Will chip help towing?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2000, 06:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Will chip help towing?

Hi guys, I am new to this so please be patient with me. My question is ,will the installation of a computer chip help my truck tow my travel trailer better. My truck is a 99 5.4, auto. with 3.55 gears. Any input is appreciated.

Old 12-26-2000, 01:26 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi al203,

Welcome to F-150 Online!

That is a perfectly reasonable question, and the right place to pose it, so don't worry!

The Superchip will help with towing while others like the Jet and Hypertech, etc. will not, and here's why: the Superchip is the only one for these vehicles that actually tunes and adds power *all* the time, at *any* throttle position. The rest only add power at WOT (wide-open throttle), as there are no emissions standards that have to be met during full-throttle operation, so that's why all the rest only add power at WOT. That doesn't help driveability, and certainly not towing, so we tune at not only every rpm from 1200 rpm on up, but also at every throttle position.

This is key for towing, as towing performance really requries an increase in torque where it's normally in the least supply, where it's hardest for the engine to produce torque, which is on light throttle down in the lower rpm ranges, so that it will stay in Overdrive in the automatics longer without downshifting as often.

Your 1999 5.4 with 3.55 gears can tow a good sized load, so you're starting off good, with the biggest engine and decent gearing, and that always helps.

Please feel free to give us a call or shoot us an email if you'd like to go over all of this in detail, we're happy to help.

Hope you had a Merry Christmas, and that you'll hang out with us here on F-150 Online in your spare time!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 12-26-2000, 04:49 PM
Thumbs up

Hello al203

The quick answer to your question is yes. It will help your truck tow that travel trailer better.

Like you, I also came to this site looking for a way to improve my trucks towing ability. I am towing a 30’ fifth wheel that weights +/- 8,000 lbs. Long hills were a killer and she had a hard time staying in overdrive. I installed my chip right before leaving for vacation and in my haste I inadvertently filled up with 89 octane. I then hooked on to the trailer and headed out. There was no change in how the truck pulled since I was running 89 octane. I ran that tank down close to empty and refilled with 93 octane. Big difference! Even my wife made a comment on how much better the truck was pulling.
I’m like the guy in the old American Express commercial. I don’t leave home without it!

Of course pulling is just one benefit of having the chip. The first time you pull into the passing lane without your trailer, I’m sure it will bring a smile to your face.

Good luck & welcome to the site.

------------------
1999 F-250 LD 4x4 Lariat Supercab, 5.4 w/3.73 LS Limited Slip, Wedgewood Blue & Silver.
K&N FIPK
Flowmaster 40 Series
with duel stainless
tips in front of the
rear tire (see lightning)
Superchip
Line-x
Mobil One

Old 12-26-2000, 10:01 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
al203,

I pulled my wife's Explorer using a tow dolly both with and without the chip. Yes the chip made a difference. Where I was required to shift down a gear without, I did not have to with the chip, I was able to maintain the speed limit.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd 3.55LSD
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks,
BFG 285/75 R16 MTs,
Borla Cat Back, Headman Headers,
Modified Air Cleaner Outlet Tube
and air box, Ported Throttle body,
Shortened MAF sensor tower,
K&N air filter,
Superchips

Old 12-27-2000, 07:32 AM
I agree! My Expy tows my +/- 5000 pound boat a little easier with the chip. The power isn't the big factor. Its the shifting. Nice firm shifts without bog or nose-dive. I also got 2 MPG better with the chip when I towed. I only towed the boat twice. Once with chip and once without. Approx 11 MPG with and 9 MPG without chip. I only saw this MPG increase when towing and only did this once!

------------------
Rand

98 Ford Expedition 4X4 XLT
5.4, 3.73s, 17" wheels,
Homemade 3" "COLD" Air-Box
mod, SuperChip, Amsoil
everywhere but tranny, Perma-
Cool combo 6 pass trans/oil
cooler (FQR 5.4 @ 50K)

[This message has been edited by Rand (edited 12-27-2000).]

Old 12-27-2000, 11:47 PM
al203,

I to saw a large difference pulling with the chip installed. I pulled my small camper with out the chip on the interstate. On several up grades the truck would shift down. With the chip installed, it never downshifted once on the same road. Also the milage was much better as well pulling with the chip. Also the tranny temps were lower pulling with the chip. due mainly in part to not shifting in and out and no more slip in the shifts

------------------
ecm747x

2001 SUPER CREW XLT, BRIGHT RED
5.4L Triton, automatic 3.55 gears limited slip
tow package
16" tires
side steps
bed extender
ford/duraliner bed liner
60/40 seats
6cd changer
moonroof
sliding rear window

Soon to come Mods...

Adding. Installing different exhaust, not sure which yet. Front grill guard. With light kit

MODS....
1) Lund x-terminator bug shield
2) Super Chip>>>>Well Worth the Money
3) Airforce One F.I.P.K.

Quick Reply: Will chip help towing?