Be Careful of Superchips, dyno results actuals

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2001, 01:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I got an honest 4 tenths of a second off of my 1/4 mile time plus better shifting. My truck already runs 93 octane. It's hard to believe trucks that are calibrated to run 87 octane don't get a kick in the pants from a setup calibrated to run 93 octane.

A guy I work with is running a Superchip in his 97 Ext. Cab 4.6 and he can tell a big difference.

------------------
Later,
Chuck
Black 00
Chuck's Lightning Page

Old 01-02-2001, 07:18 AM
Okay I'm curious. Dan, where did you get your throttle body ported? and for $3 buck and what kind of hp are you talking?

------------------
99' Ford F150 XL Sport
(Black) V-6 3.55 manual
Mods:
Airaid, Bosch +4 Plat.
Dynomax Ultraflow SI/DO
Color Keyed Carpet
AVS Headlight covers
AVS Bugdeflector II
Lund Wiper Cowl
Lund Tinted Glass
Lund Soft Bed Cover
V-tech Taillight covers

Old 01-02-2001, 04:15 PM
Unhappy

Dan,

Sorry you didn't see or perceive any gains from your Superchip. Even though I have not put my ride on a dyno, I know the chip has increased my performance drastically. My chip is back with Mike now getting a reprogram to eliminate pinging which is a common problem with vehicles with my computer code. I don't even like to drive the truck without the chip. My 72 year old father liked my gains so much he put one in his Crown Vic. He loves his too. Mike is a great guy and very helpful. I have never read or seen him pressure anyone into anything or say anything negative. Anyone can buy his product or choose not to. You didn't like the product, you told us so, now let it rest!

WarEagle

------------------
98 F150 Lariat extended cab, Pacific Green/Silver Frost,
Grey Leather Capt chairs, AM/FM/Cass/6-cd changer,
full tint, color matched bug deflector, vent shades,
A.R.E. hard bed cover, Ultra type 50 polished wheels,
BF Goodrich 315 55R x 16 Sport Truck Radial T/As, 4.6L,
AT, Towing Package, Airaid, Superchip, Flowmaster dual
exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series muffler, 3.55 gears

Old 01-03-2001, 03:03 AM
I ported the throttle body myself with a dremmel. The $3 was the cost of course sanding bits wore out. The stock throttle body is not bored all the way through. It is only 67 mm on the air filter side of the throttle plate where there is a rough cast area. Just remove the throttle body and start grinding the rough cast area until it is 70-71mm. I would recommend using a die grinder or high speed drill with a milling bit. Using a dremmel will take about an hour and a half, the others should be much quicker. As for Hp, I'm guessing about one. This was the only modification that I did not dyno test.

For any interested in putting on a 75mm throttle body, porting the intake manifold opening should be done to get the full effect, since the stock opening is only 71mm where the throttle body bolts to it. In either case the piece should be removed to port, and cleaned thoroughly before reinstallation. A little metal or grit left inside can cause engine damage. Good luck.
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by The_Headless_Horseman:
Okay I'm curious. Dan, where did you get your throttle body ported? and for $3 buck and what kind of hp are you talking?
</font>

Old 01-03-2001, 03:43 AM
The wastegate is computer controlled. Pulley changes will change how quickly the boost rises. The wastegate controls how high the boost is allowed to go.

On the diesels, Ford purposely backs off the power in first and I think second, so there is even more easy Hp gains available there, plus the added boost. I would definitely chip these. Does anyone have problems with the transmissions on these? I think that is the reason for limiting stock Hp. Just curious.

As for performance guarantees, in the past, there were many more variables, mainly carburetors, but also other stuff as well. On a stock sequentially injected vehicle(all 96 and newer), there is much less variance between stock vehicles. Of course, one engine will be slightly stronger, but the larger difference between stock vehicles would be the programmed calibration. So regardless of which performance product is sold, they can tell you with good accuracy how much Hp and torque is gained on a stock vehicle. The chip makers should test a number calibrations that have significant calibration differences and give a range of expected results. I know that's asking a lot out of a marketing department, but it's honest. Companies that just make up numbers or do not tell what other modifications were made to get their results are dishonest. For the most part, we are talking about a stock engine and intake without headers. The fuel injection will tightly control its operation. So why shouldn't performance be guaranteed on stuff other than exhaust mods? Or at least mention what else was done to get those results, like was it supercharged? Pipe dreamin' I guess.

