SUPERCHIP MPG CHALLENGE IS IN!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2000, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

Rogersbw, you still had 5 gallons of (maybe?) lower octane fuel in there when you did your first fillup with the chip. That will drag down your increased MPG as well as lessen your performance. I did much the same as yourself -- I put in 21 gallons of 92 octane and had some 87 octane mixing with the 92 octane that gave me an overall level of about 91 or so. The closer you can get to 93 octane with a premium fuel, the better your truck will do.

I've experienced slightly better mileage with the chip and most others have as well. It's difficult to get the foot out of it, though, to give a fair test sometimes.

------------------
'00 F-150 Harley-Davidson Edition
Hard Tonneau Cover
Superchip
K&N FIPK
Hidden Hitch w/Harley Logo
Peronalized Plate: F150 HD
'99 FLHRCI '95 XLH

Old 12-27-2000, 07:21 AM
Sorry, but I'm not buying that! NO WAY does 5 gallons of 87 octane mixed with 25 gallons of 93 drop your MPG significantly! NO WAY!

Besides, what happened to the theory about the winter re-formulations having higher octane ratings than advertised? 87 might actually be something like 89??

Another point. The Superchip can run on 92 octane right? Then the diluted 93 might have been around 91 or 92. Not enough to sway his readings a FULL MPG.

----------------

Thanks for the nice MPG posting!

Old 12-27-2000, 05:01 PM
Actually,

I accomplished the SC install by first filling up with premium and driving it till about half empty. I didnt do it on purpose..it just worked out that way. Then installing the superchip...running the tank to where i normally fill up and refilling with premium again.

I dont have numbers for that week in mileage since by disconnecting the battery for that period of time resets the trip counter. Heh..why cant that work for the odometer too .

Ive always used 93 octane gas..and always used Shell gas. The only tank that has been non shell gas was in the free tank I got when I purchased the truck. Lord knows what it was.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HarleyGuy:
[B]
Rogersbw, you still had 5 gallons of (maybe?) lower octane fuel in there when you did your first fillup with the chip. That will drag down your increased MPG as well as lessen your performance.

------------------
**2000 F150 Harley Davidson Edition**
**2001 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R**
**1967 427 Shelby Cobra Replica On the way**
~~Bad Cop, No Doughnut~~

Old 12-27-2000, 06:10 PM
Talking

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Rand:
Sorry, but I'm not buying that! NO WAY does 5 gallons of 87 octane mixed with 25 gallons of 93 drop your MPG significantly! NO WAY!

Besides, what happened to the theory about the winter re-formulations having higher octane ratings than advertised? 87 might actually be something like 89??

Another point. The Superchip can run on 92 octane right? Then the diluted 93 might have been around 91 or 92. Not enough to sway his readings a FULL MPG.

----------------

Thanks for the nice MPG posting!
</font>
Hey dude! The weather can vary your mpg by more than 1 mpg. I does not surprise me taht gas can.

Old 12-30-2000, 06:42 PM
In some ways, this thread is really laughable. With all the factors involved in real world condtions, 1 or 2 or even 3 mpg difference from one tank of gas to another is insignificant. You really can't draw any conclusions from it.

There is no way you can duplicate conditions from one tank to the next out in the "real world." NO WAY, unless you do it in a lab under controlled conditions at STP. If you can dispute that, then you just trashed all that's taught in all college and university science departments.

Rand, what you don't understand is that you can't keep the human factor out of your figures. I'll only make two points. Do you know for an absolute certainty that you fill your tank up the same way every time? I mean, do you fill it up to the same level every time? How do you know for sure? Did you use the Consumer Reports method? Do you fill it up with the same amount of gallons every time? I could see you running the tank dry and putting in 20 gallons, running that dry and putting in another 20 gallons, etc. That would be acceptable. Second point, can you also say with absolute certainty that you were driving your truck absolutely the same way and under the same conditons thru 20 fillups? 10? Or even two? Can you honestly say that you don't get into the gas a bit more with the chip in? Most people who chip their vehicles tend to be a bit heavier on the gas. Was the ambient temperature, pressure, and humidity the same? What about traffic? That affects mileage. Wind? Clean or dirty truck? Tire pressure? Same amount of rubber on the tires? Level ground or hilly? Did you eat lunch? Did you use the toilet? Did you drive thru a swarm of bugs? Every little bit adds to your margin of error (and believe me, there are many more factors involved that will add to that margin of error). I won't even discuss Significant Figures. Anybody on the mailing list would remember THAT discussion a couple or three years ago! LOL.

Obviously, your figures mean something to you. As far as science goes, however, your figures won't stand up to scrutiny. I'd hazard a guess that if we analyzed your methodolgy closely, that your figures are within the margin of error.

What a previous poster did on a dyno is probably the closest to using the scientific method that I've seen in this thread. That one shows an increase in mpg while using the chip. It's not significant.

From what I've seen and read, mpg should not be all that important. In fact, it seems that the difference is insignificant. On the other hand, it really is significant that you can increase performance by such a margin and yet NOT hurt mpg figures at all.

Seems to me, Superchips delivers on what it promises. More power to the pavement.

Old 12-30-2000, 08:08 PM
Maybe I missed it (looong thread!) but I did not see mentioned the level of attention paid to filling the tank as to some of the other details during data collection. Over the last few fill-ups I did an experiment. The fuel pumps here in S.Fla. have the "auto fill" locks on them (don't have to hold on during fueling). Most have two fill rates some have three. Using only the faster two rates (and the same station and pump) I let the pump shut off automatically. Then I rocked the truck back and forth a few times and began fueling again. I was able to add an additionall 1.5-2.5 gallons! That's as much as 10% for a 25 gallon tank right there!

