Why don't Hypertech copy SC's software?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2000, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why don't Hypertech copy SC's software?

Wouldn't it be easy for Hypertech or some other manufacture to slightly alter Superchip existing tables and then call it there own.
Saves time on research and development, they could put there own twist on it. Then they wouldn't just make power at only wide-open throttle. I mean how much can you do to a set of tables before you make the engine knock or detonate. This is just a question that has been puzzling me; I would never take part in that type of criminal activity.

Old 12-28-2000, 12:03 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Stewdog,

Believe me, you're not the first person to think of that. Other chipmakers compare themselves to Superchips, as they are quite simply the highest standard of the industry. Other chipmakers have tried doing just that, you name it, it's been tried over the years. All competitors products are thoroughly evaluated & tested on an ongoing basis by Superchips, so if anyone were to make an attempt to do what you suggest, we'll know about it PDQ and put a stop to it.

However, it's not as simple as all that. You see, Hypertech and the other chipmakers will most likley never do what Superchips does, they won't spend the money in R&D to convert from programming "generically" (IE, one program for all 1998 4.6 automatic F-190's) to programming for each different computer code like we do. They would also have to spend the big $$$ it costs to get the 50-state emissions certifications for each and every one of the different programs due to the part-throttle modifications, and that is a huge expense just by itself. When you stop and think that Superchips has well over 7000 applications, and the other chipmakers have less than 500 apiece, and most less than 200 applications, we're talking a lot of changes they would have to make and enormous expenses.

So it's not just a matter of anyone "stealing" the Superchips program software for each and every different code, it's far more involved, and the money it would take for them to change how they do everything would be prohibitive. It's not just what is available today, but what is available on an ongoing basis year after year after year.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 12-27-2000).]

Quick Reply: Why don't Hypertech copy SC's software?