Chip Worked Great......Then It Died

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2001, 11:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mike,
Yes I did clean to much but it worked fine for a while. I had the old style connectors on the chip that I had bought from Steeda when I first got the truck. The chip connections had the split in the middle. After i took the chip out it looked like razor blades had scratched a line in the computer connections and they had gone threw. I have a new Superchips now and it has the new connectors which look more forgiving. I still have the old one but with new programs loaded on it and it is very strong. I will get a new flip-chip calibrated to work with the 2001L 90mm mass air in March and can't wait. Thanks

Old 02-22-2001, 12:27 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Weandog,

Ahh, that makes sense if you went a little bit too far in the scraping when removing the coating, and it can be tricky for a first-time installer, certainly! That's one of the reasons why we write so much additional documentation about this specific point that we send out with each Superchip we ship to our customers, in addition to the manufacturer's instructions. The manufacturer's instructions do a good job of telling you how to physically attach the Superchip to the computer, and some good photos; we just like to provide much more detailed info specific to the vehicle, and then more detailed information regarding how we clean those connectors here, visual clues & characteristics to watch out for, etc., specifically to help first-time installers be able to tell just how far to go when scraping the contacts, as it can sometimes be a bit tricky. I'm glad they were able to build it back up with solder so you'd have a good connection. It's funny how if you go too far in scraping the contacts, it can still work fine for awhile, but then later on, need to be built back up.

Have fun & good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 02-22-2001, 10:08 AM
Actually Mike, The chip I bought from Steeda came with no instructions! It had a dent in it when it arrived and came with the little buffing pad, that was it. At first it didn't work at all so I called Steeda and they told me to use alcohol to clean the silicon off better and to make sure the connections were very clean and if it still didn't work to call superchips. It worked for awhile and then just quit. I ran without a chip for some time and then called JL to order some parts and told him of my problem with the chip. He was the one that told me that I might need to build the solder up on the CPU connections. I think I recall that he had to do that also or he had just heard of another one that needed that done. Because of the dent I thought that the chip was messed up. He gave me alot of tech advice on many subjects that day. I drove 8 hours to see him and get the parts while the computer was being soldered. The chip was fine and so I also had him load his programs on it. I have had no problems since and have his newest programs on it now and they are very strong. By the middle of March I will get a new flip-chip with JDM programs and the new connectors. I love the two superchips I have now and expect to love the new one also. It was not a Superchip problem it was Steeda and my fault.
Larry

Old 02-22-2001, 03:22 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Weandog,

That's pretty poor service from Steeda, I'm sorry to hear that

Well, at least it's taken care of now, so you're up and running!

Have fun,

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 02-22-2001, 11:50 PM
Here is another tip for cleaning any type of contacts on a PCB or batteries. Now this won't take the clear coating off, but dresses the actual metal contacts very well. I use this constantly when fixing cellular phones and pagers. Just a simple pencil eraser. I use the type that can be sharpened. It's like a pencil with eraser in the middle rather than lead. Best thing since sliced bread to dress contacts in my opinion. You can get into some really tight spaces with it when it's sharpened. After you use the eraser, clean with alcohol and a Q-Tip to get any eraser residue off.

If you don't believe me, try rubbing a dirty penny with an eraser and watch what happens.

------------------
Boss™

Ordered June 29th, 2000; took delivery Nov. 28th: 2001 F-150 Lariat, Oxford White/Silver Supercab 4x4, Styleside, 5.4L, 7700# payload, Class III Tow, 3.73LS, Skids, Leather Captains, 4W disc ABS, shift-on-fly, keyless.Engine build date: 10-25-00
Modifications:
"Protected by the Owner with his 2 friends, Smith & Wesson" sticker, Westin Chromed Stainless Nerf Bars, ARE LS II bed cover, Bedrug™, Gibson Swept Side Cat Back, K&N filter w/airbox mods, Pacesetter ceramic coated headers, Hyper-White bulbs, Pioneer DEH-8200R, Ventshades(not on back doors), Hood deflector.
Future Modifications
Superchip, 3" body lift with at least 33's, alarm/pager/auto start system, stereo system

Old 02-23-2001, 01:27 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Boss,

That's an excellent tip, we do mention using a pencil eraser in our documentation, but hadn't thought about the kind you can sharpen, and thus work much more precisely with, good tip!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 02-24-2001, 07:03 PM
BBB
Lightbulb

Have you folks ever used clean pencil erasures to remove coatings. I work in computers and do this all the time before we seat boards, etc.

Old 02-25-2001, 05:57 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi BBB,

Yeah, I think that's basically where it all comes from, from those of us who are used to dealing with edge conectors, primarily in the computer business, whether it's mainframe, mini, or PC etc. Of course, the conformal coating used in computer PCB's is generally much different, it's far thinner and harder, whereas the conformal coating on the PCB's inside the Ford ECU's is thicker & silicone-based.

Usually the only time you use the eraser in computer-based PCB's is just to clean the connector, you're not actually trying to remove the conformal coating, as just the action of seating the card in it's slot, due to computers having far tighter connections, automatically cuts right thru and you can clearly see the trace on the contacts from, just one insertion.

We mention this in our documentation, as using the eraser can one way to detect if all of that coating has been removed.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Quick Reply: Chip Worked Great......Then It Died