Chip Worked Great......Then It Died

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2001, 04:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Chip Worked Great......Then It Died

hey i got my superchip for my truck and it worked great
really love it
but driving along went to stop and my motor dies if i pull the key all thebway off it will start back up
did that about 4 times
then went to start it once and it would not stay running past a minute or so
so i pull the chip and it works again chipless

last night i went to put it back in and it worked fine
went to stop at a major intersection tonight and it died
wouldnt start ripped off the plastic pieces and pulled the chip to get it to restart

got home and tried going through the install process again and it wont start with the chip in it at all

?????????????????????????????????????????

anyone have this problem? how did you fix it?
Mike I emailed you about this to so i hope you can reply shortly to the email

------------------
1999 F-150 Supercab Styleside Lariat 5.4L V8 3.55LS gears
Tan Leather Seats Front/Back
Captain Chairs in front
Tan Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
Remote Entry
Signal Mirrors

Navigator Front End
Factory 2tone Red on top of Gold
Metallic Flake Ghost Flames in the gold
18inch Wheels
Lowered 2/3
Rhino Bedliner
Euro "Atezza" Tail Lights

Stock CD player
Rockford Fosgate Punch 250a Amplifier
2 RF Punch DXL 8inch Subwoofers
2 Kenwood Midranges (in the front doors)

K&N "Drop In" Filter
Flowmasters

Within the next Month: Superchip, 3/4 drop (already got the money just need to order them)

By my 17th birthday (March 23rd): White Face Guages, HOPEFULLY A SUPERCHARGER PACKAGE

Some Quick Photos
www.geocities.com/thepyromaniackid

Things That Have Gone Wrong So Far:
Burnt Anti-Freeze Smell
The Anti-Freeze seems to leaking but the fluid level hasn't gone done any
This has Caused a Coil to go out
The passenger side Door-Lock went out
The driver side Door-Lock went out
Muth Signal Mirrors Reflective Backing Cracked All To Hell

Fixed under warranty: Coil, Passenger Side Door-Lock
Will be Fixed under warranty: Driver Side Door-Lock, Muth Signal Mirrors
(Wonder what the Ford House will say when I show up with a Lincoln Truck for warranty work)

Can't FInd The Anti-Freeze Leak (?)
Tried putting in AlumniSeal and hasn't got hot enough to see if it still has the
Burnt Anit-Freeze Smell

Old 02-18-2001, 04:14 AM
You probably didn't clean the edge connector on the computer quite good enough. I ended up taking a small flathead screwdriver and LIGHTLY working over the contacts then wiping with alcohol q-tip and repeating. You will finally not get anymore whitish shavings and it should be good.

I have a trackball instead of a mouse on my computer and I have to clean the little rollers every couple of weeks. When I was cleaning the edge connector it really reminded me of that. Light strokes.

If you are confident that you already cleaned them good enough, maybe there are some shavings that got in the Superchip connector or some shavings present on the computer edge connector that you did not see.

Mine didn'y start at all the first go round so I just buckled down and took my time and got it.

Forget trying to start before screwing the connector back into the firewall. Mine also would not start doing that.

Good luck

BTW it's kind of late isn't it?

G

------------------
2000 F-150 Supercab Shortbed 3.55LS
5.4L

MODS
4WD valence W/hooks
K&N air filter
Hellwig rear sway bar
Raven muffler
Superchip
Cervini ram air hood being painted/installed

'67 Honda CL77 305 scrambler
'67 Honda CL160 scrambler
12 string Ovation
Mid-mo mandolin
Ovation mandolin

[This message has been edited by Geeky (edited 02-18-2001).]

Old 02-18-2001, 04:37 AM
i cleaned it plenty good

and it worked great for a long time
then it stopped and is acting screwey
bad thing is that it is emberassing that it breaks down so
like when it broke down and i had to pull it the first time i was hanging out with alot of friends and was leaving to take 3 girls riding around

oh well they kinda like it that i actually knew what to do since it was broke down
so it wasnt that bad ;-)

Old 02-18-2001, 11:55 AM
Arrow

ThePyroManiacKid,

I'd call Mike directly. He will and can help you a lot faster that way than here or email. It does sounds like an installation issue, but who knows, could be a one in a million chip problems.