The chips are supposed to replace some of the look up tables for each calibration. So do many calibrations get an increase in performance, evidently so. Mine did not.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by BROTHERDAVE:
someone correct me if i am wrong but the only way to increase boost on a lightning or any supercharger is thru pulley changes. as for a powerstoke it think the only way to increase boost is thru messing with the waste gate, does the computer control this? i think most of what a chip does is change intial and total timiing as well as change the timing curve and of coarse the transmission shift points.
one last thing, no one from any other performance product post or answers questions on this board,( i am sure there is and someone will correct me) at the very least give mike t. a little credit for jumping right in the middle of the fire and leaving himself wide open. i have been hotrodding cars since, 1984 when it comes to aftermarket performance parts there are no guarantees on performance.
</font>

Old 01-03-2001, 08:45 AM
DanKryszczuk:

BRAVO...BRAVO!!!

What? Question the authorities...The rule??? The majority??

WOW!! Someone else finally has some ***** in here besides me!

DanKryszczuk, you may be right, you may be wrong, but you have at least made some people ponder!

Personally, I think you have some VERY valid questions.

I wonder if people THINK this 10 HP increase feels like 28 HP? THe chip feels like a really nice tune-up!

I'll bet a $100 dollars that the increased shift firmness accounts for 75% of the 1/4 mile increases.

Shift kit, new plugs, and a tank of 93 would probably produce similar 1/4 mile times!

This HPjunky guy, Neal? Tell everyone how much weight you removed from your vehicle to get it to go as fast as as it does!

Old 01-03-2001, 10:09 AM
Talking

There was a thread from me way back that had a copy of a USA Today article that stated exactly what Dan has explained.

The 96 and newer SOHC and DOHC V8 and V6 can compensate for 93 octane. The article went on to say you should see about 5hp increase and 1 to 2 mpg increase (which is exactly what most people are getting). Fill up with 93 and reap the benefits!

Bravo Dan!

Old 01-03-2001, 11:30 AM
Exclamation

Mike T.,

If the Superchip does what it says it can do, wouldn't you welcome independent tests of the product to further validate Superchip's claims?

I completely agree that Dan's test failed to reset the computer after each test, but should he complete the tests again, and reset after each dyno run, it can't see why Superchip wouldn't welcome this. If the results can only be duplicated in the laboratory, then there may be some "lily guilding" going on here.

While I am very happy with my Superchipped SuperCrew. I, being a typical engineer, really like to see hard data to back up product claims. I purchased the chip based on the Superchip product claims and am quite happy with the improved driveability of the truck but I always welcome independent verification of any and all product claims. All reputable institutions do as well.

I wonder what Superchip's position would be if 60 Minutes came knocking on the door...

Would it be "no comment"...

or would it be

"Come on in and let us show how good we are"..

------------------
2001 SCrew Lariat, 5.4L, 4x4, Arizona Beige, CD, Leather 60/40, Skids, Slider, 3.55LS, Tow Package, Block Heater. Future Mods: Plastic Bed Liner, Westin Chromed Stainless Step Bars, Front Hitch, Warn semi-hidden winch. Bed Cap. K&N Filter

Old 01-03-2001, 01:03 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

So,why isn't anyone attacking Hypertech,or any other chip maker on this site. Oh yeah,they don't have a rep. here.
Are you attacking the Superchip simply because they are the only one with a rep.
here? That's pretty crappy,if you ask me.
If you don't like the chip,or don't see any gains in mileage or performance,send it back and shut up about it. Good lord,I'm getting sick of all the naysayers and whiners in this forum. I have nearly stopped checking in because of it. Personally I think you have WAY too much
time on your hands if a $235 dollar computer enhancing chip has become such an important issue in your lives.
Attack another chip,already,there are enough threads on this brand,okay?

my truck:K&N fipk,true dual exhaust/never
broke the tires loose.
same truck:K&N fipk,true dual exhaust,Superchip/breaks'em loose at will,sounds like an increase in HP to me.
sidenote:I could care less about mileage,gimme speed any time/hehehe,,,,98

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
Yokahama AVS/ST's
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk .powdercoat
Clear front corners
Stillen Quad light air dam, sweet!!
Euro taillights
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
[b]Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
Viper alarm
On the way/wheels,tires, etc..etc.......
the monochromatic boogie is done,cool!.
Come see my new pictures@ www.my-f150.com

officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!

Old 01-03-2001, 02:09 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi G-money,

Bear with me a bit here, as I'll be responding to a couple of things, not just your comments.........

