Hey Mike, I need low end torque !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 09:41 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey Mike, I need low end torque !!!

Hi Mike,

I have a '01' 4x4 w/ 4.6 with the following mods...

305R70-16 Tires (12" wide) "this is when I lost it the power"
4.10 gears ( should have gone 4.56 ) "better but not what i want"
flowmaster SI/DO exhaust
Gibson hearders
Troyer E-fans
Turbo City air intake
1715 programer
Troyer pullies ( not yet installed )
BBK 75mm throttle body

What I'm looking for is more low end torque, this truck as you know is a heavy pig. I'm looking for more pull from 1500 to 3000 rmps. Is Cams where to look for it ? Or exhaust work? I have a local exhaust shop that can do a X pipe ( won't touch the cats by law but I can get them to replace them also).

I will dump another $1000 into performance... before I buy a Mustang. What do you think ? Or should I just call you ?

Thanks

Craig

Old 08-22-2004, 06:48 PM
ok

not only are those tires tall- but heavy=rotating mass
4.56's would be best - but not cost efficent
1- pcm program by mike- highly recommend 9100 tuner-
2- magnaflow 15609 3" catback ss- adds tq
3-air intake other than turbo city- sucking hot air off motor-
i have the above exhaust and a mac air intake off my 03 f150- less than 8 months old- i live outside pittsburgh- will give a helluva deal on them-phil

Old 08-22-2004, 09:00 PM
A supercharger is the only thing that will satisfy you. The 4.6 just doesnt have TQ, its too small. Cams will raise your powerband, as will most heavy engine work.

Old 08-22-2004, 10:48 PM
true

and in the low end area- a roots style is the only choice

Old 08-23-2004, 02:55 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Craig,

Yes, by all means, please call us to go over this properly.

Your 4.10's aren't a "bad" choice for those tires, as they aren't quite 33" tall - so while the 4.56's would have helped more, your 4.10's aren't the end of the world - they can work just fine.

Most of this really isn't relevant to the Computer Chips section, but in a scenario with your mods & where more low-end torque is desired, there is one aspect here that is relevant - and that is, with all your mods, I strongly advise you to have us do a *custom* tune on that vehicle right now as your very first step. You'll get significantly more additional power gain, more torque *everywhere*, better performance and better fuel mileage as well, compared to what you're getting with the 1715 Micro Tuner - it will be well worth while.

The 1715 is fine for what it's intended for, don't get me wrong - but you're really beyond that with all the work that you have done & the kind of performance you need. I mean, you could continue to use the 1715, but compared to what you'll get from our custom tuning, I'd do the custom tune right now, as that *will* help your torque situation.

Having us do a custom tune and then getting those underdrive pulleys on *will* make a nice difference. Also, any time we have a vehicle (especially with an automatic transmission) that is using electric fans and underdrive pulleys, we also want to bump up the idle speed a bit in the PCM's program, so that you get adequate power steering assist with the bigger tires (like for parallel parking or any low-speed sharp turns, backing up, etc.), and so you get plenty of juice from the alternator in a scenario like sitting at a stoplight at night, in the summer - you'll be running *everything* on the vehicle in that situation, the e-fans, your A/C, the headlights, etc. - so ideally, you'd like to have more power available to everything, *including* the vehicle's ignition system. We take care of that too, in our custom tuning.

Let's talk by phone to go over all of this properly, get everything coordinated, go over exactly what you want to achieve & the best way to do that, etc.

Old 08-23-2004, 08:17 PM
Thanks Mike,

I will give you a call tomorrow.

Craig

Old 08-25-2004, 02:57 PM
Former Sponsor
You're very welcome Craig, & I look forward to going over this with you in proper detail when you get a chance to call.

Thanks for your post, & talk to you soon!

Trending Topics

Old 08-25-2004, 03:38 PM
Hey Mike. I think it's great you answer peoples questions on here. Even though you may feel it's redundant or off topic, you still answer and add a caveat to do a search or call you direct. Let me tell you, it's earning you customers. I have recommended your tuning on 2 other sites to many posters. I am planning on buying the SC6600 and though I can get it cheaper other places, I'm going to buy it from Troyer. From your posts, I can tell you know your stuff a couple of levels above the other guys on the trucks.

Old 08-27-2004, 09:24 PM
Mike, I faxed the forms back for the 9100 order, you had wrote you would adjust the idle for my tire size and UD pullies, I forgot to mention that on the form. Crystal took more mod info over the phone then was stated on the forms, should we talk one on one to make sure every thing is covered ?

Craig Repetski

Old 08-30-2004, 02:07 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Craig,

Not to worry, we've got your e-fan & underdrive pulleys noted, and the idle speed will be raised accordingly.

I took a look at your forms (you're down a ways in "the pile," so it'll be a few days before I actually get to your tunes), and found that your Page 2 didn't ask about underdrive pulleys - one of our machines had an older version of Page 2 that didn't have the underdrive pulleys listed on there, that's the one you got. So we're having one of our staff go thru the machines that email those file attachments out & make sure the current Page 2 for N/A motors will be used.

So no problem, we'll be taking care of your idle speed adjustment for the e-fans & underdrives!

Old 08-30-2004, 10:09 PM
No rush and as always thanks Mike.

Old 09-01-2004, 01:02 PM
Former Sponsor
You're very welcome, as always!

Old 09-09-2004, 08:17 PM
I got my 9100 today, I will have the under drive pullies installed by Monday, load in the 93 octane performance tune and report in after that.

Old 09-10-2004, 03:53 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Craig,

Glad to hear your custom-tuned 9100 has arrived, & one note of caution on the crankshaft underdrive pulley specifically - make sure you read the pulleys doc's carefully (if they are our pulleys), as you'll need to use the bolt supplied with the pulleys only to start the crank pulley - don't use it to fully tighten it down, as it's too long. Just make sure to use the bolt supplied just to *start* the crank pulley on, then remove it and re-use your original crank pulley bolt to actually tighten it down & seat the new crank pulley.

Good luck!

Old 09-13-2004, 10:51 PM
Hi Mike,

I got the pullys on and went right to the 93 max program, and I got to say : ) I can tell from the seat-of-the-pants meter a great improvement ! I do have a question... the shifts are not as firm as my 1715 (gator back belt no chirp), did I miss something when I loaded the tune ? Can I install a FactoryTech VB without having you have to reprogram ? I only got to drive it a 1/2 hour tonight and so far it great !!! Let me know about the shift firmness. It seems to me it is shifting a little higher rpm then my 1715 but not as hard.

Thanks,
Craig

Quick Reply: Hey Mike, I need low end torque !!!