SUPERCHIP MPG CHALLENGE IS IN!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2000, 03:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rand:

I think we need a recount of you gas numbers. Then maybe if we get an independent counsel that is not appointed by Superchips. We could then possibly have a winner in this debate.

Isn't Superchips located in Florida? This could explain those false claims.

------------------
97 XLT 4.6L SC 4X4 ORP Gibson Catback
JBA Headers.. Hot Coated
Ford Motorsport 9MM wires
SuperChip
Supercharged
JLL Stealthbox
Rockford Fosgate punch 45 to drive stealthbox

Old 12-15-2000, 04:20 PM
For me personally, if I see a topic thread that really doesn't interest me, I just wouldn't read or reply to it and search around for an interesting thread that appeals to me. So anybody that doesn't see this thread as "important" or "unappealing" should just avoid this thread, which really should be an easy thing to do. And it will also avoid confrontations that are irrevelant to the question at hand.

For anybody that just doesn't stand why somebody that purchases a big gas guzzling truck and then worries about the fuel economy, I would like to explain my rime or reason. One would say, who really cares about an extra $15-$20 every fill, or if you have to stop a little more frequently? Right? I tell you, it really does at up quickly! For me, for just running premium over regular fuel, I'm paying an extra $14/fill, which is $64(cdn). I'm truly thankful that I don't put as many miles on my truck as some people I know (18,000km/year). I fill up approximately 2-3 times a month, which would be an extra $35. 1 year=$420, 5 years=$2100! I could sure you use that extra cash some where else I tell ya! For me, I think it's fairly important to look at how much your gaining by using this product consider the extra cost to use it. I'd like to point out that these vehicles are not performance vehicles like the Lightning is, but a multi-purpose vehicle that is intended to be used for many things, not just for zipping up and down the street racing every Z71 that you see!

Old 12-15-2000, 04:40 PM
Question

I was also curious, do you guys assume that when the fuel guage hits 1/2 tank, that it actually is 1/2 tank? Alot of times I just multiply the odometer by 2, and that's how I get my distance per tank. But not all the time. When I hit E, it's usually less then when I multiply by 2, and is usually only a 80L fill, which leaves 12 litres originally in the tank.

Old 12-15-2000, 04:48 PM
When I bought my truck in August, here in California, the price for regular was $1.90 or more in most places! It has dropped to a low of $1.68 in my area, and premium is at a low of $1.89.

So, for my to switch to premium, using the chip, I haven't worrried about having to pay more. It still comes out to $40 or more per tank, but that is what I got used to, so it is ok.

------------------
White 2000 XLT Flareside 4X2 Supercab, 5.4L Triton V-8, Automatic-3.55 LS, Class III Tow Package, Duraliner, White gauge faceplate, Alpine 60w x 4 CDA-7863.
Superchip
FUTURE MODS:
-K&N FIPK
-2001 Lightning wheels?
-Lightning front bumper cover, & foglights
-MTX Thunderforms for S/C
-Upgraded speakers in doors
-amplifier
-2" drop, front & rear
(I think that is a good start)

Old 12-15-2000, 06:37 PM
The prices here went from 49.9cents to 64.9cent(cdn) for regular, I haven't even looked at the premium pump since I drag raced 3 years ago!

Old 12-15-2000, 07:16 PM
Rand, maybe you could reformat your figures to display more uniform, and fair results.

I think they teach that in data capture 101, or something like that.

Before I installed all my mods I was getting about 13.5 mpg. After the superchip and mods I went 45 mpg.

And one time, at band camp..........I stuck a flute in my....ooops wrong topic...

If mileage is such a tremendous issue with you, maybe you could sell your chip, and trade your truck in on one of those fancy Toyota tundras. I hear that they go faster, get better mileage and have more power. They will surely stop faster.....when they hit a real truck...

Course dats jus mah pinion, ahh could be rong.

Have a happy holiday season everyone….

