99 4.6l .........

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2004, 07:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 4.6l .........

i have a 99 f-150 with the 4.6l, i want it to be much much faster, but yeah, as most of u know, ITS SLOW. i have gibson split rear exhaust, K&N intake, MSD dis-4, msd coil packs, MSD Super Condutors, and NGK Plugs. i want a chip NOW! i want it to be programmed for wut i have right now, but i want a chance to expand without reprogs. any ideas guys?

Old 08-17-2004, 07:38 PM
SuperCharge it...that's the only way to get it "much, much" faster...the SuperChips 9100 can be programmed for what you have and if you make mods Mike Troyer can send them to you email...

You may want to think about gears also. Don't know much about your truck other than you have a Big Heavy truck and a little tiny v8...It's no Dragster, well, without a supercarger...

Old 08-18-2004, 07:19 PM
i always thought that u only need gears after heavy heavy heavy HEAVY amounts of mods.

Old 08-18-2004, 11:14 PM
You can should probably re-gear if you go with bigger tire sizes just to keep the power you had. All gears do is put the power to the wheels. You don't have to re-gear, it will just help with the take off...you probably lost some torque by splitting your exhaust if it's too big. You need that velocity of exhaust for torque. There are a lot of people on here that can explain it a lot better than I can, just be patient. But since we're in the Computer Chips forum, I would say give www.troyerperformance.com a try.

Last edited by ChevySniper; 08-18-2004 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-19-2004, 02:21 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi jdcfromnyc,

The first place to start is to have a sharp custom tune - that's the single best bang for the buck. It won't feel like a supercharger of course, it's just the single best bang for the buck, as nothing else will improve performance as much for the same or less cost - so it's the best "bang for the buck."

There is no limit to how fast we can make these F-150's run - other than the customer's budget. We can literally make them run just as fast, quick & hard as anyone wants.

You've done a couple of simple bolt-ons, along with a very nice ignition setup - our tuning will bring all of that together and make the truck come alive.

Whether you will need to have tuning changes in the future depends on what you actually do to the vehicle in the future - there is no such thing as any kind of tuning that will allow you to make any and all modifications you want in the future and never require any tuning changes to compensate - there is no getting around tuning changes if you do a modification that actually affects the tuning in a negative way - things like a supercharger, changing either the MAF meter of fuel injector size, ported heads, camshafts, underdrive pulleys (just an idle speed adjustment for the underdrive pulleys is recommended, but not required), or gear ratio or tire size changes in the 1999 & newer F-150's.

Things like your intake kit, cat-back exhaust system, converting to electric cooling fans, a larger throttle body, or shorty headers, do not generally affect the tuning. All of those things you could do at a later date and not need any further tuning changes in the 1997-2004 F-150, just to give you a rough idea.

It's generally the more involved mods that require retuning, and any of our custom tuning products can easily be updated with any tuning changes (if needed) in the future. In fact, if you go with our #9100 custom Micro Tuner and it's email update kit, we can EMAIL you any tuning changes needed in the future, instead of you needing to send a chip in.

The best thing to do is to give us a call at our number listed below, so we can go over with you just how fast you want to go, any other mods you may be thinking about, etc., so we can let you know just exactly what will and what will not cause a need for *future* tuning changes based on additional *future* modifications on that vehicle, so you'll know all of that up front, that no mistakes are made, etc.

I hope that info helps, & we look forward to speaking with you!

Quick Reply: 99 4.6l .........