Gasoline Brands (Related to Other Threads in Topic) )

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2000, 01:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Gasoline Brands (Related to Other Threads in Topic) )

I have read in several threads where the energy content of certain brands of gasoline is higher or lower than others.

That is true.

HOWEVER,

Did you know that gasoline is a commodity? And that it is traded between companies?
And that the manufacturers all pump their product into the SAME pipelines to send it to the various markets across the U.S. & Canada?

That's right!

The gas at an Exxon station may have been produced at a Shell plant nearby or vice versa. The only thing that is consistent between major brands is the additives that are put in at the various blending/distribution facilities.

Therefore, brand loyalty should only be based on the type of additives involved.

I work for one of the major Global Oil/Chemical companies. We manufacture gasoline at our site and I buy the no-name gas because it is THE SAME that we produce, only LESS $$$.

------------------
MarkS
1999 F-150 XLT, 4x4, ORP, SC, SB, 5.4 Liter, 3.73ls, Husky Truck Box, Westin Chrome Nerf Bars, TOFF Spray-in Bedliner, FORD Blue-Oval Hitch Cover, & Superchip.

Old 12-27-2000, 07:26 AM
I did not know that for fact. But suspected that's what was going on...

WOW!

So, doing a log really is the best way to find out your MPG.

Very interesting.

That hold true for Crown as well?

I have noticed that Sheetz gas runs fine in my vehicles. But a real no-name place like "Mom & Pops Mart" can give me really bad MPG and performance. That might be from the age of thier holding tank? Leaking a little more water and dirt than the newer tanks?

Appreciate the input!!! Please feel free to jump in on ANY thread concerning fuel!

Old 12-27-2000, 11:30 AM
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">That hold true for Crown as well?</font>
Yes, it is highly likely.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I have noticed that Sheetz gas runs fine in my vehicles. But a real no-name place like "Mom & Pops Mart" can give me really bad MPG and performance. That might be from the age of thier holding tank? Leaking a little more water and dirt than the newer tanks?</font>
In my experience the best places to get gas are those places that have a high rate of turnover of their tanks. If the gas station gets a lot of traffic, it is less likely to have moisture or contamination problems.

As far as keeping a log, I have saved every gas receipt for my truck, that's 2 years worth. I have also kept a log of MPG for each tank of gas used. Here is the summary:

Total fill ups: 93
Average Miles per Gallon: 12.04
Most Miles per Gallon: 16.14
Least Miles per Gallon: 9.62
Average Miles per Fill-up: 249.8
29 Tanks with 87 Octane.
20 Tanks with 89 Octane.
44 Tanks with 93 Octane.
Total Fuel: 1918.946 gal
Total Cost: $2,513.44

I would like like to say that I have read in other threads about the claims of Superchips. I believe that the claims are true to an extent. If you use the added performance of the chip, you get less mileage. However, if you baby it for better mileage, you get that also. However, in my experience the two claims are mutually exclusive.

Will I buy another Superchip?
Maybe.

Am I satisfied with the Superchip?
Yes.

------------------
MarkS
1999 F-150 XLT, 4x4, ORP, SC, SB, 5.4 Liter, 3.73ls, Oil Leak(starboard side), Westin Chrome Nerf Bars, TOFF Spray-in Bedliner, FORD Blue-Oval Hitch Cover, & Superchip.

[This message has been edited by MarkS (edited 12-27-2000).]

Old 12-29-2000, 06:54 AM
Mark S: I couldn't have said it any better! Beleive me... I've tried!

Quick Reply: Gasoline Brands (Related to Other Threads in Topic) )