------------------
Drive it like ya stole it,

Terry Deaton
99 F150 XLT, Bright Red, 2WD, 4.6, S/C, S/B, Superchip, K&N FIPK, FMS 9mm, +4s, Nerfs, Leer Top, Cow Catcher W/Bright A$$ Lights, True Duals with hi flow cats and Magnaflow Lightning Style, 275 Dunlops with 3.08 gears, fat swaybars, Steeda front and Hellwig rear, 3.5" Fabtech spindles with 2" blocks, B/E Performance Shift kit with B&M Cast Deep Pan, Steeda Billit Pedals.
Coming Soon: 4.10s and Auburn Diff, Eibach Front Coils and Add a Leafs, Underdrive Pullies and Kick A$$ Shocks.
96 SVT COBRA (almost stock)
98 AERO black w/lotsa chrome
Speed Kills, drive a Chevy and live forever.
http://www.geocities.com/terrydeaton.geo/index7.htm

Old 12-15-2000, 10:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Red face

Jesus Christ guys, did any of you think that your truck was going to magicly turn into a 4 cylinder Toyota? A full size truck has never,was never, and will never be a
gas miser,no matter how you slice it. Why did Rand buy a 5.4litre 4x4 only to complain that a "performance" chip did not increase his fuel mileage. The only way to do an accurate test of mileage is on a dyno,with the same temperature,same barometric pressure,
same gas,and the exact same throttle setting. Any other test,no matter how long it is stretched out,is going to produce accurate results,end of story. Did anyone take into account(during the long term tests)that your engine(like your self)is in a constant state of decline from the first time it is started(or born) Your engine is wearing any time it is running,my friends.
There is no way around it,,,sorry,that's a fact. Do a real live dyno mileage test if your so inclined,I don't have the time.
I for one think some of you have way too much time on your hands,to worry about unchangeable facts. Sorry if I've offended anyone,but these are just opinions.,,,,98
Oh yeah,my dads'76 Continental Mark VI with a 460 used to get 9 miles per gallon.
I never heard him complain though I think he knew it was a gas guzzler when he bought it..........
------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
Yokahama AVS/ST's
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk .powdercoat
Clear front corners
Stillen Quad light air dam, sweet!!
Euro taillights
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
[b]Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
Viper alarm
On the way/wheels,tires, etc..etc.......
doin the monochromatic boogie
on the front end.

Come see my new picturesat www.my-f150.com

officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!

[This message has been edited by 98SCREAMER (edited 12-15-2000).]

Old 12-15-2000, 10:35 PM
Yeah, and I keep coming back here to learn something from this Superchip site and all that is posted is this craziness about miles per gallon!

If you want MPG, then buy a 4 cylinder if you want performance, buy a Chip and the H*LL with how many miles you get per tank.

This whole argument is nuts.

------------------
'00 F-150 HD Edition
Hard Tonneau Cover
Superchip
Hidden Hitch w/Harley Logo
Peronalized Plate: F150 HD
'99 FLHRCI '95 XLH

[This message has been edited by HarleyGuy (edited 12-15-2000).]

Old 12-15-2000, 11:11 PM
Rand: I'd be willing to be I could drive your Expo & get better mileage & show conclusive proof.

Old 12-17-2000, 07:51 AM
yzcharger:

Just for the record, I DID IN FACT post a RECENT oil analysis of the Amsoil 5W-30 I ran for approx 11K. I posted this in the Engine thread area! All the data is there, go find it!

The analysis showed good results, however, due to the fact that I did this on a NEW FQR engine, I got some high readings of metals and Silicon. WE THINK this was due to break-in and the dirt (Silicon) could be from the K&N or new gaskets....
Still good info about the oils others properties. Will be doing another analysis. I am using Amsoil 0W-30 now.
----------------------

For everyones information, I am not crying about the fact that I get horrendous gas mileage. I accept it! AND I can afford it!

Apparently most people are getting confused as to WHY I started this thread and WHERE I am trying to go with it!

For starters, I asked myself the questions:

"why am I not seeing this MPG improvement?"
"Are others TRUELY seeing this improvement?"
"How can we collectively find out the truth?"

