tire size and Superchip

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2001, 02:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post tire size and Superchip

hey guys, still very satisfied with superchip. i just have one question, how much effect should i expect from switching from stock wheels and tires (235/70/16) to the Lariat wheels and tires (275/60/17)?

------------------
2000 EXPEDITION 4.6 3.31 Rear, AIRAID Fipk with Poweraid Spacer, UltraFlow muffler, 82 mm Mass Air Flow Sensor housing w/ stock sensor, 6.8 inch TV with tuner/VCP, Full alarm and Auto-Start, Daytime Running Lights

New Addition:

2001 F150 SUPERCAB 5.4L 3.55 LS, Airaid FIPK, 82 mm MAF sensor billet aluminum housing w/ stock sensor, Full alarm and auto-start, 50 series 3 chamber 3inch in/out Deltaflow Flowmaster
Swept Side style, Beltech 2 inch rear shackles, SUPERCHIP, billet grille, Lariat wheels and tires (275/60/17).

COMING SOON:
pulleys, remove cats, 2 inch drop all around.

Old 03-04-2001, 01:38 PM
JMC,

you are dead on. i was chirping tires all over the road especially hard acceleration in 2nd gear. now with better tires i can floor it and it hooks. no more chirping though. anyway, i thought maybe i have to get my chip reprogram. thanks.

------------------
2000 EXPEDITION 4.6 3.31 Rear, AIRAID Fipk with Poweraid Spacer, UltraFlow muffler, 82 mm Mass Air Flow Sensor housing w/ stock sensor, 6.8 inch TV with tuner/VCP, Full alarm and Auto-Start, Daytime Running Lights

New Addition:

2001 F150 SUPERCAB 5.4L 3.55 LS, Airaid FIPK, 82 mm MAF sensor billet aluminum housing w/ stock sensor, Full alarm and auto-start, 50 series 3 chamber 3inch in/out Deltaflow Flowmaster
Swept Side style, Beltech 2 inch rear shackles, SUPERCHIP, billet grille, Lariat wheels and tires (275/60/17).

COMING SOON:

Old 03-05-2001, 12:23 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Newbie46,

There should no be that much of a difference. You are going up about 1 inch in dia. You are getting a wider tire so it should hook better. Were you getting a lot of tire spin with the 235s? With the 275s this should be less of a problem.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd 3.55LSD
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks, MAC 8.8 Axle Girdle
BFG 285/75 R16 MTs,
Borla Cat Back, Headman Headers,
Custom air intake system with modified
air box, Ported Throttle body,
Shortened MAF sensor tower,
K&N air filter,
Superchips

Old 03-20-2001, 06:40 PM
Newbie,
If you are still around on this topic. I am here in Gilbert, Az and saw that you have the same computer code, superchips, that I have on my 01 F150. I also saw where you had posted asking about the Diablo chip. If you dont mind, why did you decide on the superchips? You also said that the Diablo was available locally? where would that be here in the Valley? thanks for the info!
jbirddog@qwest.net
Jason

Old 03-21-2001, 02:06 AM
hey elktagaz, i am still around. yes, both Superchips and Diablo are available locally in the chandler area. i decided to get Superchip because i was fortunate enough to try both. I work at a local Ford dealer "#1 in the world" and I tried both and guess what? the Superchip is evidently better (my own opinion ofcourse). besides, I get better support from Superchips (Mike Troyer) The shifts ARE better and the power is there at any throttle position especially WOT. anyway, you can't go wrong with superchips. how's yours performing? have you tried racing your truck at Firebird?

------------------

New Addition:

Swept Side style, Beltech 2 inch rear shackles, SUPERCHIP, billet grille, Lariat wheels and tires (275/60/17), Billet antenna by TRENDZ.

COMING SOON:

Old 03-21-2001, 09:25 AM
Newbie46,
Thanks for responding, that helps a lot! Excellent I found someone that tried both chips! Your opinion means a lot and helps me make up my mind. My performance? My truck is too heavy for me to think about it.. haha, But next time you head out to firebird if you dont mind I would like to check it out!
I bought my truck at the Ray Rd local..
Thanks for the info!
jbirddog@qwest.net

------------------
J
Old: '97 f150 XL SC 4x4
NEW: 2001 F-150 XLT SC Flare 5.4L ORP 4X4
Az Beige
so far:
Westin Black Nerfs
Ravin Z-33 SI/DO
Aerovisors-off road
Bugflector II
AF-1
Duraliner(FORD)

Old 03-22-2001, 12:51 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Newbie46,

The effect of going with taller tires is several-fold; you are numerically lowering your effective gear ratio, giving you in effect a "taller" gear ratio so you get less torque multiplication, which reduces your rate of acceleration; and, the engine is now turning fewer rpms than it was before, so you're going to have a little bit less power on tap as a result, but it's a relatively small difference in your case. In addition, your speedometer is also off a little bit.

Now, what does all this mean, and do you have to do anything about it?

From a performance standpoint, you are taking a bit of a hit in performance, as it will not accelerate quite as quickly with taller tires. Since the difference in height is apparently only about 1 inch or so, it's not going to be a big difference, and you can probably live with it quite easily. It's generally when you go beyond about a 32" tire that you need to do a gear ratio change to get the engine back up to turning the rpms it was before and what it needs to so it can stay in Overdrive when cruising.

So for your situation, your potential concern might be just the fact that your speedometer is a little bit off. If you can live with that, then you don't need to do anything. If you want that corrected, we can do a custom program to recalibrate the speedometer in a number of these codes for these F-150's, so just get in touch with us for those details.

Most people in a similar situation, where they have changed tire height by only 1 inch, usually don't do anything at all, but this is up to you.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Quick Reply: tire size and Superchip