------------------
<A HREF="http://home.att.net/~jmtkennedy/Expedition/Expy.JPG" TARGET=_blank>
2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition 4x2</A>
  • Estate Green
  • 5.4 ltr
  • 3:55 LS rear
  • Superchip!<A HREF="http://home.att.net/~jmtkennedy/Expedition/Airaidfr.JPG" TARGET=_blank>
  • Airaid FIPK</A><A HREF="http://home.att.net/~jmtkennedy/Expedition/GibExitFr1.JPG" TARGET=_blank>
  • Gibson S/S Swept Side Cat Back Exhaust</A>
  • Tow Package
  • Rear Load Leveling
  • Moonroof<A HREF="http://home.att.net/~jmtkennedy/Expedition/CenturyChildSeat.JPG" TARGET=_blank>
  • Century Child Seat!</A>
  • Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar ordered
  • Front Polyurethane Anti-Sway Bar Bushings ordered

Old 02-18-2001, 03:28 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Pyro,

Sorry to hear you're having this problem, and of course we'll be happy to help, so please feel free to give us a call, and we'll be happy to go over a number of things with you in detail.

First, if it were a problem with the Superchip itself, what normally happens is that the vehicle would never start, as the Superchip is an "all or nothing" type of device, it either works or it doesn't. We're always happy to check it for you of course, but that's basically what happens, it's all or nothing, so if the Superchip fails, it fails completely and the vehicle will not even start.

I can tell you that with your symptoms, it's going to be connection-related, and the first thing I would suggest is to go back over the additional documentation we write that includes troubleshooting information on what to do if you have this type of symptom, as there can be a few different causes, all of them connection-related.

You need to check to make sure that neither the black pressure clip that holds the computer to it's mounting bracket, or the mounting bracket itself, do not have a "tab", or "lip" on either one of them that will slighty touch the Superchip module, as over time, that will cause the Superchip to lose it's connection with the computer. If there is a tab or lip on that mounting bracket, you will need to remove it from the vehicle to either bend or trim that little lip; though a few people have been able to bend it in place, you usually have to remove it from the vehicle to do this, and then it's much easier.

You also need to pull that computer out again, and go back over the contacts very carefully, using strong bright light and a magnifying glass, or reading glasses, etc. anything you have on hand to give you a larger & sharper view of that connector, because, and this is key, the conformal coating that has to be removed from the contacts is clear in color, and can be tricky to see and fully remove for a first-time installer. Keep in mind that you don't want to go down to the copper, though it's usually ok if a *little* bit of copper happens to show through on 1 or 2 contacts, just make sure no more, and make sure not to scrape on any exposed copper. (This is one of the reasons why we write so much additional information in our documentation, to cover all of these possibilities.)

When you do a "re-check" of the condition of the contacts, what you want to do is to take some type of implement, we recommend a very small straight-blade screwdriver, and go lightly back over every bit of area on each of the contacts, looking for anything that turns white as you lightly scrape. Anything that turns white is more conformal coating, that must be removed. If the clear conformal coating is thick, and it can be sometimes, then you should also scrape in between the contacts to remove the coating there as well, so it doesn't transfer over into the slot on the Superchip. You should also take a look inside the slot on the Superchip to make sure no conformal coating has transferred over from the connector; if it has, it will be easy to spot in good light, as it will have turned white & leave a white residue; if you find that, what we do is just turn it so the slot points down, and flick any of that stuff off the contacts inside the Superchip flot with a safety pin, this is very easy.

We have seen instances where people have installed the Superchip and had no problems for as long as a year or even longer, and then have no-starts or stalls like this, and it's virtually always a connection-related issue.

Also, don't forget to also tape the Superchip module in place, so it cannot wobble or come loose over time or in case of an impact event, hitting a curb, a bad pothole, what have you, etc. We do this automatically anytime we install the Superchip in a pickup truck, SUV, or anything with 4WD.