The only way to do this is for people to get invovled by tracking and recording their experiences, WITH and WITHOUT chip.

Mike T's involvement in this discussion is like asking a Ford salesman if an F150 is the best truck available! Of course he's going to tell you good things! Bias opinions have no place here!

Superchips ADVERTISE an "INCREASE IN MPG." All I want to know , are the majority of people REALLY seeing this increase?

Dyno's DO ABSOLUTELY NOTHING for us! Thats the most absurd thing I've heard!

Ok let say your Dyno shows the Superchip IN FACT gives me 2 MPG better than stock. Ok? You with me?
We do 100 Dyno runs and still come up with the same data... 2 MPG better. I go out and drive the thing and do NOT see any gains the first tank.... Ooops! Could be what? Gas, the way I drove it THIS TIME, computer still needs time to adjust, blah blah blah.....

WELL, if the Superchip DID IN FACT give me 2 MPG better on the DYNOMOMETER then WHY THE HELL WOULD IT NOT DO THE SAME ON THE ROAD???

The premis that the dyno would show an increase is merely a myth! If I give you the benifit of the doubt and we say it shows 2 MPG better ON MY TRUCK, then it would certainly have shown up in my data SOMEWHERE! At least 40% of the tanks would have shown SOME sort of gain! AND accordingly would have INCREASED the AVERAGE! RIGHT? You with me?

This is VERY SIMPLE PEOPLE!!!!!

Lastly, I dont care which way you cut the data I posted... Take out ALL THE ANOMALIES and you still GET NO GAINS!!!

I surely should have seen at least ONE tank that gave me 25-50 miles more due to a 1-2 MPG increase....

--------------

I have given a very good arguement about averages and the importance of long term data. I have YET to see an arguement as to WHY the dynomometer would do ANYTHING for us!
Its easy to just blindly say the "Dyno dont lie!" Sure but whats the dyno going to tell us?

Does ANYONE have any idea as to why things pass testing in the lab under controlled situations and yet when applied in the real world they fail? This is occuring in labs all over the world as we speak! The THEORY is that if it works in the lab it SHOULD work in the real world. NOT ALWAYS!

Its called TESTING!!! I can write 100 lines of code that work absolutely PERFECT in my developement environment. Test it 100 times... No probs... Why is it that as soon as you show it to the client IT FAILS!!! This is a VERY COMMON occurance in engineering.

THERE'S NO BETTER TESTING THAN USING A SYSTEM IN ITS INTENDED ENVIRONMENT!

Engineering 101.

My client is the United States Government. What do you think a General would say if I gave him a system that DID NOT DO WHAT I SAID IT WOULD DO? You think he cares that the "DYNOMOMETER" said it works? HELL NO! If it does NOT work for him or his people, then its WORTHLESS! MAKE IT WORK THE WAY I NEED IT TO WORK FOR ITS INTENDED PURPOSE!

Old 12-17-2000, 10:22 AM
Lightbulb

Key word: United States Government Worker, I remember way back when that meant something.

"Why is it that as soon as you show it to the client IT FAILS!!! This is a VERY COMMON occurance in engineering." That’s when you ask the government for more money for more testing.

"My client is the United States Government. What do you think a General would say if I gave him a system that DID NOT DO WHAT I SAID IT WOULD DO?" Who cares, all the good Generals are dead, retired, or left under Clinton's administration. I surely hope that the systems that you design for the US Government are not intended for use by my fellow soldiers or me.

I thought this was a chips column.

19D30B4 Recon Rocks!!

------------------

Terry Deaton
99 F150 XLT, Bright Red, 2WD, 4.6, S/C, S/B, Superchip, K&N FIPK, FMS 9mm, +4s, Nerfs, Leer Top, Cow Catcher W/Bright A$$ Lights, True Duals with hi flow cats and Magnaflow Lightning Style, 275 Dunlops with 3.08 gears, fat swaybars, Steeda front and Hellwig rear, 3.5" Fabtech spindles with 2" blocks, B/E Performance Shift kit with B&M Cast Deep Pan, Steeda Billit Pedals.
Coming Soon: 4.10s and Auburn Diff, Eibach Front Coils and Add a Leafs, Underdrive Pullies and Kick A$$ Shocks.

