Long-term effect of Superchip

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2001, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Long-term effect of Superchip

There are many posts in the Computer Chips forum about the short-term effects of the Superchip. It is very exciting to hear how many happy F-150 owners installed this wonderful product, but I haven't seen any posts regarding the long-term effects of using it.

I understand that "long term," in vehicle-speak, is strictly a function of how one drives and maintains the vehicle and the initial quality of the build. I am a pretty conservative driver by nature, and I am very **** about maintenance, but I still want the benefits of the Superchip.

While I most certainly want to hear from Mike on this one, I will value a customer's perspective even more. What are your thoughts, experiences, and hear-say on the long-term effects of the Superchip?

------------------
2000 XLT 4x4 ORP, Reg. Cab, 5.4L, 3.55 rear, Med. Toreador Red Metallic
Westin Brushguard
KC Hiliters
Snuglid

Possible Future Mods
Superchip
Gibson Swept Side SS Si/So

[This message has been edited by Roach (edited 03-06-2001).]

Old 03-06-2001, 04:28 PM
Well, the first long term effect that I can think of is positive. The chip removes a lot of the slippage in the clutch packs of your tranny, thus giving you the firmer shifts. Less slippage on that friction material means less wear and longer life. That's a big + in my book, seeing my last Bronco is still going at 353k on the original motor and tranny. Granted it's a 351 with a C6, but that is a lot of miles for never needing an overhaul.

------------------
Boss™

Ordered June 29th, 2000; took delivery Nov. 28th: 2001 F-150 Lariat, Oxford White/Silver Supercab 4x4, Styleside, 5.4L, 7700# payload, Class III Tow, 3.73LS, Skids, Leather Captains, 4W disc ABS, shift-on-fly, keyless.Engine build date: 10-25-00
Modifications:
"Protected by the Owner with his 2 friends, Smith & Wesson" sticker, Westin Chromed Stainless Nerf Bars, ARE LS II bed cover, Bedrug™, Gibson Swept Side Cat Back, K&N filter w/airbox mods, Hyper-White headlight & foglight bulbs, Pioneer DEH-8200R, Ventshades(not on back doors), Hood deflector, Superchip.
Future Modifications3" body lift with at least 33's, alarm/pager/auto start system, stereo system

Old 03-07-2001, 02:11 PM
Thanks, Boss96Hog. I assume your Bronco is chipped, right?

I'm still very interested in hearing from other members regarding long-term application of the Superchip, and input from Mike is always welcome.

Thanks, again, Boss.

------------------
2000 XLT 4x4 ORP, Reg. Cab, 5.4L, 3.55 Rear
Medium Toreador Red Metallic

Westin Brushguard
KC Hiliters
Snuglid

Possible Future Mods
Superchip
Gibson Swept Side SS Si/So

Old 03-07-2001, 03:10 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Roach,

That's a perfectly natural question, and even more natural to want to hear directly from the people who are actually using it in their vehicles. Since you would like some input from us, here goes..........

What we've found for vehicles with automatic transmissions, the net long-term effect is just to extend the service life of the friction materials inside the automatic transmissions, which are of course the bands & clutches. Thanks to the reduced slippage, they quite naturally last longer. In manual-transmission vehicles, we see no basic "affects" from long-term usage.

With regards to any long-term effects on the engine, there really aren't any downsides or negative impacts mechanically. In these gas-motored F-150's, the power gain from the Superchip is about 10%-12%, which is nowhere near enough additional power to put any components at risk of being pushed beyond their design limits. So we do not see any reduction in basic engine service life, or the service life of any other component of the vehicle.

Over the years, what we've observed is that what matters far more than an engine's potential peak power output when pushed to the limit, is how the vehicle is actually operated and maintained. In other words, even a stock vehicle can be damaged and wear our prematurely if driven like it's hated, or like a race car most of the time.

What the Superchip is actually doing can be stated as a "conversion process", if you like; meaning, we've converted the engine's tuning from being tuned by the factory for the use of 85-87 octane, to being tuned specifically for the use of premium gas. Both timing and fueling are fully optimized for most efficient operation on premium gasoline, and that process has no inherent risks for shortening the lifespan of your powertrain. Remember, FoMoCo themselves tunes a number of their vehicles with these same engines (in other bodys) for the use of premium gasoline, so there's nothing really new or unknown here, we're now just applying those same tuning calibrations to the F-150.

I don't know if that gives you the information you're actually looking for, but I think that's the best way to express what we've seen as the long-term effects of using the Superchip, we do not see any reduction in service life, or any negative impact.

We have F-150 owners who install Superchips in their vehicels that have 120,000 miles on them already, we have customers who install their Superchips before their brand new vehicles have 50 miles on them, and everything in between. We have Superchip owners who have been using them for 150,000 miles, 200,000 miles and more in these F-150's, and in Powerstroke diesels, we have customers with over 300,000 miles on them with the Superchip.

Now of course most of what we see here on F-150 Online are the late-model trucks, so we're often talking about newer vehicles here, but our customers have them in every model year made.

I hope this helps a bit,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 03-07-2001, 04:44 PM
Hey Mike that was well said. I kind of had that same question in my mind but haven't asked it yet. Im going to have to wait 2 years though as my truck is a lease (only way I could get it, denied fincing do to age 19). I am going to buy out truck no question asked. Once its mine the chip is going in

------------------
2001 F-150 5.4L trition,
Regular cab with 8' bed
XLT with Black Clearcoat
4x4 3.55 limited slip
factory cab steps
class III tow package
Factory ordered: 12/5
recieved: 2/22

Old 03-07-2001, 07:07 PM
DaveH, why wait?
Mike, I remember a post long long ago. You were talking about the long term effects with the superchips. I thought the post was saying, since the chip does make the engine work harder, if your engine would last 150k miles w/o the chip, with the chip the engine would last 1500 miles less. I know the numbers were not right but I thought I saw something like this posted before? thanks!