And of course, please feel free to call us, as your Performance Products documentation suggests you do immediately anytime you have a problem, as that is the fastest way (and the correct way) to get help or technical support from us. Even though we're not officially open on weekends, we always return Technical Support calls, so please don't hesitate to leave us a voicemail if you call after hours. We'll be happy to go over all of this in details with you and find the source of the problem Pyro, so you can get back to enjoying your Superchip.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 02-18-2001).]

Old 02-18-2001, 04:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a similar problem when I first installed mine in my last truck. Worked great all day the Saturday I installed it. Then Sunday morning, the truck would not start. It turned out to be that the rolled up edge on the bracket had pushed on the chip enough to unseat it (even with tape on it). I removed and flattened out the edge and have never had a problem since.

For this truck..I went ahead and pulled the bracket and flattened it out...and I have never had a problem.

Best of luck!

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with super engine cooling/auxiliary transmission cooling HD package, Heavy duty shocks, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, FORD bedliner, FORD black tubular cab steps, K&N air filter, mar-hyde rubberized undercoating, Modine climate filtration system, Bugflector II, Mobil 1 oil, build 7/2000

Old 02-18-2001, 05:23 PM
ok Mike
i didnt want to bug you on the weekend so i tried this instead
i will take it out tonight and clean it better
hopefully this will work
i bet it will just wanted to make sure that i didnt screw anything up (im real good at screwing things up)

Thanx For The Help,
Pyro

------------------
1999 F-150 Supercab Styleside Lariat 5.4L V8 3.55LS gears
Tan Leather Seats Front/Back
Captain Chairs in front
Tan Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
Remote Entry
Signal Mirrors

Navigator Front End
Factory 2tone Red on top of Gold
Metallic Flake Ghost Flames in the gold
18inch Wheels
Lowered 2/3
Rhino Bedliner
Euro "Atezza" Tail Lights

Stock CD player
Rockford Fosgate Punch 250a Amplifier
2 RF Punch DXL 8inch Subwoofers
2 Kenwood Midranges (in the front doors)

K&N "Drop In" Filter
Flowmasters

Within the next Month: Superchip, 3/4 drop (already got the money just need to order them)

By my 17th birthday (March 23rd): White Face Guages, HOPEFULLY A SUPERCHARGER PACKAGE

Some Quick Photos
www.geocities.com/thepyromaniackid

Things That Have Gone Wrong So Far:
Burnt Anti-Freeze Smell
The Anti-Freeze seems to leaking but the fluid level hasn't gone done any
This has Caused a Coil to go out
The passenger side Door-Lock went out
The driver side Door-Lock went out
Muth Signal Mirrors Reflective Backing Cracked All To Hell

Fixed under warranty: Coil, Passenger Side Door-Lock
Will be Fixed under warranty: Driver Side Door-Lock, Muth Signal Mirrors
(Wonder what the Ford House will say when I show up with a Lincoln Truck for warranty work)

Can't FInd The Anti-Freeze Leak (?)
Tried putting in AlumniSeal and hasn't got hot enough to see if it still has the
Burnt Anit-Freeze Smell

Old 02-18-2001, 05:41 PM
Cool

Like Dustoff, I had to completely remove the bracket to flatten out the lip. (Not all trucks use the same bracket.) Once it was out, put the thing in a vice and flattened it out. To be honest, I had one heckuva time getting the bracket out and that was the most difficult part of the chip installation!

------------------
2000 F150 Harley-Davidson: Superchip, K&N FIPK
Hard Tonneau, Hidden Hitch, 2-Meter Rig (KG0UK)
'99 FLHRCI, '95 XLH

Old 02-18-2001, 10:24 PM
Thumbs up

I'm with Harleyguy. An added 45 minutes and bloodshed to get that blasted bracket out. But I wasn't comfortable with how it mounted with the lip. I'm glas I did it. I have a solid install and a happy Expy!

