Chip AND Breather?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2000, 02:32 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Mikey,

I didn't mean to ignore you, I just missed your post until just now, sorry about that!

Good question! You'd have to ask Ford that, as I don't know. It probably has to do with them not wanting to take away sales from their Powerstroke diesels and V-10's in their Super Duty trucks. Meaning, if you want big power from the factory, you have to buy the bigger motor, etc.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 12-01-2000, 02:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yeah Mike, you are probably right. It's all about the money, but it would be nice to start with a baseline of 300hp instead of 260. Don't you think?

------------------
1999 F-150 Lariat SC 2 WD, White/Silver, 5.4L, 3.55LS, K & N FIPK, Superchip, underdrive pulley set, Dynomax Super Turbo Series Exhaust, six disc CD changer, towing package and captain chairs

Old 12-04-2000, 09:14 AM
Exclamation

FamilyRide
Just beware of someone with a NAV that has made these mods.. You might find them harder to smoke than you think. The Superchip is definitly the best bang for the buck. But if you are going to take on a 2000 or newer NAV keep doing those mods. You should be able to wipe a 1999 or later with just a chip. Keep an eye for a tell tail sign on the rear hatch. "32V Intech" very small letters . this is a 2000 or newer and has ben de-tuned down to 300hp. I personal have spun all four tires from a take off.

------------------
2000 Navigator. Laser Red, Every option. , (DOHC) cams-32 valve Intech , (6) Bolt Mains, K&N FIPK , Superchip, True Duel Flowmaster 50 series. 2X SISO , vented out each side. Rear air deflector, Bug deflector, PIAA, headlights (SUPERWHITE)

Looking at Hitting 400 Hp without a blower. Using in addition, headers (If possible)
(Waiting for JBA to develope Headers)

“91” F150 4X4 Shorty “Ultimate Off Road Edition” Borge Warner T18 4 speed, Traction Lock Front and Rear Differentials., Smitty Built Duel Tube Roll Bar, Moog Super Off Road Coil Springs, Factory 2” Lift Rancho RS 9000 Shocks , Stock Front “QUAD SETUP” 33x12.5 (B.F. Goodrich) Mud Terrain Warn Winch Combo Bush Bar with Warn XD9000I Winch. Full Factory Skid Plates. 302 Long Block, K&N FIPK JBA Chrome Headers, Custom Catback using Flowmaster Muffler, Duel out side behind rear wheel.

Old 12-04-2000, 01:45 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi LaserNAV,

That's right, with the Superchip and your other mods you've done to your 300 hp 5.4 DOHC Navigator, it's going to take some doing to put an Expedition past you.

Spinning all 4 wheels doesn't happen often on dry pavement, that takes some real power. I'm guessing that you've got one of the few 4WD vehicles on this site that will do that, you sneaky rascal.

Say, what did JBA tell you about headers for that motor, if you've talked to them?

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 12-04-2000).]

Old 12-04-2000, 02:25 PM
Superchips_Distributor
yes I have talked to them twice now, first they said late February availability last week they said mid January. I am ready for these headers .. Hope they don’t stiff me for them (cost wise)..

My four wheel spin was only about a ½ wheel rotation on all fours but none the less they all spun.. Had four black marks.

------------------
2000 Navigator. Laser Red, Every option. , (DOHC) cams-32 valve Intech , (6) Bolt Mains, K&N FIPK , Superchip, True Duel Flowmaster 50 series. 2X SISO , vented out each side. Rear air deflector, Bug deflector, PIAA, headlights (SUPERWHITE)

Looking at Hitting 400 Hp without a blower. Using in addition, headers (If possible)

“91” F150 4X4 Shorty “Ultimate Off Road Edition” Borge Warner T18 4 speed, Traction Lock Front and Rear Differentials., Smitty Built Duel Tube Roll Bar, Moog Super Off Road Coil Springs, Factory 2” Lift Rancho RS 9000 Shocks , Stock Front “QUAD SETUP” 33x12.5 (B.F. Goodrich) Mud Terrain Warn Winch Combo Bush Bar with Warn XD9000I Winch. Full Factory Skid Plates. 302 Long Block, K&N FIPK JBA Chrome Headers, Custom Catback using Flowmaster Muffler, Duel out side behind rear wheel.

Old 12-04-2000, 02:26 PM
Superchips_Distributor
yes I have talked to them twice now, first they said late February availability last week they said mid January. I am ready for these headers .. Hope they don’t stiff me for them (cost wise)..

My four wheel spin was only about a ½ wheel rotation on all fours but none the less they all spun.. Had four black marks.

------------------

Old 12-04-2000, 02:26 PM
Superchips_Distributor

------------------

Old 12-04-2000, 02:31 PM
Dont know why it posted 3 times...

------------------

Old 12-04-2000, 08:03 PM
Talking

LaserNAV

Ok, ok you're right. I wouldn't even think of trying it against one like yours. I'm not to concerned about the 1999 and pre. It's the "stock" 32v that I would be after. I think with FIPK the chip and possibly exhaust, I could stand proud up against a "stock" 32v although maybe not smoke it.