Old 03-07-2001, 08:19 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

Almost 3 years of hard Superchip driving and still going strong! The Expedition has about 53,000 miles and purrs like a kitten. Never babied, always maintained.

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/Ravin DI/DO, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, 2000 F150 "XLT" wheels, 4.10 gears, Auburn LS, Clarion In-dash CD player, Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars.

2000 4x4 F250 SD XLT SuperCab SWB- 6.8L, Offroad Pkg, Camper Pkg, 4.30LS, Tape & CD player, Remote Keyless Entry, Sliding back glass, tinted windows, 265/75R16 OWL tires, Smittybilt nerf bars & Line-X bedliner.

NoMo's site

Trending Topics

Old 03-08-2001, 08:47 AM
Exclamation

Thanks, guys.

As always, I can count on excellent and valuable information from the members here and top-quality input from Mike Troyer.

Old 03-08-2001, 02:28 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi ELKTAGAZ,

You've got a good memory, I know exactly what we were talking about way back then, and this is what it was...........

We were talking about long-term effects, and what I said was that we do have some applications, only in a couple of our high-powered turbocharged "supercar" applications, where we make much larger power gains than we can make on normally-aspirated engines. In the application we were talking about, which was the 300ZX Twin-Turbo, in our highest power-output program for that vehicle (+65-80 hp), if driven hard most the time, we could expect to see a decrease in engine life of about 5%, or if you would normally get 150,000 miles, then you would expect to get 142,500 miles instead. In that application, we're talking about a vehicle quite different from these Fords of course, with a highly-stressed high-boost turbocharged engine, that was designed for lower boost levels, so in other words, it's just about a worst-case scenario basically, which is exactly why I used it for an example in that discussion.

This only happens in either turbocharged or supercharged applications, and even then only when running boost levels significantly above that which the motor was originally designed to withstand, say, a 50% increase in boost or more.

In normally aspirated engines, this is never a concern, as the power gain isn't large enough to cause any decrease in engine life, as it's only 10%-12% more power.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System

Old 03-08-2001, 04:31 PM
It seems to me that unless you are making way too much horsepower over and above design then increasing your engines horsepower and torque would actually decrease the load on the engine resulting in longer life. Don't believe me? Get yourself a Yugo and tow tracters around a day or two. :-)

Old 03-08-2001, 04:51 PM
Mike you rule.
Thank you for clearing that all up for me. I had a chip in my '97 4.6L and am just trying to save a bit o money for the new one. thanks!

------------------
J
Old: '97 f150 XL SC 4x4
NEW: 2001 F-150 XLT SC Flare 5.4L ORP 4X4
Az Beige
so far:
Westin Black Nerfs
Ravin Z-33 SI/DO
Aerovisors-off road
Bugflector II
AF-1
Duraliner(FORD)

Old 03-09-2001, 01:32 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Bill,

As usual, you make an excellent point. Unless you're pushing the motor beyond it's design limitations, the fact that it has more overall power available will allow it to not have to "work" as hard to provide the needed thrust for a given situation. You don't need to use as much throttle opening, therefore the motor isn't actually "working" harder. Now some will argue against that, saying that if the motor is making more power, it's *already* working harder, and to a certain extent that is true, but again, it's a matter of whether or not the basic design limitations are substantially exceeded and how the vehicle is actually operated and maintained that determines basic service life in our experience.

It's amazing how far some engines can be pushed with proper operation, maintaining the basic rpm design operating range and proper service. We've seen engines peak power output increased by 35%-50% in some cases with no lessening of effective service life, it just depends on how much "over-engineering" factor is built into the motor to begin with. Meaning, if you take the stock 4.2 V-6's power rating of 205 hp as in your vehicle Bill, that engine is not so fragile that it can't ever make more than it's stock power wthout compromising it's service life, it's simply the level of tune that the automaker chose to send it out with.

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 03-09-2001, 03:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

12,000 miles with my Superchip installed,it's only been out twice for dealer svc. No problems

Mike,I think it's time to come clean about the increased brake wear caused by the Superchip!! LOL ,,,,,,98

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
Yokahama AVS/ST's
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Clear front corners
Stillen Quad light air dam,Sweet!!
Euro taillights
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
[b]Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
Viper alarm
On the way/wheels,tires, etc..etc.......
the monochromatic boogie is done,cool!.
Come see my new pictures@ www.my-f150.com

officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!

Old 03-11-2001, 05:32 PM
Former Sponsor
Hi Screamer,

We've been able to keep that dirty little secret all these years, until you let the cat out of the bag!

Now we're going to have to admit to the potential of increased brake pad wear, oh no, what will we do?!?

Have fun, & thanks for the funny post!

------------------
Mike Troyer
(540) 862-9515

Old 03-11-2001, 05:39 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

Now that you mention it...

I changed brake pads on the Expedition yesterday. Only 53,000 miles with some off-roading & towing?? I think Mike owes me some money!

Actually, there was some pad left, but they had "glazed" over.

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/Ravin DI/DO, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, 2000 F150 "XLT" wheels, 4.10 gears, Auburn LS, Clarion In-dash CD player, Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars.

2000 4x4 F250 SD XLT SuperCab SWB- 6.8L, Offroad Pkg, Camper Pkg, 4.30LS, Tape & CD player, Remote Keyless Entry, Sliding back glass, tinted windows, 265/75R16 OWL tires, Smittybilt nerf bars & Line-X bedliner.

NoMo's site

Quick Reply: Long-term effect of Superchip