Chip AND Breather?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2000, 11:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Chip AND Breather?

I've got a 2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition and I'm itching to be able to smoke a Navigator; I don't know why. Anyhow, I'm considering getting a chip but I'm also considering either a K&N or Airraid FIPK. One thing I've heard is that the FIPK can be a little noisy and I'm not sure if the difference would be that much better than just replacing the filter with a K&N.

Anyone have any experience or comments? How about knowledge of an Exped chipped?

Mines a 5.4ltr, 3:55LS with about 15k miles on it now. It's time for a little change!

Old 11-28-2000, 12:05 AM
Family
I don't think you'll touch a Nav with a good driver, w or w/o a chip.

------------------
97 Lariet-sc-4.6-4x off road-auto-3.55 LS-
superchip-K&N-3"
pvc air box mod-Granetelli MAF

Old 11-28-2000, 09:10 AM
Talking

You wil get mor HP from the FIPK than you will fromt he "drop in". You get a max of 14 HP from the FIPK according to Mike. Agree, think you'll be hard pressed to "smoke a Nav." Good Luck

------------------
2000 F-150, XLT, SPORT 4X4, BRIGHT RED/DARK GRAPHITE, SUPER CAB,
SHORT BED, 5.4L, AUTO, 3:55LS, TOW PACKAGE, HD COOLING/ELECT, SKID PLATES
SPORT CLOTH SIX WAY POWER CAPTAIN'S CHAIRS, CONSOLE, SINGLE CD,
CRUISE,ESOF,REMOTE KEYLESS, FORD SNAPLESS TONNEAU COVER, FORD BEDLINER,
FORD MOLDED SPLASH GUARDS, FORD BODY COLOR CABSTEPS,
MODS: CATCH ALL FRONT MATS, LUND DEFLECTOR, FORD VENT SHADES,
GIBSON SWEPTSIDE CATBACK,
K&N GENII FIPK,
FORD HITCH COVER

NEXT: SUPERCHIP!!

Old 11-28-2000, 11:51 AM
I have an K&N FIPK and it is not very loud. You cannot even hear it unless you are at WOT and even then it sounds good. Get the complete kit, it's alot better

------------------
1999 F-150 Lariat SC 2 WD, White/Silver, 5.4L, 3.55LS, K & N FIPK, Superchip, underdrive pulley set, Dynomax Super Turbo Series Exhaust, six disc CD changer, towing package and captain chairs

Old 11-28-2000, 07:24 PM
Cool

Thanks for everyones input. Mike, your 3 step plan is just what I've considered. As a 4th I've wondered about the pulley replacements. Anyhow, I think for now I'm going to work towards the FIPK and chip then look into having the exhaust done. The only reason I haven't done the chip yet is that damn thing is a pain to get too. You can tell it's been years since I've rolled up my sleeves and then it was on Z-28's and other high school toy's. I do good to change my own oil now.

I guess I'll find a 10mm swivle to get to the harness.

Now, if I can do it without my wife finding out I'm slipping 20+ years to my High School hot rod days. Ok, a loaded up cushy moon roof sport'n family SUV (complete with child seat) isn't quite a hot rod but it's either that or the Volvo!

Thanks again eveyone.

[This message has been edited by FamilyRide (edited 11-28-2000).]

Old 11-29-2000, 12:21 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Family Ride,

Welcome to F-150 Online!

First off, it depends on *which* Navigator you want to run with in your EB Expy (very nice & expensive vehicles, those EB's!). The Nav is a bit heavier, but if the one you want to beat has the 5.4 DOHC 300 hp motor, you're going to need to do several modifications. The Navigator didn't get the 300 hp DOHC 5.4 until the 1999 model year; they were available with one of 3 different 5.4 motors: a 235 hp version, then the 260 hp version, both of which were SOHC variants, and then finally, the 300 hp 5.4 DOHC version. So they do not all have the DOHC 300 hp motor, but that's the one you want to go after, I'm sure. .

The top 3 best bang-for-the-buck mods, all of which you will need to run with the 300 hp Navigator, in order, are:

1.) Optimize your powertrain programming with the Superchip, the single most cost-effective performance enhancer, as it will add up to a maximum of 28 horsepower and 46 lbs./ft. of torque on the 5.4 motor in your Expy. It will also remove the top speed limiter, and help to clean up the rather sloppy shift characteristics of the autoamtic transmission, and help it last a bit longer as well.

