HUH???

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2000, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post HUH???

I dont mean to be a moron here or anything but i am a little confused. I am wondering, does a chip give you more power than a power programmer? Or vise versa? What is the difference between the two as far as result goes? Also what is the price on each of these and what are the power gains with each? Which is a better deal for the power you gain?

Old 12-18-2000, 12:09 AM
Cool

It depends on what year vehicle you have. For example, Hypertech doesn't make the programmer for the 99' 5.4L.
Basically, the programmer gives you the increased performance and extra features like changing the speed limiter, tire corrections, and shift points. The superchip has pretty much all the same except for the tire correction (but I could be wrong). Also, on the Hypertech you'll have to change the thermostat and costs about $150.00 more. I'm very happy with the Superchip. Get ahold of Mike at Superchip, he's a wiz at this.

------------------
1999 F250 LD S/C XLT 4x4
5.4L, 3.73, 4R100 trans.
Flowmaster 40 "DF" series, K&N, Superchip, WMS Velocity Tube, Rancho RSX shocks, Hellwig rear swaybar, Stull billet grille, 2-PIAA Pro80XT's (120W), 2-KC Daylighters (150W), Clear Side Lens Mod w/ 9006 (55W bulbs). 265/70 R17 BFG AT KO's on 17x8 American Racing Atlas rims
Kenwood 7007 CD, Alpine 3342 Signal Processor, Alpine MRV-F353 5Ch. Amp, Pioneer TS-A6865 3-way speakers, MTX Thunderforms. CompuStar alarm/autostart. On the way: Performance Accessories 3" body lift, 33/12.5/17 ProComps, GSP grille guard and more KC's

Old 12-18-2000, 02:43 AM
Jupiterak pretty much nailed it on the head.However if I am not mistaken, the superchips can be programmed for tire size and gear size changes,amongst other things that can be added to the basic program that they come with.Mike will be more than happy to go over all the details w/you.The chip is definately the best bang for the buck.

Old 12-18-2000, 01:37 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Turtle9343,

You're not a moron at all, don't feel that way, your questions are perfectly normal for someone trying to sort it all out, and make sure they get the best product for their needs.

Just talking about the hardware, it doesn't matter how you get the new program into the computer that determines it's power gain, it's the quality of the actual program itself. How it's delivered to the computer is just a matter of preference & expense. We've had the Superchips Micro Tuner, which is basically like the Power Programmer, for the GM vehicles for years and years now, because they *require* that more expensive type of device. We don't do it for the Fords simply because that type of device is quite a bit more expensive than a "chip", without any additional power gains, so that is why we haven't released a similar unit for the Fords.

The Superchip adds more power than Jet, Hypertech, etc., as each Superchip is programmed for the exact software revision that was loaded into your vehicle's computer from the factory, whereas Hypertech, Jet, etc., only provide one program that has been compromised to run on all similar vehicles, like only one program for all 1998 F-150 4.6 automatics, for example, whereas the Superchip has over 40 for that model year & powertrain combo alone.

Also, the Superchip, unlike the others, tunes not only across the entire rpm range, but also tunes and adds power at *all* throttle positions, so regardless of throttle position, there is always more power available with the Superchip.

Those are the 2 key differences, programming for each individual software revision in these vehicles, and the fact that it works adding power *all* the time, not just at wide-open throttle. And those 2 key aspects make all the difference in the world in how the vehicle actually feels as a result.

You see, the emissions laws in this country are structured so that during full-throttle operation, there are no emissions standards that have to be met, so if you as a chipmaker only tune at WOT (wide-open throttle), then you save a ton of money in R&D costs, as you don't have to have independant certification for emissions compliance like we have to, etc., but that also gives you a poor program that only adds power when you have your foot all the way to the floor. That doesn't help driveability, towing, etc., and the Superchip is much different, it adds power *all* the time.

With regards to pricing, the Werbmaster here has a policy of not discussing exact pricing issues to keep the message boards clear of blatant commerical content. I can tell you that the Superchip is quite a bit less expensive than the Hypertech, and for exact numbers, please feel free to give us a call or shoot us an email, our contact info is just below. We also have an online ordering system here, and the link to it is also below as well.

Another aspect is that the Superchip does not require that you use an abnormally cold thermostat either, and most Hypertech applications do require it, adding additional expense, etc. We don't like that idea as you just do not want to take heat out of the combustion process, as these engines make their best peak power at a coolant temperature of 190-200 degrees, which is also where you get the best gas mileage and cleanest emissions as well. Taking heat out of the combustion process with a cold thermostat like that also contributes to increase combustion chamber deposits over time as well as negatively affect heater operation in the winter in some cases.

The exact power gains will of course depend on which powertrain you have, but basically you'll pick up a 10%-12% power gain with the Superchip. The rated gains from the Superchip are a maximum of 25 hp & 31 lbs./ft. for the 4.2 V-5 F-150, 26 hp & 40 lbs./ft. for the 4.6 V-8, and 28 hp & 46 lbs./ft. for the 1999 & newer 5.4's, with the 1997 & 1998 5.4's picking up just a tad less.

In terms of bang-for-the-buck, best program, best overall driveability and power gains, those all belong to the Superchip, hands down. Now of course we market the Superchip, so people will say our opinion is biased, but it's very simple; if other chipmakers produced a better program, we'd be selling that instead of the Superchip, as we don't care what name is on it, what we care about is what works best.

If you'd like to go over any of this in detail, please feel free to give us a shout, we're always happy to help.

Merry Christmas, & best of luck whatever you decide!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 12-23-2000, 04:55 PM
another question, if i were to put a new engine in the truck(the same engine size) would i have to buy another chip or could i use the same one in both engines?

Old 12-24-2000, 10:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You would have to have a Triton engine with the same computer code for the Superchip to work. Each Superchip is specific to your version of software (unlike Hypertech). Even an engine from the same model year can have a different computer code..and your chip would not work. An option would be to send it in to have it reflashed to your new code...which is a free service if you purchased the Superchip from Performance Products. I had my chip reflashed to my current truck computer code..and everything works great.

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with super engine cooling/auxiliary transmission cooling HD package, Heavy duty shocks, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, FORD bedliner, FORD black tubular cab steps, K&N air filter, mar-hyde rubberized undercoating, Modine climate filtration system, Bugflector II, Mobil 1 oil, build 7/2000

Old 12-24-2000, 11:47 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Turtle,

Most of the time when a Ford engine is replaced at a dealership, you do not have any change in the computer's software revision (or "computer code", as we refer to it), so your Superchip will still work just fine.

If at any time your vehicle's computer is ever reflashed at a dealership to a different code, then most of the time the vehicle won't start with the older code Superchip installed. This is an easy thing to take care of in that case, you simply let us know what code you were reprogrammed to, and then send in your Superchip and we reprogram it to your new code, so you can continue to enjoy your Superchip.

You do not have to buy a new Superchip.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Quick Reply: HUH???