Chip Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2000, 03:53 PM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Chip Questions

I will start by telling you what I am working with. I have a 4.2 v-6. The only engine mods are K&N filter and flowmaster exhaust.

After reading all of the posts about how good of an investment chip are I think that when I get the money (in the next few months) I will buy one. I have some questions though.

1. How much horsepower and torque will my truck, being a 4.2, gain?

2. How fast will I be able to go?

3. I have a 5 spd. while looking at a bunch of different chips I have seen that it does something to shift points. My transmission does not have shift points. I shift when I want to. So what does this do for me? Do I have to shift sooner because I will get off the line faster or what?

4. How do I put this thing in. Do I plug it in or do I have to take things apart to get to it. Also, one day if I decide that I want to drive it as it was origionally can I just pull it out and put it in the glovebox?

5. Do I have to raise octane in gas?

Thanks in advance.

------------------
'97 XLT Clearcoat Red 4x2
17 inch Wheels,Stepside, K&N,bedliner, 32 inch tires, flowmasters, deep tint, big Ford oval on back window, 5 spd, platinum plugs, CB, hidden hitch, ford emblem hitch cover and a little wal-mart smiley face on the antenna wearing a coboy hat :-)

http://www.my-f150.com/waldo0506

Old 12-31-2000, 04:34 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Waldo,

1.) The Superchip will add a maximum of 25 hp & 31 lbs./ft., of torque at sea level altitude. How much you'll gain *exactly* will of course depend on the quality of fuel being used, relative altitude, etc., but by and large, in round numbers, you'll pick up about a 10% power gain over what you're making now.

2.) How fast you will be able to go is not precisely predictable, as there are so many differences in weight & aero drag depending on just how your F-150 is configured from the factory (2WD, 4WD, long bed, short cab, which tires & wheel package, which gear ratio, etc., etc., these all affect weight, gearing & drag) but the normal top speed limiter of 98 mph is removed with the Superchip, and since you have a manual transmission, which absorbs less power than the automatics do, you should be able to see speeds in the range of somewhere between 110 to perhaps as much as 120 mph. However, make sure your tires are up to snuff before trying a top-end run, as the factory tires are not rated for such speeds.

3.) Performance chips can only change shift characteristics (points, firmness, etc.) in automatics, since you have a manual, this does not apply to your vehicle.

4.) The Superchip is a sealed module that has a female data slot on the back of it, that simple mates to the corresponding male connector on the back of the Ford computer, ater cleaning that connector. It can easily be removed and replaced as many times as you like, and when you remove it, you go back to the factory program. You do not have to remove the original factory eprom chip, in fact you can't, because it's a surface mount. Installation time is about 30 minutes if you do not have the Offroad package, add 10 more minutes is you do have the Offroad package. The computer will come out for the first-time installation, a very easy process, so you can access the make connector to clean it adn then attach the Superchip. Once you have done the initial installation, you can remove it and replace it very quickly at any point in the future, as the computer doesn't have to come back out again.

5.) Yes. You cannot increase raw engine power significantly via powertrain programming without raising the octane level, so that is the basic idea behind a performance chip for gasoline engines, retuning the engine specifically for the use of premium gasoline for more power. If you can keep your foot out of the throttle, most people see enough of an increase in gas mileage just as a by-product of the increased spark advance used on part-throttle to offset some of the cost difference between regular and premium, though it will never make up for all of it, it's a performance chip. Most people driving 20,000 miles per year or less see about $150-$200 a year in increased fuel costs, maybe $3-$4 a week. This assumes you're not using a lot of heavy throttle, of course. When you first put it in, you're liable to see mileage drop while you're checking out the new performance levels of your vehicle, that's pretty common with most people when they put a new performance part on and are checking out it's capabilities, you drive it harder so you get worse mileage at first. But once the novelty of a new go-fast part wears off, then the mileage tends to improve a bit.

If you'd like to go over this in greater detail, please feel free to give us a call or shoot us an email, our contact info is just below, we're always happy to help. We're here Monday thru Friday from 10 am to 7 pm, Eastern time. We're closed right now for the New Year's Holiday weekend, but if you leave us a voicemail we'll return your call over the weekend. Otherwise, we'll re-open Tuesday morning at 10 am as usual.

Good luck with your truck,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 12-31-2000, 05:26 PM
Banned
thanks alot. I think all of my questions have been answered. i will start saving!

one more thing......any coupons or discounts?

------------------
17 inch Wheels,Stepside, K&N,bedliner, 32 inch tires, flowmasters, deep tint, big Ford oval on back window, 5 spd, platinum plugs, CB, hidden hitch, ford emblem hitch cover and a little wal-mart smiley face on the antenna wearing a coboy hat :-)

Old 01-01-2001, 03:25 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Waldo,

Yes, when you order from us you will get the F-150 Online discount automatically.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 01-02-2001, 12:14 AM
Banned
I guess I will automatically start countin the pennies then! Thanks alot!

------------------

Old 01-03-2001, 12:59 AM
Former Sponsor
Hi Waldo,

No problem, there is no rush, we'll be happy to take care of you whenever your circumstances permit. A lot of us are recoving from Christmas!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: Chip Questions