Be Careful of Superchips, dyno results actuals

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2001, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

I don't know, Dan. Sounds like you screwed up the installation of the chip, screwed up the test, screwed up the procedures, got a screwed up truck and/or a screwed up chip.

Why don't you just pull the chip and sell it to somebody else?

Why are you spending so much time, effort, and money on this, anyway?

Are you willing to state that you are not involved in anyway with a competitor of Superchip? Other than the cost of the chip, do you have any other financial stake in this? What about family and friends?

We all know where Mike Troyer is coming from. Now it's about time you make a full disclosure so we know where you are coming from too.

Old 01-03-2001, 08:58 PM
Thumbs down

BTW, while it's nice to see all these pictures, would you please cut down on the size of them so that they don't screw up the formatting of the page?

When you post a BIG picture, it makes the forum go wide and sometimes, it's soooo w-i-d-e that we have to scroll from side to side to read a post. When that happens, I just give up on that topic because it just becomes too cumbersome to read.

Old 01-03-2001, 10:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
dan ... what other aftermarket performace product guarantees specific h.p. gains?

Old 01-04-2001, 12:27 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

HI!... RAND : You want to know how much weight I removed from my truck, eh! Try 200LBS. That's only worth 2 tenths in the 1/4. The weight was only removed for my very fastest time, which was 14.53. If you do the math, that would mean that my truck would of still run a 14.73 with the 200lbs still on. Well there goes anoth of your theories again. I'm losing count now, is that 4 or 5 of your SO CALLED theoies that I have fouled up now!LOL! Just so you don't ask me for what I removed for the 200lb weight reduction, i'll tell you ahead of time.

REAR TAILGATE - 48.5LBS
SPARE TIRE - 48LBS
FRONT/REAR SWAY BARS - 46LBS
PASSENGER SEAT - 44LBS
CENTER CONSOLE/REAR TOOLBOX - 11LBS

TOTAL WEIGTH REDUCTION = 197.5lbs.
All weights were measured on a ACCURATE digital scale 3 times to make sure of NO mistakes.

RAND : Also go check out the 4.10 gears/superchip thread in the "ENGINES" section again. I've supplied more documented PROOF of my SUPERCHIP's performance in the 1ST section of my thread. If you want to continue this CHILDISH game to try to DE-BUNK my claims then go right ahead, if it makes you feel superior. As far as I am conserned I am getting tired of reading your attacks of me and my truck and I am getting tired of proving you WRONG again and again. If you don't like your Superchip, then send the DAM thing back or sell it! I've also had problems with aftermarket products, but I don't keep on coming on this site and B!TCHING about it. If you must know, my problem was with the POWERAID SPACER. They claimed 15H.P increase but all I got was a loss in power/MPG and slower 1/4 mile times. I made one or 2 posts on it then I was done. I did'nt start a life long pursuit to DE-BUNK POWERAID or the people who told me to buy it! GROW UP! As far as I am concered I am done with you and this thread. If you must get the last word, then go right ahead, I could'nt care less. I have seen very nice improvements with my SUPERCHIP and that's all I care about. Don't worry. I'll try to think of you and this thread when I go 13's N/A this year!LOL! I'm done!!!!!

BY the way : Have a nice day.

------------------
NEAL " THE H.P FREAK"
'99' F-150 XLT SPORT, oxford white, reg cab shortbox stepside,5.4, auto, 4.10L.S, captain's chairs, bedliner, GTS carbon fiber headlight covers, ***** CEPECK clear halogen driving lights, GTS slotted tailight covers (painted oxford white), fiberglass smooth wiper cowl (painted OXFORD WHITE), FORD locking lug nuts, tinted windows,true duel exhaust with 2.5 inch mandrel bent pipes and FLOWMASTER 3 chamber mufflers with 3' tailpipes exiting before the rear wheel like the LIGHTNING, HELLWIG rear stabalizer bar, 3 AUTOMETER guage pods, filled with tranny temp, engine temp, and oil preasure AUTOMETER "PHANTOM" guages,custom fabricated air intake trac and huge K/N filter, TPS mod, BELLTECH 2-inch rear drop, custom programed SUPERCHIP, BAUMANN ENGINEERING shift kit (on stage 5 setting)BYPASS CLUTCH CONTROL VALVE/PREASURE REGULATOR VALVE, ASP POWER PULLEYS, custom tig welded and ported JBA "JET BLACK coated headers, twin DERALE 16 INCH ELECTRIC FANS, PERMA COOL 14"/10" tranny cooler with 10" electric fan, custom ported (STOCK) throttle body, custom digital air intake temp sensor, custom ported TB intake elbow, relocated ATS.

