Hey Mike, I wanna bug you!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2001, 11:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Hey Mike, I wanna bug you!

I am not as familiar with all the different chips and things out there as I could be. So I need help?!? I have been interested in the Hyper Tech Powere Programmer (when they become available) because of the ability to go from a normal 87 octane daily driver to the 93 octane for perfomance, and at the same time be able to optimize the truck for towing. I pull trailers quite a bit, and need the added torque and horsepower for that, but I mainly use the truck for business travel. I just havn't been able to see where it is feasable for me to buy the chip and run 93 octane and waste money. Where as the programmer gives me that flexibility to do all the things I want. I am asking you b/c you're the professional, and you have the expertise and knowk=ledge that I don't have. What would you do or suggest for me to do?

Thanks-- Adam

------------------
2001 SCrew Lariat
AZ Beige/DW Blue
5.4L, AirRaid Intake, K&N Filter, Ravin Z-33 Exhaust SI/DO, Power Moon Roof, Westin Stainless Nerf Bars, Vent Visors And Bug Deflector, Custom Tinted Windows, Upgraded Audio System, Custom Hitch-Haul Receiver System

Coming!!
HyperTech Power Programmer (when available)
PowerAid Spacer
Rims & Tires
Air Dam Replacement W/ Driving Lights

Old 03-22-2001, 08:46 AM
Exclamation

Hey Adamski, this is a little off topic but I noticed that you wanted the poweraid spacer. This is just my opinion but if you look through some of the old posts you will find it is worthless. Most people including me see it is a 100$ paperweight that did nothing for my truck but make it whistle like tea kettle. As far as performance goes, I did not notice anything except for that god awful annoying noise it made. If you like here is the # for Airaid ( the people that make it} 1-800-498-6951 and they will openly admit that that product whales like a banshee at lower RPM's. Of course this is what is designed to do!! I am only trying to pass on this advice because I do not like to see people get burned. I was also lucky enough to return mine to truckperformance.com under 30 days and did not lose anything (was almost 100$) and now I can spend it on better things like a superchip.. However, if you want to order it, first try Roger here in the online store and ask if they will honor a 30 day return policy, if not Airiad will directly. I hope this advice helps you out!

Murray........

------------------
My Truck:
2000 Flareside EC/SB 4.6 4X2-Harvest Gold
Sliding rear window
Class III Towing Package
Ford Bedliner
Modifacations
Airaid FIPK/w K&N filter
Gibson Exhaust-duals/w tips
Superchip
Factory bedliner
Westin nerf bars-PowderBlk
Lund vent shades, bug shield
V-Tech tail light covers (painted to match)
Mirror Covers (painted to match)
Factory street flares (painted to match)
Factory grill w/honeycomb insert
Clear Corners
Tinted Windows

Future Mods/Wish List
Some kind of aftermarket rims
Leer Snug lid
See my Truck: http://www.f150world.com/trippn/

Old 03-22-2001, 11:26 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Adam,

You're in luck, yes, we have an excellent solution for what exactly what you want to do. It's available right now (it's been around for years, actually), and that is our 2-program Superchip Flip Chip.

There are a good number of other F-150 owners here running this 2-program Flip Chip here, and the way we have them set up is with a pair of programs that offer you one for use with regular gasoline, and the other for use with premium gasoline. And, it's much faster & more convenient to switch between programs, you just flip the attached switch!

This will allow you to do exactly what you described, and still have the benefits of Superchip programming instead of Hypertech, so that your programs will add power all the time at any throttle position, and are made specifically for your individual vehicle. Whereas with the Hypertech, that will only add power at wide-open throttle and is made "generically", compromised to work on all similar vehicles.

The way we set these program combinations up is so that both programs are virtually identical, they both have all our improvements to driveability, automatic transmission shifting, etc., the only difference is that on Side 1 the engine is tuned for 87 octane, and on Side 2, it's tuned for 92+ octane. The power gains when running on the regular gas program are going to be small, only 3-5 hp or so. However, thanks to the combination of the small gain and the improvements made in other areas of the program, the vehicle will still be more responsive compared to stock even when running on regular gas.

Then in Side 2, it's the same performance program that requires premium gas, which is the same program you would get in the single-program Superchip, for when you want maximum power.

That way, you'll have optimal tuning for either type of fuel, and accomplish exactly what you wanted to do.

Just give us a call or shoot us an email, and we'll be happy to go over all the details with you!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 03-22-2001, 01:48 PM
Trippn--
Thanks for the heads up. I was unaware of the whistling. That'll certainly change someones mind.

Mike-
I know about the flip chip. I have seen alot of people here on the board that have them. My question is with the 87 octane, how will it benefit my towing ability? Like I had said, the high performance aspect doesn't really make a difference to me since this is a daily driver. Also, when you say flip the switch, you mean physically flip the chip, right? Then that includes having to dismantle part of the truck to get to the chip itself. Am I correct?

Old 03-22-2001, 01:56 PM
Smile

I am glad I could give ya a heads up, wish I had read some of those posts before I bought it!

Murray.....

Old 03-22-2001, 09:13 PM
Talking

Hi Adamski:

Recently installed "superchip-flip chip" on my 99 SC 4X4 AT. 4.6L 3.73 gears.

You may have already got answer, but on the flip chip it comes with the switch & about 2plus ft. of wire already attached. I mounted the switch under the glove box in one of the holes already there. Of course there are others options, that just worked for me.

Then just flip the switch #1-87oct. or #2-92oct. Superchips marks the switch 1 & 2.
I go ahead and do the battery disconnect, lights on approx. 5 min, reconnect, then im off. You dont have to do this, but it apparently clears the PCM, and allows the new chip program to load up faster. Mike T. says it best. However other guys here do an excellent job on their replys. Lots of good posts on this site.

Im not driving much right now, about 180mi. so far on 92 oct. and this 4.6L has perked up.

Solo about 90% of time, the other towing my TT.I dont need the 92oct. all the time. Havent towed TT since chip install but the way the performance has picked up, think it might be that little bit extra i was looking for. I opted for the flip-chip, rather just flip the switch, then crawl under dash and pull the chip out, but of course thats just for my personal convenience, of course you pay for it. HA

AS mike said, there are some gains useing the 87 oct. The AT shifts are better and ill be paying more attention when i go back to 87oct. But 92oct. for the max. gains & towing.

Good luck. OT

Old 03-23-2001, 04:03 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi adamski,

No, you don't have to remove or flip anything. All you do is flip the attached switch!

The only thing in that regular gas program that helps when towing is the reduced automatic transmission slippage, which will extend the service life of your bands & clutches, which are your primary friction materials inside any automatic transmission. But the engine being tuned for 87 octane isn't going to help you tow, as there is little power gain, just 3-5 hp at best, so perhaps you have a misunderstanding?

It's the performance program for premium gas that's going to help when you're towing, from the increase in engine power. Just because we call it a "performace" program doesn't mean that you don't have to drive it like some race car to benefit from having more torque available, that's a very basic need for just about any vehicle, and helps any towing application. It's not like it's something that is set up for racing, I think you have a mistaken impression, all daily drivers will benefit from this. Let's not forget that it's a program made specifically for these types of vehicles, and towing is a very common job for these vehicles.

If you'd liket o go over this more in detail, please feel free to give us a shout.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Quick Reply: Hey Mike, I wanna bug you!