should I take the?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2001, 01:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post should I take the?

I have 33/12.5/17 tires and 4.10 gears. I have to take my truck to Ford to get the speedo reprogramed. Should I take the Chip out before I do this. Has anyone else left there chip in and took it to Ford. I just dont want to put up with there *****. Thanks Guys.

------------------
2000 F-150 2wd sport auto transmission
Jacobs Ignition
K&N
Superchip
Throttle body spacer
cat back exaust
Custom Seat Covers
Dash Mat
Ford Floor Mats
Cd player
pioneer Speakers
Rockford Amp
Truck Box
Rhino Liner
Grill Gaurd
Nerf Bars
custom graphics
tail light covers
Vent Visors
Driving Lights
tinted windows
Fabtech spindle lift
3 inch body lift
lift lips
33/12.5/17 Procomp A/T
4.10 gears(had 3.55)

Old 02-25-2001, 05:28 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi TucsonTruck,

Well, if they're going to do it via the SBDS (Service Bay Diagnostic System) system like they normally do, you'll *have* to remove the Superchip for them to do it, but that won't matter much, because just as soon as you replace the Superchip, the factory program will once again not be used, due to the engagement of the external override data path with the Superchip, so it won't do you any good to do it that way, as the ECU will be once again running on the Superchip program.

If this dealership has the ability to actually reprogram the actual module for the speedo itself, which if memory serves (and I'm no Ford tech, let me quickly point out!) is behind the instrument cluster, instead of altering the program inside the ECU (PCM, etc., it all means the same thing, the powertrain computer that controls the engine & automatic transmission if so equipped) like most dealerships normally seem to do, then that will work fine, and you're lucky, not many dealerships seem to be able to do that.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 02-25-2001, 06:41 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
TusconTruck,

Since 1999 the PCM controls all the speedo functions. If you have the Dealer reprogram, which I suspect they won't be able to do unless they get creative, you will loose it when you plug in the chip. When I get my 4.10s I will have it done at the Dealer because my 16yr old will be driving the truck by then. He will not get the benifit of the chip but will see the use of a lenthened throttle cable. And if that doesn't work I will remove 2 plugs. I know for sure my dealer will not be able to program for 33s & 4.10 so I will have it done for 255s & 3.73s. I will also have the chip reprogrammed for the 33s.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd 3.55LSD
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks, MAC 8.8 Axle Girdle
BFG 285/75 R16 MTs,
Borla Cat Back, Headman Headers,
Custom air intake system with modified
air box, Ported Throttle body,
Shortened MAF sensor tower,
K&N air filter,
Superchips

Old 02-26-2001, 03:20 AM
Mike, does this meen I cant run the superchip if I want the correct speed? Can you reprogram the superchip for me? The dealer said they could do it by reprograming the computer for me. So when you use the superchip it bypasses the ECU all togeher? So if thats the case then having ford mess with the comp will be useless. Please reply soon. I have a appointment with Ford Tuesday morning. I dont want to waste money if I dont have to. If you can do it then tell me what I have to do and I will send it back to you for the fix. Thanks

Old 02-27-2001, 01:12 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Tuscon,

Well, that's exactly why I posted a response to you, so you'd know.

The Superchip doesn't "bypass the ECU", but what it does do is to bypass the programming inside the ECU, as when you install the Superchip that circuit you attach to tells the computer to turn off it's internal EPROM chip, and to seek it's instructions externally, via the Superchip, so any changes they make will not be available as soon as you plug the Superchip in. And, if they actually change the software revision in your computer, your truck probably won't start when you go to plug that Superchip back in again.

My advice is to *not* take it in to the dealer for this, and just get in touch with us.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 02-27-2001, 07:47 PM
Thanks Mike, I just got off of the phone with you. We talked about the NBW2 program. I will keep my fingers crossed in hopes we can do something about it. I took it to Ford before I read your last post. They said they could do it. I left it there all day. When I went to pick it up they said they could not do it. They still had the nerve to charge be 70.00 dollars. Well that was until I had some choice words with the service manager. The decided they would not charge me. That was sure nice of them. Ya Right! I would have strong that guy up by his toes...lol. Anyhow I am glad now they did not change anything in the program. That means I won’t have to sacrifice my Superchip. I will be waiting for your phone call. I sure do hope you can find another template to mach mine. If there is one I know you will find it. Thanks again Mike.

Old 03-01-2001, 02:56 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Tucson Truck,

I'm glad you called. They said they aren't sure on this one, that we'd just have to try it and see. If it doesn't work, then they won't charge us for the custom programming, so it might be worth giving it a try.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Trending Topics

Old 03-02-2001, 12:39 AM
Thanks Mike, I will call you soon to set it up. I have to try something. I cant go on putting more miles on my truck then I am realy doing.