I think it's patently obvious from the results you're enjoying (along with virtually everyone else) that it's working for you. End of story, it's just that simple.

Dan's badly flawed "test" on that tired old Clayton dyno was far from accurate or representative, something that is clear to just about everyone using a Superchip in a 1999 5.4 F-150 like Dan's (or any other for that matter). And the flaws in Dan's methods used on that ancient dyno are something that only those of us who *do* have experience with chassis dyno's will likely even realize, and *that* is teh heart of this silly debacle. The vast majority of people you meet in life have never operated a chassis dyno, have never been involved in the purchase of a chassis dyno or it's installation, know nothing about the testing methods, etc., just like if you're not a dentist, you don't have expert detailed knowledge of dentistry, quite obviously.

So as a result, people who know nothing about dynos see a post like Dan's and think that because a dyno of some kind was involved, that is just *has* to be the gospel and automatically correct. They don't know that you cannot test in second gear, that it has to be done in 3rd gear in his automatic transmission vehicle so you have a 1:1 drive ratio and thus eliminate torque skew from ratio differential. They don't know that you have to re-set the computer. They don't know that a Clayton chassis dyno is an ancient piece of gear poorly suited for accurate measurement of incremental gains; that takes a very accurate and sophisticated chassis dyno, which is why Superchips spends the 6 figures it takes to get a chassis dyno that is actually capable of real accuracy in this kind of testing. Just like I know absolutely nothing about rocket science. Unless you work in the field, you just don't have the knowledge, like any topic in life, no experience, no knowledge, and that certainly applies here.

It's obvious that the Superchip adds solid power & performance gains from the feedback that gets posted here by the very people installing and using the Superchip, which has clearly been very positive for the vast majority; anyone who has been here any length of time can clearly see that. These F-150 Online participants aren't so stupid that they feel they have to make up some imaginary gain and then post it here so they can feel good about themselves; they know exactly what they're feeling and the results they got, and *that's* why they post the positive results that they do, time after time after time after time, including numerous people with manual transmissions as well (nice try, Rand).

What could be clearer? Are we now supposed to believe that the Superchip works on all these other vehicles that these people, including yourself, have been telling us all about for years here, but Dan just happened to have one that it didn't work on? That he has some special 5.4 F-150 that the Superchip *cannot* work on by some kind of black magic? Not a chance. We're dealing with badly flawed methods on an ancient dyno, posted by someone with a clear agenda. If everyone could see the emails Dan has sent me from the beginning, it's blatently clear that he has had an agenda from Day 1 here. Yet if I dare post *anything* in this thread, my "detractors" try to turn it around so that now I'm the one making a personal attack against him, etc. Very cute tactics. Just plain stupid, I think, and incredibly insulting to the basic intelligence of so many people using and enjoying their Superchips.

It all gets down to one basic thing, and that is, how the vehicle runs with the Superchip. And as we have seen right here on F-150 Online for the past few years now, the vast majority who have installed the Superchip and then posted here have said they felt clear power gains and improved performance, including manual tranmission vehicles as well as automatics. We've seen dyno runs, countless 1/4 mile comparions, etc., etc. posted here over the years, certainly more than enough to give any reasonable person a fair idea of what they can expect from the Superchip, and an obvious and clear track record of positive results posted by those who use them.

If we haven't shown our clear credibility over the years here, and the clear track record of positive results posted by the owners of these Superchips, then nothing will *ever* change those minds.

Meanwhile, all of those who are enjoying their Superchips will keep right on enjoying them, and posting their impressions & positive results, including new people who have just joined us, seen this thread, and went ahead and installed the Superchip anyway, and called us back to let us know how happy they are with the results, and how silly all this has been.

G-money, the plain and simple fact is, your Superchip is clearly giving you noticeable power gains and improved performance, by your own words as an engineer, just as it's supposed to. I thank you for your post, and we wish you all the best.

Our bests to all,

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 01-03-2001, 04:46 PM
heh heh heh....

------------------
Drive it like ya stole it,

Terry Deaton
99 F150 XLT, Bright Red, 2WD, 4.6, S/C, S/B, Superchip, K&N FIPK, FMS 9mm, +4s, Nerfs, Leer Top, Cow Catcher W/Bright A$$ Lights, True Duals with hi flow cats and Magnaflow Lightning Style, 275 Dunlops with 3.08 gears, fat swaybars, Steeda front and Hellwig rear, 3.5" Fabtech spindles with 2" blocks, B/E Performance Shift kit with B&M Cast Deep Pan, Steeda Billit Pedals.
Coming Soon: 4.10s and Auburn Diff, Eibach Front Coils and Add a Leafs, Underdrive Pullies and Kick A$$ Shocks.
96 SVT COBRA (almost stock)
98 AERO black w/lotsa chrome
Speed Kills, drive a Chevy and live forever.