------------------
<A HREF="http://home.att.net/~jmtkennedy/Expedition/Expy.JPG" TARGET=_blank>
2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition 4x2</A>
  • Estate Green
  • 5.4 ltr
  • 3:55 LS rear
  • Superchip!<A HREF="http://home.att.net/~jmtkennedy/Expedition/Airaidfr.JPG" TARGET=_blank>
  • Airaid FIPK</A><A HREF="http://home.att.net/~jmtkennedy/Expedition/GibExitFr1.JPG" TARGET=_blank>
  • Gibson S/S Swept Side Cat Back Exhaust</A>
  • Tow Package
  • Rear Load Leveling
  • Moonroof<A HREF="http://home.att.net/~jmtkennedy/Expedition/CenturyChildSeat.JPG" TARGET=_blank>
  • Century Child Seat!</A>
  • Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar ordered
  • Front Polyurethane Anti-Sway Bar Bushings ordered

Old 02-18-2001, 11:56 PM
alright i tried cleaning it again and got all the scum off

taped the heck out of it and put it all back together via the instructions

didnt help
still wouldnt start at all
bummer

guess i will be giving mike a call

oh yah i still outran a 350 chevy out at our little street racing area saturday night without the chip

there is a 96 Mustang GT that was real slow
when i get the chip going i know i can outrun him
mwahahah

Old 02-19-2001, 05:48 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Pyro,

I'm sorry to hear you're still having a problem, it sounds like we should talk over the phone and go over everything in detail, given your current situation. And by the way, please don't hesitate to call us even over a weekend, as even though we are not officially open on weekends, we do have 24 hr. voicemail and return all Tech Support calls over the weekend, as many people are doing their installations over the weekend, and we want them to have help if they need it, of course. It was very considerate of you to not want to call us over the weekend, but we'd actually rather have you call us, as we want the same thing you do, fun & reliable operations.

So when you get a chance, please do give us a call, and we'll be happy to go over what's going on, and get you back up and running like you should be!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 02-19-2001).]

Old 02-19-2001, 09:25 PM
Location: Beautiful Fort Worth in the Great State of Texas which is part of The Best Country on this Planet Earth, The U.S.A.!
&lt;Lighting a small novena candle in Mike's honor&gt;
hehe, God bless ya, Mike!

Old 02-20-2001, 06:37 AM
I had this same problem, I didn't bend the lip but I will now that I know. I had to take the computer to a local electronics shop to have the connections built up with solder. I guess the chip had chewed through the connections. I haven't had a problem since but I will Bend the lip on the bracket cause I don't want to have that on my mind.
Larry

Old 02-20-2001, 02:27 PM
Former Sponsor
We finally got a chance to speak with "Pyro" last night, and went over in detail how he did his cleaning of the connector. In his case, it sounded like he was pretty thorough for the most part, but he did not remove the cover of the computer so he could get better access to the bottom side of the connector, so he is going to pull it back out, remove the cover, and give it another try. H's a very nice young man to talk to, good level-headed fellow.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 02-20-2001, 02:35 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi weandog,

I saw your post, and just wanted to make a quick comment..........

The Superchip cannot "chew through" those contacts, that can't happen even if you install & remove it a hundred times. What most likely happened was either too much scraping on the contacts and went too far so the copper was exposed and then damaged, requiring that solder to repair the
contact(s), or, you could have had an edge connector that was a little bit thinner than spec, we've seen that on a few vehicles. In fact, Superchips just did a design change on the contacts inside the slot on the Superchip for that purpose a few months ago, as we started to see that. We first saw a few thinner-than-spec edge connectors on a few Lightnings, and then on a few other vehicles, so they went ahead and made a change to compensate, so the Superchip will work with wider tolerances in the thickness of that connector.

In either case, building the contacts back up with some solder does the trick, so you've got a good solid connection once again, so we're glad to hear you're back to enjoying your Superchip!

By the way, I also liked your comment regarding going back to check to see if you have that "lip" or "tab" on the mounting bracket, that's an excellent idea. Only a few of them have this, perhaps 1 in 5 or so, but if it's there, over time it can push on the Superchip and cause it to lose it's connection, so its good that you're going to check that as well. Like you said, then you won't have that on your mind.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 02-20-2001).]

Quick Reply: Chip Worked Great......Then It Died