I'm curious now that someone with something close to mine is responding. I see you have full true duel? I don't think I'm going to do that, maybe Gibson single. I'm trying to keep it quiet. How much difference did it make for you? How about the chip? Any change in MPG? Im getting around 14-15 in town (which for me is a lot of highway but traffic) and about 15-15.5 true highway. I'd like to see 15+ around town.

How about tranny? How do you like what the chip did for shifts. Sorry, no more questions for now.

Thanks

Old 12-05-2000, 11:02 AM
Exclamation

Hi FamilyRide.
To answer some of your questions.
Quiet.. someone said on this site that someone’s Purr is someone’s roar. I don’t think it’s load just noticeable when you stop on it. The true duels is the only way to go if you are looking for max hp. The cost may not be as different as you think. my complete custom job including the cut at the “Y” by the one of the O2 sensors was about $400.00 plus tax. This is a completely new custom cat back system times 2. That’s 2 mufflers. Very nice job if I might add.
MPG, I have not re-learned how to drive yet. My foot is always sinking into the pedal (I’ve been looking at my tachometer more than that other gauge). But I can tell I could get some good gas mileage since now while I am just cursing at 60-70 mph I am just barley touching the gas. Even heavy footing it I am getting 12 around town. I will try and get some good gas mileage and post my best MPG figures. Prior to any mods I was getting 14 around town and 17 on highway. The wife could reach 20 mpg on highway. When (IF) I get out of my “test mode” I will let you know.
My SuperChip. If you don’t have one you better be good and ask Santa real quick. This alone will change your vehicle from the HUNTED to the HUNTER. Everything about it is good. From shifting to new torque. A Superchip is your first step in beating a 32V NAV. Everything else compliments the Superchip.

------------------

Old 12-05-2000, 01:52 PM
Thumbs up

You may want to contact Horsepower-plus who specialized in the Diablohip for all Fords. From what I here its the best chip on the market. Their website is www.horsepower-plus.com

Good Luck!

Old 12-05-2000, 06:33 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks Mike for the input on the exhaust. I knew I should beware of something but wasn't sure exactly what.

If I do exhaust I may just do the Gibson Side Swept. A friend just had one installed on an F150 4.6 so I can get an idea of how loud. He had a dual out but it was too loud for him but did say he felt a difference. Quicker response for one with just that.

Now if I can just get time to get the code.....I'll be ordering.

Old 12-06-2000, 12:35 AM
Former Sponsor
Hi Family Ride,

One thing to be aware of on exhaust changes, if you go with a true dual setup, if you don't reduce pipe diameter to 2.25", you will punch a hole in your torque curve down low, and that is why most aftermarket cat-back systems for these vehicles are 3" single systems, as they tend to do the best job of maintaining low-end torque.

A true dual setup will of course make great horsepower when the rpms are up, which is why it works better for the much higher-winding DOHC motor in the Cobra, Mark 8 & Navigators.

What happens when you go true dual with the same or larger size pipe diameter in these vehicles is that you slow down the actual velocity of the exhaust stream flow, then you lose the scavenging effect that helps to pull the spent gases out of the cylinder head; so while you gain horsepower when you have your foot into it, you lose torque on part-throttle at lower rpms, where you do most of your cruising.

Just FYI.........

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 12-08-2000, 07:57 PM
Red face

Mike,

Well I'll be. I assumed that if someone from Superchips told me something it must be true. I was wrong. After you talked about how odd the placement was of the ECU according to what I told you, I looked again. You're right. It is on the right side, right where you said it was. I went back and looked at the emails back and forth with Superchips and sure enough, they (that one person) kept me going in the wrong direction.

Anyhow, now I know where it is, and if I'm not mistaken, the code I need is on the end of the ECU on a sticker that is on the plastic cover, or is that one that's often mistaken for it? The code I see is ZUT2. Does that sound right?

I'd like to get it ordered soon.

From now on, I'll listen to you.... ;-)

Old 12-10-2000, 01:49 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Family Ride,

Great, thanks for letting me know, I was starting to go thru the process of finding one to rent if I could find one with the computer in that location you mentioned, just so we could do the update on the docs!

I asked you about this in another thread you had responded to, where you were helping drcarrillo find his computer code, and I hadn't seen this post from you at that point yet, so now I know.

Sally is actually the daughter of the owner of Superchips, and I like her a lot, she's really a great young lady, with a smoking-quick Mustang. She's usually pretty sharp, she must have just missed the boat on that one, and gotten it confused with some of the many other FoMoCo's that *do* have their computers in that same location she described to you, so it sounds like a somewhat un-common boo-boo. Or, they may indeed have already seen some Expy's with computers in that location, as they tend to see things first due quite naturally to their development work on new models, so it's possible.

At least you've found it and yes, that ZUT2 is the code we are looking for, so you're all set!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 12-10-2000).]

Quick Reply: Chip AND Breather?