Old 01-03-2001, 05:42 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

heh heh heh#2 A certain country song comes to mind,lol ,,,,98

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
Yokahama AVS/ST's
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk .powdercoat
Clear front corners
Stillen Quad light air dam, sweet!!
Euro taillights
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
[b]Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
Viper alarm
On the way/wheels,tires, etc..etc.......
the monochromatic boogie is done,cool!.
Come see my new pictures@ www.my-f150.com

officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!

[This message has been edited by 98SCREAMER (edited 01-07-2001).]

Old 01-03-2001, 07:41 PM
Banned
Location: Collierville,TN,Confederate States of America |>&lt;|
I am not taking sides but mike, I will buy the chip that makes the best garuntee. your web site says i will get a 25 horsepower and 31 lb/ft tourque. i gotta have a garuntee for 20 horsepower and 26 pounds of tourque. I am about to email hypertech with the same thing. i am a little skeptical so i am going to talk to the other companies about this too.

------------------
'97 XLT Clearcoat Red 4x2
17 inch Wheels,Stepside, K&N,bedliner, 32 inch tires, flowmasters, deep tint, big Ford oval on back window, 5 spd, platinum plugs, CB, hidden hitch, ford emblem hitch cover and a little wal-mart smiley face on the antenna wearing a coboy hat :-)

http://www.my-f150.com/waldo0506

Old 01-03-2001, 08:00 PM
Thumbs up

Send me more stickers

------------------
1999 F150 4x4 XLT BLACK ORP 4.6 5 SPEED 3.55
LUND HOOD SHEILD
K&N
FLOWMASTER SERIES 40 SINGLE OUTLET
CAPTAIN CHAIRS
PIONEER 6815's(for now)
SUPERCHIP
AIRBOX MOD
WAAG BRUSH GUARD
SPIRALMAX
KENWOOD 9015
SUPERCHIP STICKERS
MTX THUNDERFORM
KICKER 240 AMP
PIAA 9007'S
LUND RACERBACK
LUND LUNAR VISOR
NO DOOR CRACKS!!!

Old 01-03-2001, 08:27 PM
Thumbs down

Mike T.,

It's quite clear that you will never answer many of the questions I have asked, and continue to make false accusations. As I earlier emailed you(not for the group)you should be ashamed of yourself. Could you be any less professional?

Why are you afraid of independent testing? Why will you not mention exactly what the program changes? Or anything regarding 93 octane being taken into account by the stock computer? What incentive do I have to "be a detractor"?

The "tired old Clayton dyno" I used was built in April 2000 and calibrated by Clayton in October. You knew it was a new dyno. What is the percent precision of Superchips' dyno? Does it have a controlled cell and weather station that would enable this precision to be maintained? I doubt you know. Now Mike, this is where you really start blowing smoke. First, the gear ratio has nothing to do with the calculation of torque or Hp. Only road force, speed and rpm are needed. You would know this if you were an engineer (as I am) or if you really new your dyno. Third gear is probably used to get the highest Hp, since there is less transmission losses here, and it is used to give you an estimate of entire drivetrain losses. Why bother measuring drivetrain losses, other than to estimate crank Hp? Even in third you are not 1:1 because the torque convertor clutch is not locked at wide open throttle. None of this smoke matters anyway. All the original wheel Hp numbers are still correct. It's fairly accurate (within about 5%)to multiply any wheel Hp gains by 1.5 to estimate crank Hp gains. You still have never mentioned the actual loading that Superchips uses in its dyno tests. Perhaps you better talk to an engineer or technician that ran the tests to find out.

All that being said, if Superchips dyno is $125k or so, it's probably twice as accurate as the $45K Clayton. But only if it is in a controlled cell,etc. So if my dyno misses by 1Hp, the SChip would be off by 1/2. Again INSIGNIFICANT when you are supposed to be verifying 18-19 wheel Hp difference.

I have yet to see anything that makes me believe you are technically competent to operate a dyno. You are reciting hearsay, and screwing it up. I have heard nothing indicating that you know anything of scientific methods or have dyno programming proficiency. Where are the hard figures? You better ask someone that knows before you repost.