Old 12-18-2000, 12:01 AM
Wink

Hey, I've got a great idea! I think I'll take my Expedition to a shop with a Dyno so I can find out what the MPG is!!! After all, isn't that what a Dyno is for?

Ok I'm being a smart a$$. I am soooo tired of this subject and I'm sure many others are as well. I have never heard or seen anyone advertise that either the Superchip will definetly increase MPG or that it's designed to increase MPG. Maybe I've missed something, that always possible.

Some people claim better MPG, some people claim no change in MPG and others claim worse MPG. Period.

Most all claim a much better driving experience. Some go as far as to put some of the performance improvments into hard (official and unofficial) numbers, other by the Friday night *kills* they get and others by proclaiming more satisfaction in daily comuter driving.

Most people that buy and install the chip are very pleased with the purchase; some are not. Most people buy and eat a loaf of white sandwich bread are very pleased with the purchase; some are not.

Please, let's move on.

------------------
2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x2
Estate Green
5.4 ltr
3:55 LS rear
Tow Package
Superchip
Airaid FIPK
Rear Load Leveling
Moonroof
Century Child Seat!

[This message has been edited by FamilyRide (edited 12-17-2000).]

Old 12-18-2000, 07:40 AM

Point taken... Lets forget alllll about it!

TREADMARKS:

I am not a Government worker. I am a consultant for the Gov. I can not and will not go into detail about where I work!
You might like to know that some of these new systems give us the ability to save many more soldiers/lives. What terrible work I do!
You know nothing about me or what I do! So lets keep it at that!

Old 12-18-2000, 05:14 PM
Dear Mr. Rand,

While I would love to just "forget alllll about it", as a soldier, I do not have that luxury. I am not interested in where you work or what secret project your currently selling uncle sam, but I will always be interested in saving soldiers lives. And the BEST way to do that is through proper TRAINING.

With regards to your statement:
"You might like to know that some of these new systems give us the ability to save many more soldiers/lives", all I can say is I sure hope your right.

Just out of curosity, were you ever a soldier? If you were, then I'm sure you would remember the training slogan "Let no mans soul cry out, had I the proper training!"

"You know nothing about me or what I do! So lets keep it at that!" INDEED.

Now for the chip content. I heard the new warrior 2000 Infantry soldier upgrade would use a special chip to enhance the thermal imagery and target acquisition program.

Sounds like a job for Superchip, eh Mike!

19D30,B4,C2,J3,P5

Have a happy holiday everyone.

------------------

Terry Deaton

Old 12-18-2000, 05:38 PM
Question

Rand, You do have some valid arguments as does Mike. Filling up with different brands and grades of gas probablly has your computer more confused than a Florida ballot has their voters. A more consistent test would be several tanks of the same grade and brand of gas, say 3 with the chip and 3 without and see what your numbers are. I sure when magazines test Fords, Chevys and Dodges side by side they are all filled with the same grade of gas from the same pump. When they finish their tests and say a Chevy will get 15mpg and the Dodge will only get 12mpg and Ford falls in between you can have some belief in what they write, depending on how you drive. Then it would be much easier for everyone to believe a comparison you have to have a consistant factor that would not effect the mileage. Wouldn't everyone agree? HAPPY HOLIDAYS TO ALL FORD DRIVERS!

------------------
'97 F150 4.6L XL WHITE,FLEETSIDE R/C L/B, LEER SHELL W/FISHING POLE RACK, BED MAT,LIMMITED SLIP,245/75/16 DESERT DOGS ON POLISHED ALUM, WHEELS.
AIRAID, 3" CAT BACK OUT THE SIDE w/MAGNAFLOW MUFFER

Quick Reply: SUPERCHIP MPG CHALLENGE IS IN!!!