Be Careful of Superchips, dyno results actuals

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2001, 01:50 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

1.) The ECU can give about a 2% increase in peak power by using 93 octane with the factory program. On a 1999 & newer 5.4 F-150, this represents a maximum increase in peak horsepower of 5.2 horsepower, far less than the Superchip adds. This was a capability of these Fords *long* before that article that came out last year, where it was claimed that this was something brand new. Fords have been able to do that starting about 1994 for some models, and by 1996 just about all of them can do that. 2% is the number. This isn't the first time Ford has pout something out to influence public opinion, and it won't be the last.

2.)The Superchips dyno test cell, where I've spent a good deal of time just on that dyno alone, is in fact a completely climate controlled and properly designed chassis dyno test cell.

3.) Clayton is an old name in chassis dynos; so if in fact Dan's is new, my apologies to Dan, despite his conduct. His testing methods and results are still flawed, despite all his claims, as are his resultant numbers, including such basic things as how much the driveline losses are, which is very tell-tale of a dyno's inherent accuracy. Just to give you some real numbers, the 4R70W autoamtic poertrains in these F-150's eat up about 65 hp in driveline losses, not the 1/3 (which would equate to about 85-86 hp) that Dan has noted he's seeing. Notice we see absolutely no dyno charts here from him on any of this, so we can see just what kinds of numbers he got across the rpm range to compare to known stock numbers, to see if he was basically getting close to accurate numbers either stock or modified on his dyno. At this point, after all this, it doesn't matter to me whether he posts the plots or not now, as it changes *nothing* in the way of the results that are constantly posted from those installing their Superchips, who are almost all very happy. Are we now going to say that all the people who have run at the drag stip, who have run on other dynos, who have reported back their obvious seat of the pants improvements, that all this goes out the window and means nothing and is wrong just because of Dan's posts? I don't think so, and neither do any of the people who are happy with their Superchips, from the flock of email we're currently getting from those who do not want to participate in this thread, who feel they're above it and don't need the obvious conflict.

I'll sum it up here.........

For those that seem to be offended by my conduct here, well, you'll just have to be offended, I guess. I'm sorry you feel that way, but chances are, nothing I say is ever going to change *those* minds. You can't please everyone, though with our over 98% customer satisfaction rate, I think we're doing about as well as any company ever has. Are we as a company perfect? Am I as a person Perfect? Of course not!

I think it's patently clear, once again, from all the positive posts here that the Superchip works on these vehicles, a few detractors aside. I'll give you a little hint, it takes more than any 5-8 hp gain in a 2-ton+ truck to be able to feel it in the seat of the pants at all, as almost everyone reports back feeling here after their installation. Clearly, it works.

If Dan had come here with anything remotely resembling an objective or decent attitude, and posed questions instead of immediately attacking Superchips and me personally in numerous sections of the message boards, or maybe perhaps given any personal subjective observations from actually driving the vehicle (did it feel etc.), or taken things in a manner that was not a blatant attempt to deliberately do as much damage as possible to the reputation of both Superchips and myself, my attitude towards him would be a bit different. Did he do anything like that? Did he try in any way to actually contribute to these boards with an informed debate, asking questions instead of attacking, perhaps posting his dyno plots so we can examine just what he got to determine why, etc.? Any hint of trying to determine why he got those results when so many people are clearly getting nice power gains? No, of course not. From his very first email to me, to everything he's posted here, there has not once been anything remotely resembling someone who was just looking for answers, he immediately went on the attack, and he did it quite deliberately, assuming the he somehow knew better than everyone else already using the product, and look where it's gotten us. As you reap, so shall you sew. It cracks me up to think that anyone would approve of Dan's tactics here, but would then be offended by any response I've made to him as a result. It's so easy to throw stones and criticize, but let he who is without sin throw the first stone.

There comes a point at which you just have to say, OK, this is basically wrong, or this is how it is, this is my response, this is where I stand, end of story. I've done that. We've long since reached that point. Despite the fact that few people will decide to make this an issue for themselves, the *only* thing that matters is how the vehicle runs with the Superchip installed, and it's quite clear that the vast majority are very happy with their Superchips. That simply couldn't ever happen if the product didn't basically work.

My *only* regret here is for those people who come to this site and form their impressions of F-150 Online based on this current debacle. That offends me more than anything else could here on F-150 Online. And for *that*, my apologies to all, and we wish all of you, all the best.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 01-04-2001, 02:02 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Smile

Ok Mike I WAS defending you but, in this last post you clearly attacked me twice.

I can live with that but, what was all that stuff about my Mother?

