Chip AND Breather?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2000, 07:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Mike,

I actually ordered on-line last night. You may see the order.

I just finished putting up Christmas lights etc. and while getting everything put away and cars back in the garage, I thought, "hey, what's under here anyway"? Now I have the bug to look into full duels instead of a cat back. In your opinion, which would give me the most benefit if I'm installing a chip, Araid FIPK (Ordered that too) and something with the exhaust and that's it?

You talk about the Gibson Swept side for big trucks like mine. What do you think of the FM Force II? Do you know if it comes with the 70 series or 50?

Enough questions....

Thanks for your help.

------------------
2000 Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x2
Estate Green
5.4 ltr
3:55 LS rear
Tow Package
Rear Load Leveling
Moonroof
Superchip Ordered
Araid FIPK Ordered

[This message has been edited by FamilyRide (edited 12-10-2000).]

Old 12-12-2000, 12:58 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Family Ride,

I would just go with a 3" single system, and in this case for that heavy Expy (even though it's a 4X2), I would opt for the Gibson swept-side system. With an engine that has not been heavily modified mechanically, you just don't get enough additional horsepower, and certainly not torque, by going to the expense of doing a "true dual" system *correctly*, which involves splitting the "Y" pipe, and downsizing all of the exhaust tubing diameter to no larger than 2.25" in these F-150 & Expedition V-8's.

I like the Gibson swept-side specifically in heavy vehicles simply because it is flow-engineered specifically for towing, and that is exactly what you want in a system for a heavy vehicle, one that places a priority on *torque*. You won't give up any horsepwoer gain, and you benefit from not actually loosing a bit of torque down low in the rpm range on part-throttle, which is the key to everyday driving performance in these vehicles.

Now, if you are going to make a drag-racer out of this truck, and your priorities are all-out higher rpm horsepower, or if you're going to install a positive-displacement supercharger, then sure, going with a true dual setup as I outlined above would be preferable for high-rpm horsepower, but otherwise, just stick with a good 3" single cat-back system, would be my advice.

I don't have enough experience with the newest Flowmaster stuff on the Expy to really answer your question properly, I have just never cared for the tone of Flowmasters myself, on anything other than 5.0 Mustangs. For some reason, they seem to sound nice on the 5.0 Mustangs, but for me, that's it, and of course, that is *highly* subjective, many people swear by Flowmaster.

Best of luck whatever you decide. In this case, you might want to take some time and *listen* to other exhaust systems before making your decision.
------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 12-11-2000).]

Old 12-14-2000, 04:10 PM
Question

Mike,
I know this isn't your specialty, but it seems that you have a great deal of knowledge nonetheless. The first of the "big three" that I'm going to do is the exhaust. I was going with Ravin, but they don't have a 21/2"SI-21/2"DO configuration. Would you go with a 21/2"SI-2"DO or a 3"SI-21/2"DO config.?

------------------
2000 F-150SC 5.4L 4X4ORP
DEEP WEDGEWOOD BLUE
AUTO, 3.55LS, TOW PKG.
CAPTAIN'S CHAIRS,
REMOTE KEYLESS ENTRY
REAR SLIDER
PREMIUM SOUND w/ CD
RHINO LINER
STATE ISSUED UNIV.OF GA. PLATE.
UGA RECEIVER COVER
UGA LICENSE PLATE(FRONT)

WISH LIST:
RAVIN Z-55 SI/DO
AIRAID FIPK
SUPERCHIP
TINTED WINDOWS
HOOD DEFLECTOR(PAINTED)
RAIN GUARDS(PAINTED)

A NATIONAL TITLE FOR UGA(FOOTBALL)

Old 12-14-2000, 07:13 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi wemjr,

I would go with thw Gibson Swept Side model myself, as it's the only one for these vehicles that has really been specifically flow-engineered for low-rpm torque on part-throttle, as it's actually designed dor towing. It makes good power, and isn't loud, and dosn't require that you tow to get it's benefits.

A number of people have the Ravin, and I'm sure it's a fine system, though a few have commented that they've felt like they lost low-end torque from it, and others have said they noticed no such effect. That can easily happen when the system isn't flow-engineered specifically with torque in mind, but instead, maximum high-rpm horsepower as teh goal.

From a torque standpoint, I honestly couldn't tell you whether a 2.5 inch in dual out or single out makes any difference, as to me, that is pretty much esthetics rather than power that this will effect, though of course it would take extremely precise dyno testing to confirm all that, naturally.

Just about any free-flowing aftermarket cat-back exhaust system can make more horsepower when the loud pedal is hammered, but for everyday driveability, it's part-throttle torque that is the key to enjoyable driveability in that regard.