FUTURE MODS : FORD SVT 24LB INJECTORS, CUSTOM SUPERCHIP FLIP-CHIP, BBK 75MM THROTTLE BODY, 80MM PRO-M MASS AIR METER, AADI F1 RAM AIR HOOD WITH CUSTOM FABRICATED RAM AIR SET-UP, CAL-TRAC TRACTION BARS, EXTRUDE HONED INTAKE MANIFOLD, SHM CUSTOM FUEL RAILS, SHM "RACE WATER PUMP, 90/10 FRONT CE SHOCKS, 70/30 REAR CE SHOCKS, BELL TECH 2/4 DROP, EXPEDITION CENTER CONSOLE, HARLEY DAVISON F-150, LOWER FRONT VALANCE (painted oxford white) and a KENNE BELL BLOWZILLA SUPERCHARGER.

ESTIMATED H.P TO DATE : 330H.P / 425ft/lbs of torque.

CURRENT PERFORMANCE : 1/4 MILE - 14.53E.T * MPH - 93.00 * 0-60MPH - 5.8 * 1/8 MILE - 9.2 * 60 FT - 2.0

OTHER TOYS : "83" PRO STREET FORD RANGER : 351-w stroked to 408c.i 625H.P (natural), 875H.P with 250H.P "BIG SHOT" N.O.S kit, tubbed (crome moly tubing), 12 point chrome moly roll cage, 4-link with coil overs, MUSTANG II front suspension, c-4 tranny (race prepped), 4000rpm stall converter(8 INCH), 3" chrome moly driveshaft,AUTOMETER guages, 15.50 MICKEY THOMPSON rear tires, 4" M/T front tires, CENTERLINE CON-VO PRO rims, fiberglass hood - bumper - prostock hood scoop, wishbone trac-link, two chrome moly driveshaft loops, 16 gallon RCI fuel cell,etc

Old 01-04-2001, 12:39 AM
Angry

I have to say after watching this thread for several days that I'm behind Dennis on this one. There seems to be an agenda at work here. Not only from Dan, but others.

Why the big effort to discredit Mike and the Superchip? What is the reason for the smear campaign when nearly everyone who has installed it is very pleased?

I'd enjoy getting together with Mike and other pleased owners, versus those that seem to want to put discredit the chip. Let's get a modern dyno and put up some cash as to what the Superchip will accomplish. Perhaps, we should have a meet?

I know how pleased I've been in the short time period that I've had the Superchip and I'm willing to put up some cash that it adds more than 8 HP and I'm also will to bet it adds some slight gain in MPG.

------------------
'00 F-150 Harley-Davidson Edition
Hard Tonneau Cover
Superchip
K&N FIPK
Hidden Hitch w/Harley Logo
Peronalized Plate: F150 HD
'99 FLHRCI '95 XLH

Old 01-04-2001, 12:47 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
dan who "guarantees" actual numbers on performance parts. they might show dyno charts but do they guarantee you the same result?
dont know if i buy the waste gate thing on the lightning as i have seen no one modifying the actual waste gate like people do on turbo cars. the different pulley not on changes how quickly the boost comes on but also the peak boost. the lightning performance result with chip alone are similar to regular trucks 2 to 3 tenths with chip alone. maybe a little better not a lot.
Dont you think it would be a great selling point for ford if they advertised better performace and mpg increasses simply by putting in 93?
rand anybody can question anything....don't flatter yourself!

