Mods requiring a custom chip...(Mike T)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2001, 08:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mods requiring a custom chip...(Mike T)

Mike, just wondering If you have a short list of mods that would require a custom chip so I know what things I can continue to change on my truck and still use the standard superchip without having to get a custom chip......

------------------

'97 F-150 XLT Supercab 4x4 ORP
Project "Hidden Horses"
4.6L v8 w/ auto & 3.55 rear end
Superchip!
AirForce 1 FIPK
Custom exhaust
Custom Graphics
Custom Hard Tonneau Cover
GTS Headlight Covers
Pioneer DEH-P7200 "Dolphin" Stereo

electric fan next.....

Old 03-13-2001, 02:02 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi PhoenixClaw,

Sure! We need to do custom programming in these late-model F-150's generally only when you do major mechanical mods, like superchargers, nitrous oxide, ported cylinder heads, camshaft changes, etc.

With regards to relatively simple bolt-ons, things like K&N air filters, airbox kits, exhaust system changes, etc., do not require custom programming in these F-150's.

If you change the mass airflow meter, you'll usually need a custom program to compensate for that as well, as they usually lean out the A/F mixture, and that needs to be corrected.

Installing headers doesn't usually *require* custom programming in the F-150's, but they can benefit from it, picking up a few more ponies, 3-5 more hp.

That's "the basics" for these F-150's, if you're contemplating other mods we haven't discussed here, just give us a shout and we'll be happy to let you know if whatever you're thinking of will require custom programming or not.

Good luck!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 03-13-2001).]

Quick Reply: Mods requiring a custom chip...(Mike T)