2.) Next, reduce restriction in the air intake tract with either the Airaid or the K&N FIPK kit, either one is worth a solid 14 hp on the 5.4 motor. We like the Airaid unit a bit better than the K&N, but you really can't go wrong with either one, as they both cost the same and deliver virtually identical power gains.

3.) Reduce restriction in the exhaust system, go with a good aftermarket cat-back exhaust system, which will add anywhere from 10 to as much as 14 hp, depending on what system you go with. Gibson makes several systems for these vehicles, as do numerous other manufacturers. Gibson's "sweptside" system is one of the better and more quiet units, it's specifically flow-engineered for towing, which is perfect for these heavy trucks even if you never tow. It won't hurt your low-rpm torque on part-throttle like some systems will, and that is very important for cruising in Overdrive.

For more info & details on the Superchip, please feel free to get in touch with us, our contact info is just below.

For the intake FIPK & exhaust system, touch base with Roger Lemere, who runs F-150 Online's Online Store, as they carry most brand of either of those types of products, at excellent prices, and it also helps to support this web site. You can reach Roger at 916-361-2510.

You can do these 3 modifications in any order you like, and it will not affect the eventual outcome in any negative way. Most people prefer to go in the order of best bang-for-the-buck, which is how I've outlined them here.

We definitely recommend going with the FIPK kit as opposed to just dropping a K&N air filter in the factory airbox, as it's the difference between a 5 hp gains (with just the filter) or a 14 hp gain with the FIPK kit. And don't worry about any "noise" from the intake kit, as you'll only hear that when you are at heavy throttle openings, and then it sounds like a 4-bbl., very nice, it's never intrusive or annoyingly noisy, don't worry.

And of course, please feel free to give us a call if you'd just like to go over the details, what you want to achieve, etc., we're happy to help.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 11-29-2000, 01:38 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Family Ride,

Sounds like a good plan.

Just so you'll know, we provide complete documentation on how to get to the computer in your vehicle, and it's pretty easy. If you have the air suspension, then that switch will be in the way a bit, and that will slow things down by about 10 minutes.

You may need to remove the battery & tray to get access to the 10mm bolt in your computer's wiring harness "hub", if you have components there on the firewall just above the harness. Or, a swivel socket may do the trick in your case. In the F-150's you don't have to remove the battery, unless you have the Offroad package. The Expeditions, F-150's and light-duty F-250's all have their computers in the same place.

Worst case scenario, if you have the air suspension and also need to remove the battery, then your typical installation time goes from about 30 minutes to about 50 minutes, on average.

We like the underdrive pulleys too. A good 3-piece set can give you up to about 12 hp, so they're certainly worthwhile. Watch out, this "disease" can be progressive!

Have fun,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 11-29-2000).]

Trending Topics

Old 11-29-2000, 05:54 PM
Hey Mike, why doesn't Ford put the 300hp engines in the F150 also

------------------
1999 F-150 Lariat SC 2 WD, White/Silver, 5.4L, 3.55LS, K & N FIPK, Superchip, underdrive pulley set, Dynomax Super Turbo Series Exhaust, six disc CD changer, towing package and captain chairs

Old 11-29-2000, 06:57 PM
Wink

Mikey88,

Well, that's why you gotta buy a Superchip to get 300 HP on a 5.4L.

------------------
2000 F-150 Harley-Davidson
Superchip
'99 FLHRCI
'95 XLH

Old 11-29-2000, 09:53 PM
Lightbulb

Mike,

I do have the air suspension (kinda cool) bowever, on the Expedition (2000 anyhow) the computer is on the drivers side firewall under the hood. The 2 bolts to get the harness loose are tough becase they're behind the master cylinder. I think it's most of the F150's and maybe earlier Expy's that it's over on the passanger side kick panel and that's where the battery removal comes in. (a friend has one and is considering the same).

I found that out from Sally from Superchips when I was first considering it several months ago.

Thanks again....

Old 11-30-2000, 01:21 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Family Ride,

That's funny, I've never seen any Expedition with it's computer on the driver's side, but just about anything is possible, and some Ford trucks & SUV's do have their computers mounted under the hood, recessed back into the firewall.

In all 1997 & newer F-150's light-duty F-250's and all Expeditions, it's always been not behind the passenger kick panel, but above it and it's wiring harness connects to the front of it, right behind the battery. It's mounted to the right of the dash assembly, and the first inch or so will pass thru an opening in the firewall, so the computer can connect to it's wiring harness.

