Superchip installation tip

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2000, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Superchip installation tip

After installing the Superchip, I didn't feel any noticeable gain in power, shift points, etc., so I thought...what did I do wrong. I see so many posts on the noticeable power gains and shift improvements, I was perplexed. I disconnected the battery per Mike's instructions, and left it disconnected for the entire install, about 45 minutes (well longer than the 5 minutes). I talked to Mike T. and re-traced my installation, and we decided to try something. What I failed to do was leave the computer module connected for the entire 5 minute period - I yanked it about 3 minutes after disconnecting the battery, which didn't give it enough time to reset. Upon Mike's advise, I disconnected the battery again, this time for about 15 minutes with the computer module connected to the wiring harness. Yep, now I notice the difference - I was getting worried.

So, to make a long story short, I'd recommend leaving the computer module plugged in for at least 5 minutes after you disconnect the battery (before removing to install the Superchip). The Superchip will engage immediately versus waiting for the module to take over. (Mike - feel free to keep me honest here)

Thought this might help - I'll let you know my numbers with my current set-up after I hit the track. By the way, anyone know where in the Dallas, TX area I can get my truck clocked (0-60, 1/8 mile, 1/4 mile, etc.)?

Thanks for your help Mike - your advise was on the money.

SlickWilly

------------------
99 F-150 5.4L 4x2 Supercab Flairside Lariat, Amazon Green 2-tone
Mods: Bed Rails, Ford Bed Liner, K&N FIPK, Flowmaster Force II Exhaust System, JBA Headers, Superchip

Old 12-18-2000, 01:45 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi SlickWilly2,

Great post!

I enjoyed speaking with you on the phone about this awhile back, I'm glad to see you took our advice about clearing the computer's memory so you can see & feel the difference "back-to-back".

The way we usually do it is to disconnect the battery, remove the computer, do the Superchip installation, and then after putting the computer back in the vehicle, but *before* re-connecting the battery, we'll turn the headlights on for 5 full minutes, and *then* re-connect the battery and drive off. The headlights won't actually come on of course, as there is no power to them, but turning them on for 5 minutes like that, with the computer and Superchip both installed and connected, drains all the residual voltage from the IC's & capacitors in the system, so that the computer's memory is fully cleared, and you get a complete fresh program load. If you don't do that, then it takes a couple days of driving to have the Superchip program gradually overwrite what's sitting in memory, and so the power gains come on very gradually. So this is simply a technique to show better immediate results, basically.

Thanks for your post!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 12-18-2000, 01:49 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
SlickWilly2, looks like the closest 1/4 track is the Texas Motorplex.

Enjoy!

http://www.chasinracin.net/index1.html

Old 12-18-2000, 04:37 PM
Lightbulb

Slickwilly2,

This reply is not to question whether you are actually seeing any performance gains or not but to clarify and correctly state some information presented to you here on this thread.

The computer in the F150 has what are
commonly referred to as both volatile and non-volatile memory.

There is NO "local" battery memory backup in the computer itself, when power is removed from the computer all volatile memory is lost
within a second at the VERY MOST! This is the "learned" stuff stored away during operation.

Volatile memory is the type that needs DC power continuosly in order to retain any data written too/contained within it. PC's have
a small coin shape NiCd type battery on the mother board that maintains this type of data when power is interrupted. A common example is the system time and date information. The F150 computer has NO such battery! It does have volatile memory where it stores "learned" information during operation. All of that is lost in a heartbeat when the computer is removed!

Non-volatile memory is written to a device
and stays in the device regardless of whether power has been removed or not. The Superchip is of this type. It is a look up table that the computer refers to for tuning parameters.
Similar to the one in the computer itself that the Superchip is bypassing.

Erasing the volatile memory in the computer has nothing to do with whether the headlights are on or not, or for how long. Simply removing the computer from the vehicle is sufficient for this.

The ONLY WAY that the vehicle would retain old "learned" data and slowly respond to the Superchip is if you added the chip without disconnecting the battery from the vehicle or the computer from the harness with the battery in. I do not recomend this.

You may want to rethink what may have actually happened here, its no big deal but something else is going on. I guarantee you that the explanantion you have received so far on this thread is absolutely INCORRECT!

Just thought I would let you know as it may come in handy some day down the road to know the facts!

Happy Holidays!

Gonenorth1

Old 12-18-2000, 05:42 PM
Question

No, the sky is NOT blue....

Geez, talk about trying to discredit anything and everything said by a certain respected, accredited, and very helpful person on this site.

End the witch hunt. Lets get a certified electrical engineer, (or someone with extensive electrical knowledge, who actually cares), to say whether or not this residual current is remotely possible, so gone north can go north and drop the shenanigans...

I am sorry that you feel that you must do this on such a great website.

