Now im confused. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2001, 08:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Now im confused. Help!

Hi Guys. Now have 120 mi.(92oct) on superchip-flip chip that i installed on my : 99 SC 4X4 4.6L AT. with 3.73 axle ratio. 87oct./92 prem. Mods before chip: cat-back & KN dropin.

Engine power has increased and the trans. shifts better, at least for me, get more noticable revs. out of 3rd before it goes into OD. Power gradually coming in.

Confused? Saw a post where a guy (sorry-cant recall his name) lost power with the superchip, cleared his -pcm- seemed to perk up after that.

Useing 92oct. has anyone had a decrease in power. I wasnt aware this could happen. Hmmmmmmmm??

I believe Mike T. said just drive the truck harder to keep power gains up, hope i said that right?

Also post made: changing gears to 4;10 and have to reprogram superchip. Not sure if i gave my axle ratio when i ordered online. This may be a question for Mike T. Do i have a problem if i forgot to say 3:73 gears. Thanks mike.or ?

Thanks for any input. KEEP IT ON THE ROAD. BE FAST BUT SAFE. Old Timer.

Old 03-15-2001, 01:23 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Old-Timer,

What we were talking about was the fact that if you drive your vehicle very conservatively most of the time, you can see about a 2% power loss due to the adjustments made by Ford's "adaptive strategy", and it doesn't matter if you have the Superchip or not. It's very minor, but some guys will notice it. So sometimes what they'll do is a battery disconect and drain all residual voltage by turning the headlights on for 5 minutes after disconnecting the battery, then after 5 minutes turn the headlights back off and then re-connect the battery. Now of course their headlights won't actually come on, this is done just to put a big power demand on the sysem, so the residual power stored by IC's & capacitors is fully drained, so that the computer's memory is fully cleared. The adaptive strategy adjustments begin again from scratch, and that 2% power loss is no more, until the vehicle accumulates enough miles being driven conservatively again. These "adaptive strategy" adjustments are made on an on-going basis for the life of the vehicle.

You can do about the same basic thing just by giving it a few full-throttle bursts, so that's what we generally do.

With regards to telling us your rear axle gear ratio, we only need to know that if you have *changed* it from stock, otherwise that's already taken into consideration by virtue of what software revision is in your vehicle's computer, as a different gear ratio from the factory will mean you'll have a different computer code from an identical vehicle with a different gear ratio. So the only time we neeed to know about this is if you have had it *changed* from the original stock gear ratio it came from the factory with.

Have fun,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Quick Reply: Now im confused. Help!