Old 01-04-2001, 04:09 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Raoul,

What should I do with all the money people mailed in asking for shares?

Mike,

The Superchip works, even on manual trannies. My Dynobutt says it does. Butt that is not scientific. Next trip out to Milan with Neal I will run without the chip to compare. Does not having to shift gears or making it up the dunes without getting bogged down count as proof that the chip works?

all others,

Now if anybody wants to prove that the chip is bogus go ahead, last I heard the USA was a free country. But expect to be disagreed with by people who see different. Please keep the discussion on topic. If you want to slander people just because they disagree then you should have no place on this forum. This place used to be a fun place to hang out but as the place grows more and more as*holes are getting let in. Hey Webmaster Steve! Time to get involved.

Kindest regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd 3.55LSD
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks,
BFG 285/75 R16 MTs,
Borla Cat Back, Headman Headers,
Modified Air Cleaner Outlet Tube
and air box, Ported Throttle body,
Shortened MAF sensor tower,
K&N air filter,
Superchips

Old 01-04-2001, 04:40 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking

Dynobutt, that's a good one!

Undoubtedly, everyone who has the chip has told me they felt something in the seat of their pants.

Old 01-04-2001, 06:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FWIW, here are my 'dynobutt' results from modding my 4.2 auto:

K&N air filter: No noticieable change (supposed to add 5 hp)

Premium fuel: No noticeable change (supposed to add up to 2% or 11 hp)

Superchip: VERY noticeable increase in power throughout the range; able to pull a hill I drive everday at 70 mph in OD which it would NEVER do without chip. MUCH better shifting. Supposed to add 20 horses on the V6. Dynobutt says all present and accounted for.

Airaid: Noticeable power increase from 3,000 rpm to redline; if the chip added 20 hp this is maybe 10 at high rpm only.

Electric fan: No noticeable change. Supposed to add up to 12 hp on some vehicles.

Everybody's truck is different, but the only way my truck pulls hills in OD that it wouldn't pull before is it is making more power right where I drive it. Thanks, Superchip!

More anecdotal evidence: My friend's wife has a 4.6 Expedition with B&M shift kit. He put in a Superchip w/out telling her. She drove it not knowing the chip was in and when she walked in the door she wanted to know what he'd done as it sure ran good.

For me, the product works as advertised. It has a money back guarantee and Mike is an excellent person to do business with.

Old 01-04-2001, 06:51 PM
Dennis,

The computer was removed for over an hour during initial installation. This should be plenty of time to let any capacitors discharge to clear the computer. I also used the exact same procedure with the Mark8. Maybe I did have a bad chip or maybe the program for my particular calibration doesn't make any power.

I did return the chip and ordered the Diablo for $199. I'll post results on this too, both with and without disconnecting the battery.

I test every mod I buy. I ask for guarantees before I buy. And I send back the ones that don't make the grade. I have posted the good and bad results for others that may be interested. I sure would have appreciated some hard numbers before I bought the Gibson cat back and other mods. I had a bad experience with Superchips and its chip, so I told people. I sure have heard a lot of criticism for this. Doesn't Mike's reaction seem strange???

What money invested? The chip was returned for a refund. As for why so much time, I like messing with this stuff, and I like to get the most Hp for the dollar. The education is good for passing on to my students as well. I figure anything that costs about $33 per Hp or less is worth doing. Otherwise I should save my money for a supercharger.

As for a full disclosure, I teach automotive technology at a community college. Formerly, I was a Ford Technician. I am ASE Master Technician and advanced engine performance certified. I also have a B.S. in mechanical engineering and have worked as an engineer previously. And nobody I know works for a chip related company or has any financial interest in one either.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dennis:
I don't know, Dan. Sounds like you screwed up the installation of the chip, screwed up the test, screwed up the procedures, got a screwed up truck and/or a screwed up chip.

Why don't you just pull the chip and sell it to somebody else?

Why are you spending so much time, effort, and money on this, anyway?

Are you willing to state that you are not involved in anyway with a competitor of Superchip? Other than the cost of the chip, do you have any other financial stake in this? What about family and friends?