((Not to mention fuel pump delivery accuracy!)

My $0.02. Happy New Year!

------------------
Y2K Oxford White XLT S.C., V6, Auto, FoMoCo Mud Flaps, Lund Bugflector, Tinted windows, Auxillary BU lights, 2x55W DRL, UNGO Keyless entry, FoMoCo/Duraliner bedliner

Old 12-30-2000, 08:18 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Rand,

Try this on for size. Remove the chip and check your milage after eliminating the 93 octane in your tank. Say you run 3 tanks (MIN 18 GALS EACH) of 87 and never, I mean never rev over 2000 rpm. Then install the chip and after eliminating the 87 octane run 3 tanks (MIN 18 GALS EACH) and again never rev over 2000 rpm. Don't go Off Road and for Pete's sake try to run the same roads during the test. Theoretically the chip leans out the fuel mix and advances the timing so for any given throttle position the chip makes more power. So to develop 100 hp you will use less gas. You should then see better mileage.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

PS remember Apples to Apples.

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd 3.55LSD
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks,
BFG 285/75 R16 MTs,
Borla Cat Back, Headman Headers,
Modified Air Cleaner Outlet Tube
and air box, Ported Throttle body,
Shortened MAF sensor tower,
K&N air filter,
Superchips

Old 12-30-2000, 11:55 PM
XceLenT Driver, I agree with you. My Expy will shut off at about 23 gallons. "Nursing" it and even rocking it like you say, I'll put about 32 gallons in it if it's almost bone dry. I've even had pumps shut off after trying to "top it off" with that extra 5-7 gallons. Exxon is notorious for doing it and it so frustrating. I end up filling it 2 times. Last time the second fill was for over 8 gallons.

So yes, I can't believe that just the Expy with a 30 gallon tank is that particular to fill. Although, I think most people that are doing comparisons are taking this out of the picture by using math. That is "most" people anyway.....

------------------
2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition 4x2
Estate Green
5.4 ltr
3:55 LS rear
Tow Package
Superchip
Airaid FIPK
Rear Load Leveling
Moonroof
Century Child Seat!
Gibson Stainless Steel Swept Side Ordered and Backordered!

Old 12-31-2000, 06:31 AM
I agree with dennis on this one.I am not chipped yet.However, I have done some figuring of the mileage on my 4.2L v-6 just for the heck of it.This summer I went on a 600 mile trip(on relatively flat ground,cruising at 65 mph).I got 21 mpg.Great I was very pleased.I also took a hunting trip this fall(250 miles,very hilly terrain) 70% of the total miles was just getting there,cruising at 65mph) 70%=175 miles.The rest of the driving was done in conditions similar to city driving except it was on steep gravel roads(75miles).I got 9 mpg.There is no way that the 75 miles on gravel pulled down my average from 21 mpg to 9 mpg.The hilly terrain on the way there did most of it.I am just using this example to show how different variables can really effect your gas mileage.Did I mention that The altitude went from 800 feet above sea level to 5,500 feet above see level.I am also sure that this had something to do with the poor gas mileage also.there are way to many variables involved in everyday driving to ever get an accurate comparison Even the little things like if you have to stop at a stoplight or not will affect the mileage. After the hunting trip, I quit figuring out my mpg(didn't like seeing a single digit #) Honestly, if anyone wants a truck that gets good mpg, buy a 2 wheel drive ford ranger with the smallest motor available.Yes, it will be a dog on hills buut, you will consistently get over 20 mpg.

[This message has been edited by lightningcrashz (edited 12-31-2000).]

Old 01-04-2001, 01:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Rand,
I found a product that seems to be right up your alley. No sarcasm,,,,just trying to help Have fun ,,,,98

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
Yokahama AVS/ST's
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk .powdercoat
Clear front corners
Stillen Quad light air dam, sweet!!
Euro taillights
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
[b]Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
Viper alarm
On the way/wheels,tires, etc..etc.......
the monochromatic boogie is done,cool!.
Come see my new pictures@ www.my-f150.com

officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!

Old 01-05-2001, 08:10 AM
I tend to agree with some of you. The ONLY problem with my data could be that each pump shuts off at different times. Leaving me with how many gallons?

I agree with this. This could a problem I am having.

If people are noticing a 5 gallon difference between pumps, thats a HUGE gap! I was not aware of this possible margin of error.

Thanks, to all for the insite. That is VERY GOOD judgement and information to take in to account!

I would fill it up to the neck, but they say not to. There is a breather line that can get filled with gas? I think? Bad?

Old 01-05-2001, 06:34 PM
One thing about the fill also is that you need to fill on level ground. There are higher spots in the tank that can trap air while filling. If you can figure out where the high spot is, front or back, then you have to park on a slant then you know if the front or the rear of the truck has to be on the high side. My dad has a SD with the PS. Most of the places that offer deisel have slants to the lot. So he figured the high spot out and is now getting consistant milage.

------------------
Red '97 F-150 SC 4x4 off-road, 16" rims instead of factory 17"'s(borrowed from old '97 reg cab), BFG 265/75 16 all terrain T/A, K&N, Velocity Tube, Superchip Flowmaster 40 with duals out back, Expedition center console, 3" rear seat lift, after market stereo seen at HTTP://members.sounddomain.com/red97

Quick Reply: SUPERCHIP MPG CHALLENGE IS IN!!!