As for the computer reset, why did I get 8 wheel Hp on a Mark8, using the same method? If you truly know your product, you would know the answer to this. This is just another repeatedly unanswered question.

This thread has grown old, you staying away from the facts, reciting the marketing line and me repeating old answers.

Dan

SuperchipsDistributor:
Hi G-money,

Bear with me a bit here, as I'll be responding to a couple of things, not just your comments.........

I think it's patently obvious from the results you're enjoying (along with virtually everyone else) that it's working for you. End of story, it's just that simple.

Dan's badly flawed "test" on that tired old Clayton dyno was far from accurate or representative, something that is clear to just about everyone using a Superchip in a 1999 5.4 F-150 like Dan's (or any other for that matter). And the flaws in Dan's methods used on that ancient dyno are something that only those of us who *do* have experience with chassis dyno's will likely even realize, and *that* is teh heart of this silly debacle. The vast majority of people you meet in life have never operated a chassis dyno, have never been involved in the purchase of a chassis dyno or it's installation, know nothing about the testing methods, etc., just like if you're not a dentist, you don't have expert detailed knowledge of dentistry, quite obviously.

So as a result, people who know nothing about dynos see a post like Dan's and think that because a dyno of some kind was involved, that is just *has* to be the gospel and automatically correct. They don't know that you cannot test in second gear, that it has to be done in 3rd gear in his automatic transmission vehicle so you have a 1:1 drive ratio and thus eliminate torque skew from ratio differential. They don't know that you have to re-set the computer. They don't know that a Clayton chassis dyno is an ancient piece of gear poorly suited for accurate measurement of incremental gains; that takes a very accurate and sophisticated chassis dyno, which is why Superchips spends the 6 figures it takes to get a chassis dyno that is actually capable of real accuracy in this kind of testing. Just like I know absolutely nothing about rocket science. Unless you work in the field, you just don't have the knowledge, like any topic in life, no experience, no knowledge, and that certainly applies here.

It's obvious that the Superchip adds solid power & performance gains from the feedback that gets posted here by the very people installing and using the Superchip, which has clearly been very positive for the vast majority; anyone who has been here any length of time can clearly see that. These F-150 Online participants aren't so stupid that they feel they have to make up some imaginary gain and then post it here so they can feel good about themselves; they know exactly what they're feeling and the results they got, and *that's* why they post the positive results that they do, time after time after time after time, including numerous people with manual transmissions as well (nice try, Rand).

What could be clearer? Are we now supposed to believe that the Superchip works on all these other vehicles that these people, including yourself, have been telling us all about for years here, but Dan just happened to have one that it didn't work on? That he has some special 5.4 F-150 that the Superchip *cannot* work on by some kind of black magic? Not a chance. We're dealing with badly flawed methods on an ancient dyno, posted by someone with a clear agenda. If everyone could see the emails Dan has sent me from the beginning, it's blatently clear that he has had an agenda from Day 1 here. Yet if I dare post *anything* in this thread, my "detractors" try to turn it around so that now I'm the one making a personal attack against him, etc. Very cute tactics. Just plain stupid, I think, and incredibly insulting to the basic intelligence of so many people using and enjoying their Superchips.

It all gets down to one basic thing, and that is, how the vehicle runs with the Superchip. And as we have seen right here on F-150 Online for the past few years now, the vast majority who have installed the Superchip and then posted here have said they felt clear power gains and improved performance, including manual tranmission vehicles as well as automatics. We've seen dyno runs, countless 1/4 mile comparions, etc., etc. posted here over the years, certainly more than enough to give any reasonable person a fair idea of what they can expect from the Superchip, and an obvious and clear track record of positive results posted by those who use them.

If we haven't shown our clear credibility over the years here, and the clear track record of positive results posted by the owners of these Superchips, then nothing will *ever* change those minds.

Meanwhile, all of those who are enjoying their Superchips will keep right on enjoying them, and posting their impressions & positive results, including new people who have just joined us, seen this thread, and went ahead and installed the Superchip anyway, and called us back to let us know how happy they are with the results, and how silly all this has been.

G-money, the plain and simple fact is, your Superchip is clearly giving you noticeable power gains and improved performance, by your own words as an engineer, just as it's supposed to. I thank you for your post, and we wish you all the best.

Our bests to all,
[/QUOTE]

Quick Reply: Be Careful of Superchips, dyno results actuals