We all know where Mike Troyer is coming from. Now it's about time you make a full disclosure so we know where you are coming from too.
</font>

Old 01-04-2001, 07:45 PM
Banned
Ok Raoul you want to know what is up.
I'm not joining a list of people that are unhappy with Mike and Superchip, I just a unhappy customer. I'm mainly frustrated with the situation that I'm in with Mike and Superchip. I have seen the help and such that Mike does for everyone, be it with a chip or anything else, He just seems to skate the issues with my chip, leaving me to deal with Superchip personnel. Don’t get me wrong most everyone seems genuine in there concern, but everyone has thrown up there hands and given up unless I drive half way across this country to the Superchip facility so they can try and fix it. I have been told that this might not even fix it. Kind of a costly trip if nothing works out. As for posting yes I did this many times, ever time I got the same rhetoric from Mike. I spent many times calling Mike as well as the Superchip guys. I also have had many times shipped back my chip for reburning, and then after it got to be a weekly deal I started to drive across town to a shop that sales Superchips for burning. All this has taken it’s toll, but through out all of this I have told many people to check out Superchip through Mike even though I have not gotten what I paid for.

Well I’m sure that none of this will satisfy you without proof right?? Well Raoul check out the following links of a couple posts that I have posted.

https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/000995.html
https://www.f150online.com/f150board...ML/000742.html

Take Care,

Mumbly

ps. Raoul I was just hoping to see a straight forward answer from Mike. It looks like in his last post that he has done about as good as we will see. I have seen and been one of the crew that has ousted other chip people from this site. I too understand now that everything needs to be looked at from all angles. OK go ahead and yuke it up.......

Old 01-04-2001, 07:50 PM
Cool

Well, here is a challenge should anyone wish to accept. I have a '94 ext. cab, long box with the 302. It's automatic and weighs in around 5100 lbs. with me and 1 tank of fuel. I have went to Milan Dragway last September and ran a 17.781 secs. @ 77.?? mph. I had a little over an 1/8th of a tank of fuel, tonneau cover, everything was on the truck as if I wasn't even at a dragstrip. I wanted to see what it would do just like lining up on the street to run. I had two witnesses and I still have the time slips to prove it. If you want to see if the chip works and everyone is going to pitch in and buy time for a dyno forget. Send me the money and I will buy the chip. I plan on buying a chip anyway from Mike T. (there is no choice here, IT WILL BE A SUPERCHIPS CHIP) in late March or early April. Hopefully, Milan will have a test & tune on a day that I don't have something planned and I will make the runs. I will put the chip in as soon as I get it to let the computer set up properly before I go to Milan. I will try to make 3 runs before removing the chip and then hopefully another 3 runs.

Now with 1 automatic (me) and 1 manual truck (JMC) being at the same place at the same time, will that solve all this crap about whether the chip works or not????

Have Fun & Keep on Truckin'
Dean

P.S. - Mike T. - Start the paperwork !!

------------------
1994 F-150 XLT Supercab, Long Box, 302 EFI, K&N FIPK, Bosch Platinum +4 Spark Plugs, Automatic, Single Catalytic converter, followed by a Raven Z-55 muffler and finished off with chrome tips (2 1/2" to 3"), Royal Blue in and out, Captain Chairs. Chrome Rims 15x8's, Michelin LTX M/S 105S 235/75R15 (Summer), OEM Aluminum Rims 15x8's, Michelin LTX M/S 108S (Winter), Lightly Tinted, Soft Tonneau Cover, Ford Receiver Hitch Cover & Lock, J&J Enterprises Stainless Steel AirDam with KC driving lights, Lund Supersteps, Lighted Grab Bars, VTech Slotted Taillight Covers, Alpine CDM-7829 Head Unit, PPI 4800 Amplifier, Kicker 10" Solo Baric Sub with Custom Box and Kicker Impulse 6.5 Mid & Tweets.

Old 01-04-2001, 08:54 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wink

Hey Dan,
did you scrape the coating off the connectors on the PCM?

Old 01-05-2001, 12:36 AM
Talking

I had a B&M shift improver hooked up before I had a chip,the shifts felt about the same. However,the chip added a considerable increase in noticeable power. The shift improver did not. Its good enough for me,I'm done with the whiner posts,lol,,,,98

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
Yokahama AVS/ST's
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk .powdercoat
Clear front corners
Stillen Quad light air dam, sweet!!
Euro taillights
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
[b]Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
Viper alarm
On the way/wheels,tires, etc..etc.......
the monochromatic boogie is done,cool!.
Come see my new pictures@ www.my-f150.com

officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!

Old 01-05-2001, 04:22 AM
Thumbs down

I sure don't like personal atacks on any member. We are supposed to be here to help each other. Why don't we all just wait until the F-150 On Line Rally this summer and then maybe several members can run at the strip with and without the chip and compare results. I hope to be there and will put my money on "THE Super CHIP" We can also compare air filters ect. I also kinda wonder if some of these attacks are by the same person using different names, or thier friends to help "pile on"

------------------
2000 F-150, XLT, SC, 5.4, 4X4, 355 LS, ORP, Black/Silver, class III, single CD, sliding glass, med. gray, keyless, elect. shift, engine date 8-18-99, Superchip. '93 Harley Fatboy Black & tons of chrome

[This message has been edited by Bubbadewsky (edited 01-05-2001).]

