod FAQ and see if the Webmaster here will post it.

------------------
97 XLT 4.6L SC 4X4 ORP Gibson Catback
JBA Headers.. Hot Coated
Ford Motorsport 9MM wires
SuperChip
Supercharged
JLL Stealthbox
Rockford Fosgate punch 45 to drive stealthbox

Old 12-16-2000, 08:59 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Gorp,

I beg to differ with you. I am a self-employed Grain Broker. I sell Agricultural products for a commission. You are semi-correct ( can I say that?) The customer is not always right. When A customer openly tries to discredit my work I draw the line. I earn my keep based on my reputation and when someone tries to sully that, my livelihood is threatened and that is when I stop thinking " the customer is always right"

Kindest regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd 3.55LSD
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks,
BFG 285/75 R16 MTs,
Borla Cat Back, Headman Headers,
Modified Air Cleaner Outlet Tube
and air box, Ported Throttle body,
Shortened MAF sensor tower,
K&N air filter,
Superchips

[This message has been edited by JMC (edited 12-16-2000).]

Old 12-17-2000, 03:06 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

HI!... Well I guess I'm BIAS, because MIKE's chip knocked 6.3 tenths off my truck in the 1/4 mile.

When I was in highschool (too many years now, to remember) they taught us in buisness class the 2 most important rules in buisness are

RULE #1 - The customer is always right.

RULE #2 - When the customer is wrong, refer back to rule #1.

I personally have never beleived in this theary. I beleive in the CANADIAN theary on this matter. There are 3 rules to this theary:

RULE #1 - The customer is always right.

RULE #2 - When the customer is wrong, refer back to rule #1.

RULE #3 - If the customer is wrong and being an A$$HOLE about it, then introduce him to a "MISTER COOPER" baseball bat! LOL!

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK"
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan, custom ported (STOCK) throttle body, custom digital air intake temp sensor, custom ported TB intake elbow, relocated ATS.

FUTURE MODS : FORD SVT 24LB INJECTORS, CUSTOM SUPERCHIP FLIP-CHIP, BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, 80MM PRO-M MASS AIR METER, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD WITH CUSTOM FABRICATED RAM AIR SET-UP, CAL-TRAC TRACTION BARS, EXTRUDE HONED INTAKE MANIFOLD, SHM CUSTOM FUEL RAILS, SHM "RACE WATER PUMP, 90/10 FRONT CE SHOCKS, 70/30 REAR CE SHOCKS, BELL TECH 2/4 DROP, EXPEDITION CENTER CONSOLE, HARLEY DAVISON F-150, LOWER FRONT VALANCE (painted oxford white) and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER.

ESTIMATED H.P TO DATE : 330H.P / 425ft/lbs of torque.

CURRENT PERFORMANCE : 1/4 MILE - 14.53E.T * MPH - 93.00 * 0-60MPH - 5.8 * 1/8 MILE - 9.2 * 60 FT - 2.0

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 15.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon RCI fuel cell,etc

Old 12-17-2000, 06:07 AM
RIGHT ON NEAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Mark

Old 12-17-2000, 08:12 AM
I tend to agree. However, I am finding more and more these days that customer service is a thing of the past! People just want their money NOW... I live in an area where customer service has gone to crap. However, this does NOT apply to the industry I work in.

The customer IS always right, unless you can convince them otherwise. If you can't do this without loosing your job then.... THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT!

I work for people who are VERY high in the Government. These people report to Congress, Generals, and the President.
These people tend to value my opinion and look to me for advice. Why, because they hired me as the expert consultant. However, that does not mean they always agree with what I say. Even though they are often wrong, THEY PAY THE BILLS! I do what they say, even though I know I'll be doing the work over again!

The relationship of Customer and Merchant is a very intersting subject and takes time to master. Just when you think you've got it licked.... You find just how stupid you really are! Its a never ending process of learning!

A tough customer can be a GREAT challenge!
I think Mike T does a pretty good job for the line of business he's in.

Mike's line of work gives him MANY luxuries that I dont have when it comes to my clients! It must be nice!

The difference is the money! With Mike, only $250 is at stake... With me and my customers, its millions to billions...

Old 12-17-2000, 08:56 AM
I agree that Mike T. is an extremely good guy and has helped lots of people. He just needs to be a little bit more understanding when it comes to people that are disputing his product.

Maybe Mike T. could offer a special bolt on thruster pack for those that want the more ultimate road type power.

------------------
97 XLT 4.6L SC 4X4 ORP Gibson Catback
JBA Headers.. Hot Coated
Ford Motorsport 9MM wires
SuperChip
Supercharged
JLL Stealthbox
Rockford Fosgate punch 45 to drive stealthbox

Old 12-17-2000, 09:42 AM
Gorp,

The primary problem with those wanting a performance chip like a SuperChip is that they read too much optimism in what they are going to get.

