Does battery disconnect clear everything...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2001, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Does battery disconnect clear everything...

I have a Ford ESP, and I am really thinking about the Superchip but don't really want the hassle of warranty questions -- even with the protection of the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. After removing the chip, will the procedure for clearing the PCM (disconnect Neg. terminal and turn on lights for five minutes) also clear all the recorded codes? I don't want to seem sneaky or dishonest here; I'm just trying to avoid unnecessary pain in the rear quarters, yet still experience the advantages of the chip. It's the having-your-cake-and-eating-it-too syndrome.

------------------
2000 4x4 (ORP) Regular Cab Flareside
Medium Toreador Red Metallic
Triton 5.4L
Westin Brush Guard
KC Hiliters
TOFF Liner
Snuglid

No other mods, but I'm starting to get that itch really bad.

[This message has been edited by Roach (edited 03-02-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Roach (edited 03-02-2001).]

Old 03-02-2001, 02:35 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Roach,

Welcome to F-150 Online!

Some automakers will have provisions for storing certain types of information in non-volatile memory, like for example, some Cadillacs will record the highest speed the vehicle ever reached. In these Fords, once you disconnect the battery and do the residual voltage drain as you desscribed, any stored codes are eliminated, and they cannot tell that the Superchip was used.

Your concerns are perfectly understandable, and in fact, we always recommend removing the Superchip prior to service, but not because of warranty considerations; it's because with the Superchip attached, if they do a diagnostic scan on your computer, they'll still be able to get any error codes, the Superchip dos not interfere with that process, but they will also get an additional "false" error code, (P0605), which tells the technician that the computer's internal EPROM chip is not functioning, and unless that particular tech has used performance chips on Ford computers, they don't know how that circuit actually works in this regard, and they think the computer has actually failed! Nothing is actually wrong at all, tht circuit acts like an on/off switch basically, you simply remove the Superchip and that turns back on the internal EPROM chip instantly, just as it's supposed to, and that code disappears. But most techs aren't aware of this, so that is why we recommend pulling them prior to service, it's just easier that trying to tell a technician their job.

Best of luck, whatever you decide!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 03-02-2001, 02:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks, Mike.

I actually spoke with you some weeks ago regarding other questions I have. Thanks again for top-notch information and service. I have been a member of F150 Online for a while under another name (AirBurps), but most of my activity was in the Lightning forum. No, I didn't get kicked out for being a jerk, but I haven't used the ID in a while, so I decided to get a new one. I can find no other place so full of good people, humor, and information.

Quick Reply: Does battery disconnect clear everything...