ATTN: DanKryszczuk Opinion on DIRECTHITS...

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2001, 11:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ATTN: DanKryszczuk Opinion on DIRECTHITS...

Dan, I enjoy reading your detailed posts and the responses that go along with them.

I am curious to know your thoughts on the new DIRECT HITS Ignition upgrade. Check out www.directhits.com and let me know. Email me at: AARONCARRUTH@YAHOO.COM Thanks!

Old 01-16-2001, 10:36 AM
Spoke with Direct Hits yesterday (Monday) & was advised not to use Direct Hits with the Superchip. It's ok to use them with an ignition module, such as Jacobs DIS/MSD DIS4...Mark.

Old 01-16-2001, 11:24 AM
Doorslammer, I spoke with someone also and he said the same thing. Due to the advanced spark of a chip AND a 10,000 times hotter flame kernel by the DIRECT HITS, there would be a big problem. I don't either as of yet, and am waiting for somemore info to come out on the Direct Hits before I make the decision. The kit for a '98 is almost $400 and about 2 hours labor for install.

Old 07-31-2001, 03:29 AM
Direct hits and superchip

I just talked to Mike Troyer with superchips and he states that there should not be a problem running the two upgrades together. Did they say exactly what would be bad about running the 2 together. Look under my name and find my post on just this issue.

Old 07-31-2001, 03:06 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
polarisguy..which dankryszczuh post are you referring to?

Old 08-01-2001, 02:54 AM
Seems like strange logic to me. Using the caps to shorten and intensify the spark? Most high performance systems use multiple spark (at least at lower RPM) to ensure a more complete burn.

Looking at some of the reports seems fishy to me. A 40% mileage increase? How black and fouled were the plugs they replaced?

I also notice on one test that they gained 10 HP, from an engine that made 841 to begin with. I also noticed that this engine also had a MSD 7AL ignition system.

Don't get me wrong, maybe they work. I have a Jacobs and have had great results. But a 40% mileage increase? If they put that in writing, I'll take two!

Old 08-01-2001, 08:37 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Quadkeys & everyone else,

Just to clarify here, because I would hate to ever give someone the wrong impression and have a problem result, as I mentioned to both of the 2 people who called me about the Direct Hits system last week, I was clear that I had no hands-on experience with that system, and cannot tell you if it's going to be OK with the Superchip or not for *certain*.

What I specifically said was that the Superchip will work fine with most of the products on the market that provide either a hotter spark, multi-spark or a longer duration of spark, such as the Jacob's systems, the various MSD ignition upgrades, etc.

As I mentioned, not knowing exactly how that Direct Hits system operates, I honestly cannot tell you if it is completely safe to use with the Superchip or not, we have not tested that combination, and in fact, as I mentioned to both of you on the phone last week, I hadn't heard of Direct Hits until either you or the other gentleman first called us last week, I don't know which of you called first.

We did talk at some length, and I did say that the Superchip generally works just fine with the typical ignition upgrades, like the units I mentioned above. I did also say that it should work just fine with other similar ignition upgrades.

But I do have to be clear and say that I really cannot *guarantee* that it is safe to use the Direct Hits sytem in conjunction with the Superchip. We've not tested it, don't know any technical details of that system, etc.

If the manufacturer of that system is telling you that you definitely cannot use the Superchip with their system, I think I would play it safe and drop one of the 2, drop either the Direct Hits or the Superchip, just to be safe.

I have not had a chance to check out their web site, I wanted to after I was given their URL by either you or the other gentleman who called last week, but we had the Rally last week and then a death in the family that we have to deal with, so we've just been too busy to have a chance to check it out, and may not yet for awhile.

I just didn't want there to be any misunderstanding, so if you felt that I somehow gave you the impression that you can absolutely count on it being safe to use the Direct Hits system with the Superchip, don't be, I wouldn't count on that until it's either actually been tested, or the manufacturer says it's safe to use with a performance chip.

Right now I don't know if that systems operation causes other concerns or considerations that affect the tuning of the engine. If it's just another hotter ignition system, then those usually work just fine with the Superchip and we have many people doing just that. But until that is *confirmed*, caveat emptor my friend.

I hope that clears up any misunderstanding Quadkeys, and if you ever decide to try it, please do let us know what you think of that system.

I haven't been to their web site, but if they are actually claiming a 40% increase in fuel mileage as was mentioned in a post in this thread, I would certainly want to know a whole lot more about it and how it works before it would get bolted onto any vehicle of mine. It may be a great system or a terrible one, I just don't know as of right now, so this bears much more investigation before a decision in my humble opinion.

Best of luck whatever you decide,

Quick Reply: ATTN: DanKryszczuk Opinion on DIRECTHITS...