MIKE-Please Help...

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2004, 09:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MIKE-Please Help...

I noticed you were replying to some messages, maybe you can help. I just got the 1714 in today and began to load it. After saving my vehicle info I got message E-6D and was told to refer to file: RXAQ3R4????????????

I have 2 theories on what it may be.

1.) I have had the computer hooked up at Ford already for a check engine light, turned out to be a bad throttle sensor.

2.) I had Ford try to adjust my speedo to accomadate my bigger 35" tires but it maxed out shy of actual.

Any suggestions.... should I overnight it to you guys if I want a resolve by this weekend?

Thanks in advance.

jschmidty22@yahoo.com or 408-718-9697 would also work.

Old 08-05-2004, 09:29 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Actually, what it FIRST says is to "Call Superchips" - which is what you need to do - and then it told you to refer to that code.

After the screen says to "Call Superchips," you get that reflash code - that's how they work. They are designed like that so that you will immediately know exactly what to do - which is as it says, call Superchips. That number is provided in your Micro Tuner's documentation, along with a lot of other valuable information you need to know.

In short, all you need to do is to do what it's telling you.

Our vehicle and many other 2004's did the exact same thing.

Now, as to the reason why?

There are a number of PCM updates for a very large number of the 2004 3-valve 5.4 F-150's, which changes it's PCM software revision (computer code, as we call it) to one not in the initial release of the 1714 Micro Tuner - and virtually none of these PCM reflashes are documented to the vehicle owner, whether done at a dealer prior to the truck ever being sold, or at a service visit after purchase, etc. - it happened to your truck, like many other 2004 3-valve 5.4 owners including us - ours has been updated twice, as it turns out.

So the cure is, you send the Micro Tuner in to Superchips to be updated, which they will do for you at no charge, with them paying the return shipping back to you. What has happened is the 1714 has stored a copy of your truck's new PCM software revision, so Superchips can download it and make a new set of tunes for that new code, then send the unit right back to you so you can then load up your new tuning and enjoy it.

What it boils down to is something that happens each time we get a new redesign of the F-150, with a new engine and a new control system like the 2004 3-valve 5.4 motor - "first year syndrome," in other words. The 2004 is all new, and just as happened in the 1997 model year (the last time the F-150 was redesigned), the first model year gets more running updates (like PCM revisions) than virtually any other model year. As has happened with every first model year of each new vehicle made, there are always more changes as the automaker gets hundreds of thousands of newly-redesigned vehicles operating across the country, and more (usually small stuff) issues are discovered. The automaker corrects them - in the case of computer-controlled vehicles, many times that can be done via a simple reflash of the PCM - as happened in your case and many other 2004 3-valve 5.4 F-150 owners.

Because the 1714 Micro Tuner was just released, and just released for an all-new vehicle in it's very first model year, it's happening to a number of the first 1714 owners - pretty typical for a first model year redesign. Then that won't happen to future 1714 owners anywhere nearly as much as production of the 2004 model year comes to a close, which is basically just about has - shutdown at the Norfolk plant is usually mid to late July, sometimes early August, for example.

As Micro Tuners are being manufactured throughout the year, their program loads get updated with all the new known codes weekly - meaning each week the units they manufacture will have added to them all the new codes that became available to them during the previous week. Yours, like ours, simply needs to be updated with the PCM revision yours was reflashed to after it was built. Pretty simple.

The bottom line is, just do what your Micro Tuner is telling you - call Superchips. They'll take care of getting this updated for your vehicle's PCM reflash revision and get it back to you quickly.

Quick Reply: MIKE-Please Help...