There are indeed a number of Ford truck & SUV models that have their computers in the location you described (mid-90's Rangers & Explorers, for example), I've never seen an Expedition with one there myself however. In those locations like Sally described to you, the computer is usually mounted so that it's recessed back into the firewall, and the wiring harness will connect in the center as normal on all Ford computers, with the single 10mm bolt head dead-center. Then the computer is held to the firewall with a threaded post & retaining nut, one on each side of the computer if it's mounted horizontally, and one on top and one on bottom if it's mounted vertically. You disconnect the wiring harness, then remove the 2 retaining nuts, and then slide the computer out of it's recess. Until you slide it out, you cannot see the computer, as it's completely recessed back into the firewall.

If your computer happens to actually be like that, over on the driver's side, we'd like to know about that from you if you don't mind please, so we can do an update to our additional documentation we write that we include with each Superchip we ship for these vehicles. Any pictures you might be able to provide would also be helpful if that is feasible for you, and we'd be happy to compensate you, if you canand/or are willing to do that. The manufacturers instructions do a good job of showing you how to install the Superchip onto the Ford computer, but they don't tell you where the computer is, or the easiest way to get to it, etc., so we write a lot of additional documentation that is more vehicle-specific and thus more helpful for first-time installations.

One thing you mentioned that doesn't sound quite right however, and that is your mention of 2 bolts to remove the wiring harness; there is only one, it's a single 10mm bolt head, that is right in the middle of the harness. All Ford ECU's have the exact same wiring harness connection, and always have. They all have only 1 bolt, which is an integral part of the harness and does not come out, but instead, you simply loosen it and as you loosen it, the wiring harness will slowly back off the front of the computer, and then you can completely disconnect it by pulling it straight back. I wonder if the 2 "bolts" you're talking about are in fact the 2 retaining nuts on the threaded posts that are on each side, or top & bottom of the computer, that hold the computer to the firewall, possibly? That would make perfect sense. Then the wiring harness would be in between those 2 threaded posts & retaining nuts, and have it's single 10mm bolt head dead-center.

Thanks in advance for any feedback you can provide on yours, that information will be very helpful to include in our documentation if this is the case, and it could well be, we've just never seen one like that to date in an Expy.

Thanks!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 11-30-2000).]

Old 11-30-2000, 06:32 PM
Cool

Mike,
Why do you like the Airaid better that the K&N? Curious minds want to know.
Dennis

Old 11-30-2000, 07:33 PM
Smile

Mike, I'll see what I can do about getting some pictures.

This is interesting. Yes, there are definetly 2-10mm bolts. However, the harness looks to be a 2 piece hence the 2 bolts. It's pretty large. Each side of the harness looks to be about 3"x4" or so.

I'll see if I can get enough light to get a video and snap a couple pictures of it.

I see where high up on the interior of the firewall the ECU has a handle to pull it through with. I can't see any nuts yet.

I'll keep in touch.

Old 12-01-2000, 02:02 PM
Former Sponsor
HI Dennis,

Well, first of, I don't think you can go wrong with either K&N's FIPK kit or the Airaid brand, as they both cost the same and deliver virtually identical power gains.

I like the Airaid system a little bit better just because it has a bit more substantial mounting setup, and the fact that it just looks a little nicer under the hood. In other words, personal preferences, that may or may not agree with anyone else's opinion on this.

The most beautiful airbox elimination kit is the newer Air Force One kit, which costs a bit more than the other 2, but looks *great* under the hood.

Personally, I think that anyone would enjoy any of those 3 kits. If I were doing a show vehicle, it would be wearing the Air Force One kit. Otherwise, I prefer the Airaid kit.

Another factor is that I think only K&N's FIPK kit is actually emissions certified, so for some owners, that is an issue.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 12-01-2000, 02:11 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Family Ride,

That sure is different, and if this in fact turns out to be the ECU, that's a pretty dramatic change. Our other 2000 Expedition owners haven't had this, so this is going to be very interesting.

At your convenience, if you are able to, we'd love to see anything you have time and might be willing to provide, pictures, etc. We'll make it worth your while.

The 2000 Lincoln LS did have a change, and they did away with the J3 edge connector on the back of that computer, but only that one. Now that you mention it, if memory serves, I think somebody mentioned to me that the Lincoln LS computer had a 2-piece harness like you're describing, but I could just be imagining it, it's been awhile, and I haven't put my hands on an LS, just the TC & Continental, which are unchanged.

Talk to you soon,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: Chip AND Breather?