Need help with a Superchip

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 11:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Need help with a Superchip

I have a 97 Expedition 4x4 5.4L. The computer calibration code is GZA4. I have a Superchips 1100 that I got directly from Superchips supposedly for this computer. When I plug the module into the computer my truck will not start...only spins over. Anybody have any suggestions? Thanks.

Old 07-27-2004, 12:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you clean the contacts in your ECU as directed to?
I would have to think that you recieved, and followed the installation instructions. Correct?

Old 07-27-2004, 01:29 PM
Correct, I've cleaned and re-cleaned the contacts numerous times.

Old 07-27-2004, 04:50 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi dog,

Sorry to hear you're having a problem, but just so you know - Tech Support cannot be done here. You need to call whoever you purchased that Superchip from for proper Tech Support, that is who is responsible for helping you get up & running with it, and who needs to be doing the troubleshooting/diagnosis.

Briefly.................

Assuming that the PCM was removed from the vehicle and completely disassembled so as to actually remove both the top and bottom covers from the PCM (which is the *only* way you can ever get access to start cleaning the J3 connector properly), *AND* assuming that 100% of all of the clear-colored conformal coating on every bit of surface area on that connector that is covered by the slot on the Superchip was actually removed (and over 98% of the time that is the real problem), then what you have is most likely a vehicle whose PCM was reflashed to a different code at some point in it's life. Which is very common for a first year vehicle/redesign like the 1997 F-150 or Expedition - so that it wouldn't be a GZA4 any more, but is instead a completely different code, and why it won't start with the chip attached, but starts fine as soon as you remove it.

All you need to do is spend a few minutes of your time using the excellent Search feature here to retrieve & read posts on installation problems with performance chips on these vehicles, and you can very easily find your problem. We've discussed, in great detail, literally every possible problem, cause & solution here many thousands of times for this exact situation.

The icon to access the Search feature is in the upper right portion of your screen here - it has excellent search filters so you can get right to the info you want quickly (make sure to search only the Computer Chips section), you'll enjoy using it.

Good luck!

Old 07-29-2004, 09:43 PM
Is the theft light flashing while you are trying to start it? After I did my 99 150 it wouldn't start, theft light was flashing. I had to have a pcm solder connection made.

Quick Reply: Need help with a Superchip