What do you think about this setup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 12:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What do you think about this setup?

I'm not exactly sure where I should post this thread, maybe the mods could move it if it's in the wrong place. I've been a member for a while but haven't ever posted because I've just been reading other threads about performance options. Finally, here is what I plan to do. I want to stay N.A. as long as possible.

JBA Headers
SuperChip 9100
3" mandrel bent exhaust system
Air force one intake
bigger TB (not exactly sure how big yet)

My questions are..

1. Will be better off getting a custom tune done with the mods I'm planning to do?

2. Am I going to have a nice noticeable power gain?

This is all going on a '02 Screw 5.4L 4x4

Old 08-13-2004, 01:19 PM
batmeat...I would stay away from the bigger tb..I believe that it is a waste of money. Just polish up your stock one and you'll notice a difference and save a ton of money. Also the Air Force one intake is great, but you could save about $100 and get the MAC intake and the quality is just as good. You'll notice a power difference night and day with the 9100, intake and exhaust for sure....I have.

Old 08-13-2004, 02:20 PM
I'd have to agree with chevysniper, stay away from the TB. You also might want to think about electric fans and underdrive pulleys. JMO

Old 08-13-2004, 04:00 PM
yep..e-fans and pullies are my next investments...

Old 08-13-2004, 04:31 PM
E-Fans?? Do they take the load off the belt so your motor doesn't have to spin as hard, essentially freeing up more HP/TQ?

Last edited by batmeat; 08-13-2004 at 04:44 PM.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:41 PM
yes...check out www.troyerperformance.com or call Mike and he'll tell you about them.

Old 08-13-2004, 04:45 PM
Bat meat, I have the exact same setup you described. I have an AF1 intake, Magnaflow 3' exhaust, JBA headers, BBK throttle body, but i have a 6600 chip and the power gains over stock are incredible. My truck halls ****. I also installed all the parts myself and tested the performance after every upgrade. Its an awesome set up and im sure you will enjoy it.

Old 08-14-2004, 02:03 AM
MLDnWLD
What is the diameter on the end of the header, 2" or 3"? There's alot of talk in here about 3" pipes being no good for backpressure, which = less torque. I'm sure stock is 2 1/2, so putting 3" after that is probably useless(I'm no expert). BUT... with your mods, if your headers exits are 3" wide, then it's probably a good thing. Any comments would be EXTREMELY welcome... my next mod is exhaust/headers/hiflow cats.

Thanks in advance

Old 08-14-2004, 01:00 PM
The diameter at the end of my headers is the exact same as stock so that it can mount up with my stock Y-pipes collector. The headers are really a great product. The quality and finish of them is awesome and also installing them isn't really that hard if you just have patients and take your time.

Old 08-14-2004, 05:55 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Batmeat,

As you can see, there are lots of opinions - we've tested virtually every "name" intake kit (and exhaust, and ignition, and header, and so on) on the market for these vehicles - though that's off-topic for here. This is the Computer Chips section, so what is appropriate for discussion here are those matters pertaining to Computer Chips & tuning - not exhausts, or intakes, or superchargers, or ignition system, or headers, etc. So I'll make a couple quick comments, & wish you good luck.............

It's generally true in performance parts that the cheapest usually aren't even close to providing the best results or quality - but then common sense already tells us that, of course. However, it's also true that the most expensive part is not always the best part, either. There are a number of brands that made a "name" simply by being cheap - unfortunately, some people only care about cheap, rather arriving at the best actual result. It can be hard for the average vehicle owner to wade thru all of this - that's our job, and we do the testing required to determine just who is doing the best job in each area, from intake kits, to exhaust systems, to headers, throttle bodies, ignitions, to you name it - that's what we do, make our customers trucks get the best results, focusing on bang for the buck.

For example, on your list, you're already on a pretty darned good track - the 9100 will contain our custom tuning (if you order it from us), which is what will get the best results of any tuning product on the market. The AF1 intake which is the best in it's area, and for the best results on the exhaust side, the Magnaflow 3" exhaust system (which is of course mandrel bent, T304 S/S with a lifetime warranty) are the Top 3 best parts to use in those 3 respective areas of modification. As are the JBA headers for a shorty header - so overall, it looks like you've been doing your homework.

Now I do agree with some of the other comments regarding the relative bang for the buck value of the larger throttle body on these trucks - for example, "ChevySniper" just recently did the hand-porting job (like a number of other F-150 Online members have done) on his throttle body & the throttle body's elbow, and he was very happy with his results. That yields good results given just the cost of labor, basically - he's made a couple of good posts about that recently.

Anyway, I would do the larger throttle body after things like underdrive pulleys & converting to electric cooling fans, simply because of the combination of the stock throttle body is about 70mm already, and the actual bang-for-the-buck will be better doing the underdrive pulleys and electric fans first. (If and when you do upgrade the throttle body, I'd still do the hand-porting job on it's elbow.) Now that is just the bang for the buck order, that doesn't mean you actually need to do your mods in that order - by all means you do whatever makes *you* happy, no matter what anyone else (including me) says!

You already have a good handle on things, but just in case this might be of some use to you, you might want to spend some time reading thru our Performance Packages on our web site to give you an idea of what parts we upgrade at what point, the results, cost, etc. Here's a link to our Stage 1 thru Stage 5 packages if you'd like to check it out: http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...edition%20Etc.

To answer your main question, "2. Am I going to have a nice noticeable power gain?" Yes, you will - from our custom tuning alone, you're going to know upwards of a full second of your 1/4 mile times! Your truck is going to have more power, all the time, at any throttle position or rpm. It's not going to feel like you just strapped on a supercharger, but you'll feel it & definitely like it - doing the custom tuning, the AF1 intake and the Magnaflow exhaust are literally the 3 best bang for the buck mods, so you couldn't make a better selection of parts - that's what we use in our Stage 1 kit, for example.

At any rate, just some quick off-topic FYI, & best of luck on whatever you decide - you'll be happy with the results of doing those mods, and there are posts here in this section you can retrieve & read using the Search feature to give you some feedback on doing those same mods.

I hope that helps a bit & have fun!

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 08-14-2004 at 06:01 PM.

Quick Reply: What do you think about this setup?