There are 2 Ravin systems for these vehicles, the 33 and the 55, if memory serves, and of course we don't sell any of that stuff, so I don't know which of the 2 might be more appropriate for you, I'm sorry, I just don't have that knowledge of the Ravin systms being marketing by Midas Mufflers. If I was looking for maximum horsepower, I would probably go with the 3" inlet, picking between those 2 options you mentioned.

Sorry I can't be of more help on this for you, & best of luck. Do let us know what you decide to go with, and how you like it once installed!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 01-14-2001, 10:12 PM
Just thought I round out my journey. From my first post thinking about some mods, to completing the triple crown....

I've now got the Superchip, Airaid and S/S Gibson Swept Side.

Now I'm looking for a Nav....the 16 valve is lunch, or at least a snack, but I'm curious about the 32 valve Nav!!!

------------------
2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition 4x2
Estate Green
5.4 ltr
Superchip!
Airaid FIPK
Gibson S/S Swept Side
Tow Package
Rear Load Leveling
Moonroof
Century Child Seat!

Old 01-15-2001, 01:02 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Family Ride,

That's right, in this thread you've gone from being basically stock to doing all 3 mods now.

What would really be an eye-opener is if you could go back and drive that vehicle stock again, versus how it performs now with the mods done.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 01-15-2001, 06:37 PM
Or, if I could report smoking a 32v Nav ;-)

------------------
Estate Green
5.4 ltr
Superchip!
Airaid FIPK
Gibson S/S Swept Side
Tow Package
Rear Load Leveling
Moonroof
Century Child Seat!

Old 01-17-2001, 12:35 AM
Superchips_Distributor,

BCAZ had mentioned another superchip manufacturer in his posting on 12/5/00(http://www.horsepower-plus.com). What is it that I should look for that sets the superchip that you endorse apart from the others? Just price?

Old 01-17-2001, 12:43 AM
Superchips Distributor,

I am fairly new to this board and haven't had the time to read all the messages. This may have been asked/discussed at one time, but I will ask anyway. Some (all?) Superchip manufacturers require that you use high octane fuel (92% or higher) in order to benefit from the chip. Is this the case with the chip that you endorse? Or is the 87% octane sufficient? Thanks.

------------------
2001 Supercrew 4x4 Lariat (Gen III)
Dark Highland Green/Silver Clearcoat Metallic 2 tone
5.4L Triton V8
3.55 Limited Slip Differential
Trailer Tow - Class III
Heated Front Seats. 60/40 split (love the bucketed-type gen III benches)
Platform-Type Cab Steps
Engine Block Heater
Offroad 4x4 Equipment Group
Sliding Rear Window
6-Disc CD Changer

Old 01-17-2001, 01:10 AM
Sorry Mike T,

Just read your post in the "Higher Octane Fuel with Superchip?" thread. Sorry to have asked a previously asked question. I do have another question though. If I pay a higher price for the higher octane gas (92% vs 87%) when using the superchip and get better fuel mileage, will I be breaking about even overall (as far as money spent on gas)? Of course, with the added HP and shifting enhancements, I know I would still benefit if that is the case. Thanks.

Old 01-17-2001, 05:47 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Family Ride,

That's right, your original desire was to hang with or smoke a DOHC Navigator!

Do let us know when you come up against one, I know you will. There aren't a lot of them around, as it's a pricey vehicle. I did see one today, they sure are nice. Maybe if the wife & I hit the lottery?

Actually, I like your idea better, taking another vehicle and improving it's performance to the point that it can compete with other more powerful vehicles. That's the heart and soul of "hot-rodding" to me. You spend less and usually get more, and get it much closer to exaclty how you want it!

Good luck with the 32-V Nav's,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 01-17-2001, 07:20 PM
Cool

Well, I'm surounded by DOHC Nav's. It's not very often that I see a SOHC. Problem is, most everyone driving them have probably never taken it WOT let alone have any desire to let me take them on. Of course, if I do come across one that will, the conditions would have to be just right. Gee, it's a wonder what 20 years does to a person. 20 years ago, I'd take anyone, anywhere and the more danger the better!

------------------
Estate Green
5.4 ltr
Superchip!
Airaid FIPK
Gibson S/S Swept Side
Tow Package
Rear Load Leveling
Moonroof
Century Child Seat!

[This message has been edited by FamilyRide (edited 01-17-2001).]

[This message has been edited by FamilyRide (edited 01-17-2001).]

Old 01-18-2001, 01:37 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Family Ride,

Ahh, I see, I didn't realize that you had so many Nav's near you, no wonder you want to give them fits! The few we have around here are usually driven by wives who drive them conservatively as well.

You sure nailed that one on the head, I think that many of us can say we're lucky to have survived the stunts of our younger & dumber years, I know I sure belong in that group!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 01-18-2001).]

Quick Reply: Chip AND Breather?