When is it time to get a "custom chip"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2001, 06:04 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question When is it time to get a "custom chip"?

I have a Superchip in my truck now and I love it. I was wondering at what point should I send it in to get a custom program. Right now, I have underdrive pullies, the K&N FIPK, a mild shift-kit, the Superchip, a K&N exhaust system (that I'm installing tomorrow), and I will be getting JBA headers next week. After that, I'll probably put some different gears in. Would I be able to get more performance from my Superchip if I were to get a custom program put on it? Also, if I wasn't concerned about it being CARB legal, would there be more things I could do on the chip?

------------------
'97 F-150XLT extra-cab w/ 4.6L Windsor and auto.
Superchip!
K&N filtercharger
Jett underdrive pulley
mild shift kit
Future plans:
4.6 to 5.4PI head swap
headers
Borla cat-back exhaust
supercharger (haven't decided which one, yet)

Old 03-02-2001, 09:00 AM
Also, what is the approximate cost of a "re-programming"; or does it depend on what needs to be modified?

Old 03-02-2001, 02:55 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi elmo,

Out of all your mods, the only one that could benefit from any custom programming would be the headers, and even then it's not *required*, it's just that we can pick up a few more ponies if we do.

With 1999 & newer F-150's, if you do a gear ratio change then we can do the speedometer corrections on many of the various codes in these F-150's, but since you have a 1997, all you need to do is to change the reduction gear in the tailshaft of your transmission, and that will restore your speedometer accuracy. This can be done up thru and including the 1998 model year on these F-150's, and then starting in the 1999 model year, it's all in the program, so starting in the 1999 model year is when we start doing speedo corrections in the program.

Custom programming in these F-150's is generally required only when you do major mechanical modifications, like superchargers, ported heads, camshaft changes, etc. Then as you get into the 1999 model year, if you do gear ratio changes as well. Also, using an aftermarket mass airflow meter usually requires compensation more often than not, due to their leaning out of the A/F ratio.

Things like airbox kits, exhaust system changes, underdrive pulleys, etc. do not need any custom programming, so in your case, it's just the headers that we can do a custom program for to pull out another 4-5 horsepower.

We really can't make any more power even if we don't care about emissions, as there have never been any emissions standards that have to be met during full-throttle operation anyway, so we're already doing everything that can be done in these gas motors for power. In the turbocharged Powerstroke diesels, if we don't care about the emissions, we can pour in more fuel and make more power, but normally-aspirated gas motors like yours don't work like that, great question!

If you'd like to go over the details of just what we can do for your headers and the cost, etc., please just give us a shout via phone or email, and we'll be happy to get you those details.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 03-02-2001, 04:25 PM
thanx

Quick Reply: When is it time to get a "custom chip"?