Old 01-04-2001, 01:05 AM
This is absolutely redicolous guys. Lets see here ... lets try to put out a smear campaign on mike and superchips.What is you real agenda Dan?BTW dan hypertech will only give you power at wide open throttle,same with the JET(although I heard they were working on a program that works throughout the rpms).If I am not mistaken the Diablo is the only other chip that will work at any rpm. If ya don't like the supechip return or sell it. We (most everyone in the forum) are sick and tired of you coming on here with nothing bad things to say about a product and one of its sellers.This forum is not about coming on here and trying to put a smear campaign on anyone.It is for sharing info and helping our fellow F150 brothers & sisters. One big family.If you think what you are doing is gonna make superchips lose sales, you are wrong.There are way too many satisfied customers out there that will say the product is worth the investment. Have a nice day.

Old 01-04-2001, 03:58 AM
Well, we got rid of one idiot - Dano - and now we have two more, Dan and Rand, the idiot twins.

------------------
2000 F150 XLT SuperCab, Short Bed, 4X4, ORP, 5.4L, Auto Trans, 3.55LS, Captains Chairs with power drivers seat, rear slider, class III towing package, remote entry with alarm and just about everything you can get on this truck. Added a Ford bug deflecter, floor mats, a Dynamax Race magnum muffler and 3" mandrel bent pipes, Superchip, K&N FIPK Gen II, Bilstein shocks, Redline Synthetic oil, Kenwood stereo system and an MTX Thunder 204 4 channel amp.

Old 01-04-2001, 09:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a Mark VIII board similar to this one, and lots of discussion about how good (or bad) the Superchip is.

Go to http://www.markviii.org

Search on Superchip and you can see more that a year's worth of comments and discussions, both for and against.

I guess the truth be known...if you can get your money back, no questions asked, in 30 days or so, then buy one.

I "think" my Mk8 ran stronger with the chip. Fried my tranny. Weak tranny, yes.
Superchip's fault??.......not according to Mike.

I have a problem with Mike attacking anyone who speaks up against the chip.

Suppose he sells the Tornado intake thingie, or ProLong or DuraLube or any of "those other" aftermarket thingies the are supposed to increase HP, TQ or MPG. We all know most of them are just marketing hype and off no real gains.

You should encourage folks to speak up about their misgivings or bad experiences, and imporve the product based on that. Just shotgunning folks like me will scare other folks off.

------------------
Greg
'96 Triumph Thunderbird
'99 Ford F150 XLT SC 5.4
'00 Lincoln LS8
Wichita

Old 01-04-2001, 10:14 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The only one I see getting shotgunned here is Mike.

All of his posts have been professional and courteous. Unfortunately, people who don't want to wade through all this crap end up reading,
"Mike attacking anyone..." and
"Mike making false accusations...".

The detractors can continue beat against the Goodwill Mike has established on this board but, I'm afraid you can't put a dent in it.

Old 01-04-2001, 10:29 AM
Why can't there be a pro and con on the chip here then? Thats how this thread started out (although the title is a bit harsh), but there has never been a con thread on this board without several superchipped truck owners jumping in to bash the guy who wants some info. I don't have a chip and would like to hear both sides fairly before I make a decision. There's no amount of "the chip is great" and "it feels faster" that will convince me.

As I said before, I read an article in USA Today about a year ago on the SOHC and DOHC engines and how they can compensate for 93. I simply wanted an answer to whether there was any truth to the claim. Almost immediately Mike Troyer backed up the newspaper in one post and discredited the newspaper in another post without answering the question. There was no need for the attack and all I wanted was some comparitive data while I was shopping. I am the customer and was only looking for a well informed answer.

[This message has been edited by Triton46 (edited 01-04-2001).]

Old 01-04-2001, 10:51 AM
having read every word on this post, i'm afraid i would have to say that the one on the attack is mike.(old dyno, no exp, etc does that mean dynos from the 90's were incapable of telling hp gains. why did we have them then.)
sorry but dan simply questioned the authenticity of a products claims and went to great lengths to prove or disprove their claims.
i do not have a chip for a simple reason. most folks who noticed a difference have automatics. the reason for this seems simple it changes their shift points.
the best way to explain this is with a manual tranny. take someone for a ride and shift the gears at 2000 rpm nice and smooth. they'll think you have a dog of a vehicle. now take the same person for a ride in the same truck, but this time shift at 3500-4000 rpm and they'll think you have a hot rod from he##.
the only change is the shift points not the hp. as far as beating trucks you couldn't beat before, same thing your tranny is shifting at a much more race friendly rpm. same analogy with the manual when racing rev it higher before shifting.
don't get me wrong if your happy with it keep it, but just out of curiosity has any one noted the shift points on a tach with the chip, and then removed the chip and manually shifted the tranny at those points. same feel or not? just curious.granted this would be a very non scientific test but very seat of the pants which is what most folks seem to be using to see the improvement with the chip.
not trying to slam mike, he seems very friendly and helpful to those who order chips, just wondering why no proof of claims. he admits the dyno chart from superchips is old but where is the new one? how was the test performed? why doesn't he welcome an independent tester?

