Premuim Gas NOT used

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2001, 10:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Premuim Gas NOT used

(I'll probably get kicked out of the "Type-A, over-testoseroned, macho male Club" for posting this).
What happens if, say...hypothetically, Premium was not poured into my gas tank while having the SuperChip installed?
My...ahem...girlfriend is currently driving my truck (relax fella's, she has a very short commute) and she needed to fill up. I had told her previously to ONLY use premium.
On a casual coversation, she pointed out "That's where I got gas, great price at $1.19".
Those little hairs stood up on the back of my neck and I calmy asked: did you fill the truck up there? Answer: oh sure.

Long story short: 87octane instead of 93octane. What will this do to my SuperChip'd truck?

------------------
'99 Ford F-150 Lariat, 4WD, SCab, ORP, LS/3.73, Tow Pkg, 5.4L
* Superchip
* K&N FIPK GEN II
'99 Chrysler 300M, PHP, Sunroof, Premium Infinity, 3.5L
* Borla Cat-Bak
* K&N Filtercharger
www.atlantagamerz.com
www.f150online.com
www.300mclub.org

Old 03-21-2001, 11:56 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Murfster,

First, relax, it'll be OK. And you won't be kicked out of the Type A club, but that was funny!

The prudent thing to do would be to remove the Superchip until you run that tank of regular gas down at least until the low fuel light comes on, then fill it up with premium and put the Superchip back in.

One thing you do not want to do is to run only part of the tank of regular gas out, and then "top off" with premium in an effort to raise the octane, that's a waste of time & money. Just run that regular gas out.

What most people end up doing in reality is to just leave the Superchip in, and listen very carefully for any sounds of detonation (spark knock, "pinging"). If heard, then they'll pull the Superchip out until they run that tank out and can get premium back in it. Some people can get away with that, and some can't, as there are substantial variances in the compensation range of the knock sensor systems from one vehicle to the next.

The prudent thing to do would be to just remove it right now, whether you hear any detonation or not. You may not want to hear that, as it means going back to less power & mushy shifts, but that's only for a very short period of time.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 03-21-2001).]

Old 03-21-2001, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Thanks Mike! Glad you mentioned to remove and replace. That's what I'm going to do. I even went one further...I removed her from driving the truck and placed her back in her Jeep GC.

Thanks again Mike (all I keep hearing over and over is: "but BP has premium, that's what I thought you meant..."...blondes...harumph!)

------------------
'99 Ford F-150 Lariat, 4WD, SCab, ORP, LS/3.73, Tow Pkg, 5.4L
* Superchip
* K&N FIPK GEN II
'99 Chrysler 300M, PHP, Sunroof, Premium Infinity, 3.5L
* Borla Cat-Bak
* K&N Filtercharger
www.atlantagamerz.com
www.f150online.com
www.300mclub.org

Quick Reply: Premuim Gas NOT used