------------------
White 2000 XLT Flareside 4X2 Supercab, 5.4L Triton V-8, Automatic-3.55 LS, Class III Tow Package, Duraliner, White gauge faceplate, Alpine 60w x 4 CDA-7863.
Superchip
FUTURE MODS:
-K&N FIPK
-2001 Lightning wheels?
-Lightning front bumper cover, & foglights
-MTX Thunderforms for S/C
-Upgraded speakers in doors
-amplifier
-2" drop, front & rear
(I think that is a good start)

[This message has been edited by Slickford (edited 12-18-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Slickford (edited 12-18-2000).]

Old 12-18-2000, 07:18 PM
Red face

Slickford,

All I was trying to do was present factual
information about the design and function of the computer in the F150.

Mike T. and others asked that I contribute information or leave, I was trying to contribute.

I'm sorry if I have offended you some how.

I wrote facts, take it or leave it.

You were just more personally abusive to me than I ever have been to anyone on this site.

Gonenorth1

Old 12-18-2000, 07:43 PM
Thumbs up

No offense taken by me, Gonenorth1. And I apologize for being harsh.

If you say you have factual info, thats fine. I think you have made a few good points on other posts, but this seems to be a witch hunt against certain people.

Continue to post the facts, and back up what you say with data. Isnt that what you have said all along? Well that is what I am asking you to do. See we do agree on some things!

I bought the Superchip becuase of all the information on this site. Positive or negative, if it was on here, then I read it.

I for one did exactly as was instructed when I installed my chip, and everything went fine. I would suggest that everyone else who gets a chip in the future do exactly what the salesman or instructions say.

Gonenorth, continue to post a good arguement, but please do not just post opinions without facts, as I am sure I just did!!!

------------------
White 2000 XLT Flareside 4X2 Supercab, 5.4L Triton V-8, Automatic-3.55 LS, Class III Tow Package, Duraliner, White gauge faceplate, Alpine 60w x 4 CDA-7863.
Superchip
FUTURE MODS:
-K&N FIPK
-2001 Lightning wheels?
-Lightning front bumper cover, & foglights
-MTX Thunderforms for S/C
-Upgraded speakers in doors
-amplifier
-2" drop, front & rear
(I think that is a good start)

Trending Topics

Old 12-18-2000, 08:30 PM
I have seen volatile RAM maintained for several hours with no power in other industrial applications.

------------------
97 Lariet-sc-4.6-4x off road-auto-3.55 LS-
superchip-K&N-3"
pvc air box mod-Granetelli MAF

Old 12-18-2000, 09:08 PM
My 2 cents, I agree with the volatile and non-volatile thing but I think the idea of disconnecting the battery and turning on the lights is the best way to address, in the most generel terms, a vast audience of varied expertise. Simply cut the power and bleed it dry to the point that there's no question.

It's for that rare case that some transient current may be lingering somewhere. Not knowing all the equipment or option's in every application if you're not a 100% genuine expert, there may be that slight chance.

------------------
2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x2
Estate Green
5.4 ltr
3:55 LS rear
Tow Package
Superchip
Airaid FIPK
Rear Load Leveling
Moonroof
Century Child Seat!
Gibson Stainless Steel Swept Side Ordered!

Old 12-18-2000, 11:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

I was also puzzled when my chip had no effect at first,I didn't leave the lights on long enough.....I definitely felt it when I did ,though. gonenorth,big thumbs up on the explanation,your on the right track,now
Now,if I could just figure out why the idiots that build corporate housing always put the grounded outlets in upside down
It makes adapters fall out of the plugs,,,,,,,98

Now,if you could only stop the attacks on
Mike,you'd be more popular

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
Yokahama AVS/ST's
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk .powdercoat
Clear front corners
Stillen Quad light air dam, sweet!!
Euro taillights
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
[b]Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
Viper alarm
On the way/wheels,tires, etc..etc.......
doin the monochromatic boogie
on the front end.

Come see my new picturesat www.my-f150.com

officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!

Old 12-19-2000, 01:13 PM
Wink

Hi Mike, I guess that could be the problem why some of the guys around this site ,don't get instant results on the dyno, maybe they should try this fix,if this is the case. All i know is that most every one on this site has alot of good things to say about the superchip and you. I my self will be geting one soon, so i will like to talk to you about a few things. Paul

Old 12-20-2000, 12:53 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Guys,

Its' very simple....IC's (integrated circuits) and capacitors are well-known for retaining residual voltage in a system, and if that residual voltage is not drained, then it simply takes a couple of days of driving for the new program to fully take effect. Plain and simple, it's been proven countless times.

Just disconnecting the battery during installation of the Superchip is *sometimes* enough, and *sometimes* it's not, so that is why we make this procedure that we use known to everyone. We have to do the exact same thing anytime dyno work is done, anytime the engineers or technicans at Superchips make a change to the program on a vehicle on the dyno, this same procedure of disconnecting the battery and turning the lights on to drain residual voltage is used to insure that the changes take effect right away. Very simple.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Quick Reply: Superchip installation tip