Superchip Corrects for 4.10's!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2001, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Superchip Corrects for 4.10's!

Well, I finally got my Superchip flipchip installed. Was pretty straightforward except for the removal of the air supension switch to get at the computer - major pain.

I took the truck out today for a first cruise - the transmission is definitely shifting better and (yeehaw) the speedo is reading right for the first time in months.

At least, it appears to be based on the Assometer and my calculations of where the revs should be at 60 mph. Actual verification will have to wait until I can cruise through a calibration area just outside town.

I am running on the 87 octane setting since The Boss just filled the truck up with regular. Now I have to wait till next fill up to try the 93 Octane setting.

BTW, the Odometer shows all dashes if you don't clean the contacts well enough; first clue there is a problem. Don't ask how I know this.

Thanks, Mike T.

Ian

------------------
99 Expedition EB
5.4l, 4x4, 4.10'S
WMS Tube, Bassani Cat Back Exhaust.
Superchip Flipchip on Order

Old 03-19-2001, 08:22 PM
Congrats,Ian
I just got my newest Superchip and my speedo is now correct.I was waiting for a year and everything is finally correct.
Thanks Mike for your many attempts and for not giving up.

------------------

*WE WANT TO RACE THE TRUCK....PEOPLE LOVE THE TRUCK*

99 F 150 4x4.ORP,S/B 4.6 4.10 gears, Gibson 3" cat back. K&N filter. Superchip

Other Toy: 1964 Falcon, 300 H.P. 306,(soon to be 347)TopLoader 4 spd. 9"Detriot Locker rear end with 3.91's

Old 03-20-2001, 02:10 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Ian,

Thanks for your post!

As we've mentioned here from time to time, this whole issue of recalibrating the speedometers for gear ratio and tire size changes is something that the entire industry, from the automakers themselves to the those of us in the aftermarket, are way behind on. Superchips has been working just as hard, fast & furious as they can to get that R&D done, one vehicle at a time since we're "code-specifc" instead of "generic" programmers, as they come into the development facilty needing that kind of work done. And over the past year or so, we've made some great progress there to determine what Ford did to change all that in many of these different software revisions in these Ford trucks, and how to give vehicle owners the ability to have a corrected speedometer. We don't have them all done of course, but we're getting more and more all the time.

I'm glad it's working for you, & enjoy your Superchip, Ian!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

[This message has been edited by Superchips_Distributor (edited 03-21-2001).]

Old 03-20-2001, 02:18 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Pete (jarrett),

Thanks for the call, we finally got the speedo corrections for your code done, after all this time!

For anyone reading this post, Pete came to us about a year ago asking for this speedo correction, which we had been able to do on most of the codes at that time, and we told him that yes, we felt we could do it. Wrong. We didn't know it until we tried it on his then-new code, but Ford drastically changed the way that is done in all the various different software revisions in the newer vehicles, including Pete's, so it took us awhile to be able to get this done correctly for him.

I dare say we're both pretty happy now, given all the iterations we've been thru on yours, as yours was the first vehicle we had that issue on, and was the last of the 4 we had waiting to have that done on their codes to get it taken care of correctly.

We now have much better capabilities to do these speedometer corrections for gear ratio & tire size changes in more & more different vehicle types after this past year of R&D on it, and this will only get better over time, we suspect, until the *next* change Ford makes, at which point it will be "same as it ever was", to quote the Talking Heads.

Thanks for your call Pete, it was one of the calls we've been looking forward to the most, as you might imagine.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 03-21-2001, 01:52 AM
Ian, Your post made me feel a lot better. Mike T is also working on a flip chip for me. I have 4.10 gears with 33's. My speedo is way off. It drives me nutts. Anyway, glad to hear it worked out for you. I hope it goes well for me to. Mike told me I have a rare code(NWB2). Hopefully it wont take a year to fix. If it does, then O well. I have to do it. I can't go on like this I just got my checklist sheet today from Mike T. So I am on my way to having my speedo back to normal. I have a question for you. When I put my gears in my shift points were way to low. I need it to shift at a higher rpm. I can't get the full advantage of them untill I get my flip chip. Mike T told me they will fix this for me. Did the shift points go up for you? Did they go up to high? Or maybe not enough? Or are they right on the money? I can't wait to see how my truck reacts when it shifts right. Thanks in advance.

------------------
Go Arizona Wildcats!
March Maddness update;
Sweet Sixteen Baby!!!!

2000 F-150 2wd sport 4.2 V6
XLT, Ext cab, auto transmission

(Performance)
JBA Headers:Jacobs Ignition:K&N:Superchip
Throttle body spacer: Cat back exaust
4.10 gears (had 3.55)

(Appearance)
Custom Seat Covers: Dash Mat
Floor Mats: Cd player: Pioneer Speakers
Rockford Amp: Truck box: Rhino Liner
Grill Guard: Nerf Bars: Fender flares
Custom graphics: Tail light covers
Vent Visors: Driving Lights
Tinted windows
3 inch spindle lift: 3 inch body lift: lift lips
33/12.5/17 Procomp A/T

[This message has been edited by TucsonTruck (edited 03-21-2001).]

Old 03-21-2001, 02:01 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi TucsonTruck,

I know you posted to Ian, but I thought I'd comment just a bit on this for you, if you don't mind..........

When your speedometer is off, not always, but sometimes the shift points will be off as well, it just depends on how far from stock it is, basically.

The ECU gets it's basic data regarding the vehicle's speed from the VSS (vehicle speed sensor) system, but the ECU also looks at numerous other data streams to verify the VSS data, such as engine rpms, output shaft speed, etc. If all of that agrees, then the ECU uses vehicle speed to determine it's shift points.

However, if there is a conflict in these data streams, and they do not agree with the VSS data (like when the speedometer is off), then the ECU will use engine rpms for it's shift points instead of vehicle speed, and that's when things can get off if the speedometer error is significant. Sometimes it's close enough so that it's not a problem or a source of aggravation; in your case, it sounds like it's a problem, and we understand, of course.

Once the speedometer is recalibrated and it's accuracy has been restored, your shift points will usually fall right back in line automatically, as there is no more conflict or error with the VSS, so it uses vehicle speed once again to determine shift points, and that usually takes care of the shift points.

Every once in a great while we'll find that we need to do some further "fine-tuning" of the shift points, and if so, that too can be done. But usually just restoring speedo accuracy takes care of this.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 03-21-2001, 10:43 PM
Hi TucsonTruck;

Yes, my shift points were off. Basically the truck shifted at exactly the same indicated speed as before, so in effect it was shifting about 15% lower than it should have. The end result was that I only really felt a big difference at highway speed, where the truck was much happier with the 4.10's.

Now that I am using the corrected speedo, it is shifting where it should and the effect of the 4.10's is much more noticable. I am very happy with the result. I also noticed a big improvement in shift feel.

And I still haven't tried out the 92 octane setting

Be patient, you will like the results.

Ian

------------------
99 Expedition EB
5.4l, 4x4, 4.10'S
WMS Tube, Bassani Cat Back Exhaust, Superchip Flipchip

Quick Reply: Superchip Corrects for 4.10's!