Old 01-04-2001, 10:55 AM
Exclamation

Fellow board memebers,

Personally, I welcome these sort of discussions as long as they stay professional.

I could do away with the personal attacks but these discussions, I feel, are warranted in order for buyers and owners fo various products to be the most informed.

Now as for the hidden agendas...

If Dan has a hidden agenda and is, in anyway, associated with a Superchip competitor...shame on you! If Dan is not associated in anyway shape or form to a competitor...then keep the discussions going...just don't belittle anyone.

Mike T. again, independent testing is good. And if Dan has technical questions with regard to the product which do not divulge company secrets, I see no reason why they cannot be answered.

I don't see why this site has to be all "hugs and kisses"....

Stop the personal attacks...and lets get back to the technical questions and lets find the hard data solutions.

If the Superchip only delivers a maximum of 8 Hp, then damnit, I want to know. On the converse side, if it delivers more than 8 Hp, I want to know that too.

So gentlemen, fire up your dynos and your computers and lets see some data, let the buyers decide whether or not it is worth the expense.

------------------
2001 SCrew Lariat, 5.4L, 4x4, Arizona Beige, CD, Leather 60/40, Skids, Slider, 3.55LS, Tow Package, Block Heater. Future Mods: Plastic Bed Liner, Westin Chromed Stainless Step Bars, Front Hitch, Warn semi-hidden winch. Bed Cap. K&N Filter

Old 01-04-2001, 11:58 AM
Banned
As a long time watcher of this board I have to place a few thoughts on this one. I have to say that I have seen this reaction that Triton46 has posted above many times before. I also know many people that tote the Superchip in there trucks/cars and many are very happy with the shifts, none that I have talked with said that the HP gain was noticeable. Be that as it may, I think that this discussion is needed so that we all can get to the bottom of the questions that have been asked in many different thread to only end up with a "call me" or a drowning of insults towards the person that asked it by the Superchip happy family.

I will also let you know that I have a Superchip, but don't see the hp gain. I also don't feel that I would with it being such a small amount in the first place. Wildchild as well as others have posted a good reason for this (shifts and such).

If we wanted to bash people I could let you in on my experience with Mike as well as Superchip, trust me I'm not happy with it at all, but that would be pure bashing Then again, like many times before on this board Mike would just squash that with his eloquent writing or I would get the short shots like others have before. Don't get me wrong if I had not had any of the problems I would most likely not have a care in the world about this and even I know that. But for those looking for a performance chip deserve a unbiased knowledge of what they are getting.

Maybe Dan does have a agenda, if so, so what. All that I have seen him do is ask questions so far, he has not promoted any of Superchips competitors from what I have read. I have seen Mike try to discredit him and then many people have jump in on that, but that is to be expected. I have also seen many of the longer stayed guys back him up, which made me decide to post.

All in all this is a what a message board is for right. Have fun and enjoy.

------------
Edit:

Ok after reading my post, it does seem that I have let my feeling go, but I do believe that I have touch on some good points so I will let stay.

[This message has been edited by 4rrd (edited 01-04-2001).]

Old 01-04-2001, 01:32 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking

4rrd, this is really getting silly. Are you saying you're joining the list of people who are unhappy with Mike and Superchips?

I guess you didn't get the discounted price.
Mike should have told you to register here first and get the discount, (Shame on Mike).

After all your dealings with Mike you never bothered to post here before now?

Don't you know this ridiculous antic makes your position look bad?

Quick Reply: Be Careful of Superchips, dyno results actuals