Chip Decision?????

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 05:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Chip Decision?????

I have decided that I want a chip or turner that gives me firmer tranny shifts, negates the rev/speed limiter, will recalibrated my speedo and does not require higher octane gas. I am aware that max performance is gained with the high octane gas. I have narrowed my choices down to the 5500 chip and the 1715 programmer. The question is if I go with the 5500 which is a chip, then do I have to plug it into the computer? I know the 1715 goes into the diagnostic port and there is no messing with the pcm itself. Who knows????? and who has used the 5500??????Anybody?

Old 08-15-2004, 07:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think you mean the 6600 which does plug into the computer. Like you said the 1715 plugs into the diagnostic port and reflashes the computer. I have the 9100 which is the custom tuned version of the 1715 and it has been outstanding. I would recomend the 6600 or the 9100 over the 1715 because they are both custom tuned and you will see bigger performance and mileage gians over the 1715. Hope this helps

Old 08-15-2004, 09:37 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sorry to mislead there, the 5500 is the single program version of the 6600. And it still plugs into the computer as well.

Old 08-18-2004, 11:51 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi ScrewedUP,

The 5500 and the 6600 are chips like any other in terms of the physical attachment to the PCM and basic installation procedure - so you will have to remove the PCM from the vehicle, remove the PCM's covers, and then properly clean the J3 connector at the back of the PCM before you can install the chip - then reinstall the PCM back into the vehicle & you're ready to go!

It doesn't matter if it's single or multi-program, no chip is going to allow you to simply plug into the OBD-II port and flash the PCM - that is done *ONLY* via flash devices, like the 9100 custom tune-capable version Micro Tuner, or the #1715 Micro Tuner, which is the "standard" Superchip performance tuning.

I wouldn't be too concerned with the additional time/effort required to install our chip over our tuner, as we provide very thorough documentation that guides a first-time installer thru this on the late-model F-150 with no surprises - figure that installing the 5500 will usually take a first-timer about 30 minutes (after reading all of the documentation), and the 6600 will usually take 30-45 minutes (a little extra time to mount the program selector ****). But of course, you do whatever makes *you* most comfortable, always.

The 5500 will get you an in-depth custom tune from us that will deliver more power and performance than the "standard" Superchips performance tuning in the #1715 Micro Tuner can. To get the kind of power & performance the 5500 with our custom tuning can give you, but in a flash device so you never have to touch the PCM, you should consider our #9100 Micro Tuner, as that gets you THREE different custom tunes set up however you want them, so you can have things like multi-octane capability, towing tunes, max performance tunes, etc. all on hand to switch between as needed.

Just remember to take into consideration that our custom tuning (even for a bone stock vehicle) gets you more power & performance gains than the "standard" Superchips tuning does (though the "standard" Superchips performance tuning in the 1715 works very well, of course) - so if you want maximum gains, go with our custom tuning products.

The #1715 Micro Tuner is the standard Superchips performance tuning, whereas the #9100 Micro Tuner allows us to load our *custom* tuning to get you the absolute highest power & performance gains, as does our #5500 chip (single custom program) and our #6600 chip (4 different custom programs). So the 3 different products that you can get our custom tuning in (again, even for a bone-stock vehicle) would be the 5500 (single custom program chip), the 6600 (4-custom program chip) and the 9100 (3-custom program Micro Tuner, the "flash" device you don't have to touch the PCM to use).

Here's a link to the area on our web site that goes over all of this, just in case you may not have seen this already: http://www.troyerperformance.com/cgi...chips%3BFoMoCo

I hope that info helps, & don't hesitate to call us if you'd like to go over any of this in more detail, etc.

Last edited by Superchips_Distributor; 08-18-2004 at 12:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Chip Decision?????