Old 01-05-2001, 07:59 AM
Quote From Mike T:

"the *only* thing that matters is how the vehicle runs with the Superchip installed"

No, your incorrect! If that statement is true Mike, then run advertisements that say things like.... Runs better... Improves driveability... Feel more power....etc...

NOT: "28 HP on the 5.4 and 46 ft pounds of torque"..."10-12% increase in MPG"

BTW: Enough with the bible rhetoric!
----------------------

If your a happy customer then GO AWAY! If you want to REALLY try and learn whats going on with this chip and if the claims are even close.... Then stay tuned!

JMC: quit whining! Webmaster....Webmaster... Plea help us...Things are getting personal! What a baby!

The stupedest thing he could do is shutdown his best and most active threads! Boring posts dont make money!
----------------

Neal:

Get a life! Attempting to make me jealous by you doing 13's is a JOKE! I couldn't care less! BUT, if that boosts your ego and lifts your lack of confidence... Good for you!

----------------

Dan:

You are obviously VERY qualified in my eyes! Please keep this going! I want to hear more from you. You are one of the only intelligent people WITH ***** on this site.
------------------

For ALL you spineless wimps who can't handle the heat... GET OUT OF THIS THREAD and CLOSE YOUR EYES AGAIN! Its MUCH safer when you keep your eyes shut...

Tunnel vision?
--------------------

What in the heck is wrong with people asking hard questions about the product in which they invested money?

Dan is telling us one thing and Mike another. Both have good arguements. Dan's holds a little more water in my mind. But if others get involved we can learn more.

Not interested in learning more? LEAVE THIS THREAD!

SEAT-O-THE-PANTS good enough? LEAVE THIS THREAD!

----------------

Me: No MPG increase. Noticeable power gains. How much?

Dan: Very small gains from a dyno test.

Neal: 2 tenths from shift points, 2 tenths from weight reduction, 1 tenth from 93 octane, 1 tenth from chip programming. Or is it 3 tenths driver, 2 tenths weight.... Blah blah blah... You get it!

NO CHIP GIVES 6 tenths in the 1/4 mile NO CHIP! Dont let these guys fool you! 26 HP does NOT equate to 6 tenths. I too have experience with mods and 1/4 mile times! This is TOTAL BULL*****! 3/10 on a good day, 30 degrees, and tail wind!
------------------------

This is business not pleasure! People might be spending money and not have all the facts! Independant testing will shed unbiased light for the newbies!

Good job Dan! Perhaps we can talk through email sometime?

Old 01-05-2001, 08:46 AM
Thumbs down

Rand,I used to like you. I've changed my mind. Who told you that you would get
a 10 to 12% increase in MPG?!? You are really starting the personal attacks now,you've gone mad I believe,,,,98

Old 01-05-2001, 09:57 AM
98, stop turning this into a "I don't like you/you dont like me" thread, keep to the topic or don't post.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">heh heh heh#2 A certain country song comes to mind,lol ,,,,98</font>

Old 01-05-2001, 01:58 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Dan Kryszczuk,

I still question your test method as I explained in my post referring to iATN simply because it is highly likely that something was skewed.
Example: Neal has a G-Teck pro and uses it on his truck with results close to the actual ¼ mile track numbers. When I installed headers on my truck we tried it on mine and I went from a high 16 second truck to a low 19 second truck. The 16s are results from a track and the 19s were from the G-teck. After a lot of head scratching and re-testing of the G-Teck on Neal's truck we tried the track. My truck was in the low 16s at the track. Neal ran the G-teck on his truck at the track and had almost identical times G-teck vs track computer. Why was my truck not showing results with the G-teck? It was finally discovered that the G-teck is very sensitive to wheel hop. My truck has gobs of it.
If I had rushed out and published my G-teck results before researching the problem I would have stirred up a lot of poop. In a way you have done the same. I can not dispute the numbers you show, you have them in front of you. I can only question the testing method. If you take for granted that the chip does in fact produce 25+ hp, would you not question your results? Would you not try to find to flaw in your testing methods?

Regards

Jean Marc

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd 3.55LSD
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks,
BFG 285/75 R16 MTs,
Borla Cat Back, Headman Headers,
Modified Air Cleaner Outlet Tube
and air box, Ported Throttle body,
Shortened MAF sensor tower,
K&N air filter,