From my experience the 10% gains on average is legitimate and proven. Too many obtain the impression that a SuperChip in an F150 is going to make their truck a Mustang GT and we all (well, some of us) know it ain't gonna happen. Ten percent is 10%, not 30% or 50%.

When they don't get the performance of a GT from their truck, a promise they were never given, the ruckus begins. Some people just don't have the knowledge and common sense regarding the laws of physics.

There are other nice by products of the SuperChip regarding crisper trans shifts. I have yet to document the possibility of better gas mileage but my driving habits make an 18 wheeler's fuel mileage look good so I'll abstain from this one.

If performance was so important to truck buyers then a Lightning is the answer or a Camaro or a Mustang GT. When I bought my SuperChip I had no allusions of what I was going to gain performance-wise. And it was right at what a qualified guess should be: about .3-.4 tenths in the quarter mile.

I believe there is a 30 day no questions asked return for full refund policy with a SuperChip. What else do you want?

Dealing with the public is not a lot of fun, especially when some have predetermined, illogical, expectations and heads of stone.

Many "test" their SuperChips gains simply at a stop light, general feel of their vehicle, etc. There is no way this can be done with any consistency or validity. If the really want to know what they gained then take it to the drag strip. But no, they are too lazy to get off thier butts to make a valid evalutation.

I tested mine at the strip and came away with reliable "before and after" results. Those that do not want to take the time to do this can sit home and bitch all they want and it all doesn't mean a thing until they can "Show me the numbers."

Meanwhile, the "Customer is always right," even if some of them do have their heads up their a$$.......

------------------
Dunbarton "The Middle Aged Kid" '99 XLT SC SB 4x2 4.6 auto 3.55 ls The occasional Z-71 Eater! Wedgewood & Denim, SuperChipped, Airaid FIPK, HD electrical and cooling, power seat, Rhino Liner, Extang Classic tonneau cover, Mobil 1. Man, I got it all! (New Jersey)

[This message has been edited by Dunbarton (edited 12-17-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Dunbarton (edited 12-17-2000).]

Old 12-17-2000, 02:17 PM
Thumbs down

The customer is ALWAYS right?

That is a very antiquated statement. This is the new millenium! There are way to many customers trying to get something for nothing, then complaining about it.

That statement alone CANNOT cover the broad spectrum of what a "customer" actually is these days.

In most cases the customer should get the benefit of the doubt! Making sure that the consumer is happy with your product is very important, in any field, but there is no way to please everyone all the time, and I dont have any problem telling a "customer", "No, Sir, that is incorrect!"

The blue light was NOT on when you picked up the Fruit of the Looms! haha

------------------
White 2000 XLT Flareside 4X2 Supercab, 5.4L Triton V-8, Automatic-3.55 LS, Class III Tow Package, Duraliner, White gauge faceplate, Alpine 60w x 4 CDA-7863.
Superchip
FUTURE MODS:
-K&N FIPK
-2001 Lightning wheels?
-Lightning front bumper cover, & foglights
-MTX Thunderforms for S/C
-Upgraded speakers in doors
-amplifier
-2" drop, front & rear
(I think that is a good start)

Old 12-18-2000, 07:55 AM
Dunbarton:

Very nicely put!!

I feel exactly the way you do. I too am tired of people boasting or complaining that cant/dont/wont post any data or information.

"they are too lazy to get off thier butts to make a valid evalutation."

Yessurreeebob! RIGHT ON THE HEAD!

People have critisized me and claim some of my threads turn into "Soap opera's" (thanks Mike T).
I revert back to:

"they are too lazy to get off thier butts to make a valid evalutation."

Old 12-18-2000, 10:43 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Transport Canada publishes a booklet that lists the fuel consumption of all the vehicles sold in Canada for the year. Their test methods are consistent so even if they do not reflect the "real world" consumption they at least test each vehicle the same way.
I can then safely compare my ford's consumption to that of a Dodge or a Chev. Running a tank of gas through my truck this week and then installing a chip next week and running it again is not a proper comparison. I ran a milage log from Sept 99 to June 00 on my 00 and it is in no way proper but it will give me an idea of what to expect. Is it Scientific? Of coarse not! Did I post it? Of coarse not! It proves nothing. So Show me the "proper" numbers, please.

Kindest regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd 3.55LSD
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks,
BFG 285/75 R16 MTs,
Borla Cat Back, Headman Headers,
Modified Air Cleaner Outlet Tube
and air box, Ported Throttle body,
Shortened MAF sensor tower,
K&N air filter,
Superchips

Quick Reply: My 2 Cents (Superchips/Mods)