Be Careful of Superchips, dyno results actuals

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2001, 02:12 PM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Rand,

Unfortunatly your ignorance kept you from understanding that my post was intended to stop the name calling on both sides. It is not required when adults are discussing trucks. I will respond to your MPG concerns in your post regarding that subject, not in this one.

Kindest regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd 3.55LSD
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks,
BFG 285/75 R16 MTs,
Borla Cat Back, Headman Headers,
Modified Air Cleaner Outlet Tube
and air box, Ported Throttle body,
Shortened MAF sensor tower,
K&N air filter,
Superchips

Old 01-05-2001, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JMC:

Nice point about the G-Tech!

Old 01-05-2001, 03:46 PM
Dan,

My understanding is you bought the chip from somebody other than Mike Troyer. Could there not be a problem with the burning of the chip? For all you know, the chip could have been programmed wrong because the place you bought it from didn't have up to date programming or a competent technician.

It's just a thought.

The Superchip is not 100% effective in 100% of installations. It's not perfect. There are chips that fail. There is the chance that your computer code could be other than what you were lead to believe. There are many reasons why your results are so different from everybody else's.

No matter how much you claim the dyno you used is modern and accurate, how do you really know? How do you know the operator of the dyno know's what he's doing? How do you know he's properly trained?

You say you're an instructor in an automotive program in a community college. Well, have you taken any college level science classes? I've gone thru 500 level courses myself, including many many many hours in labs.

Suffice it to say, whenever my observations were other than expected, I investigated what caused it to skew. Sometimes, it was due to my error. Sometimes, it was due to margin of error being lopsided (rare, but it happens). Sometimes, it was due to contamination. Sometimes, the samples were tampered with and the real test was whether or not I realized it.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is, if 99 people tell me one thing and I come out with something different, I try to find out why my results didn't follow the norm. I didn't say my results are correct and gospel.

In your case, I would go back and perform the dyno test again, following Mike Troyer's and Superchip's testing procedures.

Try using a different vehicle with a different computer code and get the chip reprogrammed.

You know, I'm dismayed that a college instructor would totally trash something without following proper testing procedures and then duplicating the test on a differnt dyno then doing the test again with a different vehicle.

You only did it on ONE dyno with two vehicles and got similar results. In my eyes, there's a problem with the testing procedure, the dyno, and/or the dyno operator.

Go back and find out what went wrong. Don't automatically blame Superchips for your results.

You posted something and put yourself up on a pedestal as an expert who has the FINAL word on Superchips. Then when people start to point out the flaws in your testing procedure, you get defensive.

I would have more respect for you as an automotive instructor if you would have gone back over your testing procedures using the Superchip company standard. From your post, you clearly didn't do that.

In this case, you should be treating this whole thing as a curious engineer would instead of how a one dimensional (Can Not Duplicate) mechanic would.

Old 01-05-2001, 08:19 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Exclamation

Triton46:
Did you read his post? He was trying,in one post,to tell off every person here that disagrees with him? I guess I didn't understand him.......
Back to my(and a few others)concerns,Dan obviously did not reset the computer,if there was no effect with the chip installed. I will admit that the first time I put my chip in I didn't do it right either. Do a search on my "just waitin on the power" thread. Once I corrected my mistake the truck woke up,night and day difference.,,,,,,98

------------------
98 F-150 4.6 Litre XLT2wd Ext. cab
Yokahama AVS/ST's
prarie tan/tan int.
K/N gen.II fipk
custom dual exh/gibson rectangle tips/rear exiting.
color matched snuglid
Superchip!!!
Westin nerfs blk .powdercoat
Clear front corners
Stillen Quad light air dam, sweet!!
Euro taillights
Cobra 75WXST cb w/weather alert
[b]Kenwood cd w/Radio Shack speakers,don't laugh it sounds pretty good
Viper alarm
On the way/wheels,tires, etc..etc.......
the monochromatic boogie is done,cool!.
Come see my new pictures@ www.my-f150.com

officialtomwaits.com
reverendhortonheat.com

WOW,what a cool site!

FENDER GUITARS ROCK!!!

Old 01-05-2001, 09:34 PM
Would anyone care to take a try at finding the 25 HP in the advertizement:

It looks to me that the only place there's more than a half-dozen horses is where the 'detune-during-shift' is turned off.

Aren't those half-dozen horses only at WOT?

Isn't the peak at the apex (highest point) due to the fact that the shift was made during the point where the 'detune-during-shift' was turned off?

Old 01-05-2001, 10:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW! I'm gone for a week and this thread really took off!

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with super engine cooling/auxiliary transmission cooling HD package, Heavy duty shocks, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, FORD bedliner, FORD black tubular cab steps, K&N air filter, mar-hyde rubberized undercoating, Modine climate filtration system, Bugflector II, Mobil 1 oil, build 7/2000

Old 01-05-2001, 10:54 PM
Banned For
Violating Vendor Rules
Wow,
This is my first time to this site. I'm not sure why there are so many people attacking Dan. Is it not possible that the chip didn't give him the advertised power? Are all the Superchips supporters saying that whatever Superchips says you will gain, you will? Boy, I hope they don't have a bridge for sale.
Lets be realistic. If Dan didn't get the advertised power gains then I believe him. Not every car or truck will. Discrediting him is a very poor and petty attempt to brush his findings under the rug. I'm glad he did post his results. This is very good information for someone who wants to make a educated decision whether to buy a chip or not.

Old 01-05-2001, 11:08 PM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking

How come all the 'new' people support Dan?

Old 01-05-2001, 11:52 PM
Raoul,
The 'new' people are more objective than those who have built a relationship MT. I bought a Diablo because SC couldn't have a chip for me for 6 weeks. But sure as s**t, every time someone asks about a chip or where to get one, I lead them to this site and to MT because the site rocks! Please don't attempt to discredit or discriminate against the 'new' members just because we haven't been in here for as long as you or haven't made as many posts.
If you can't give someone their fair say just because they disagree w/ you or your bro, then what good are these posts or any of the threads? Let Dan and everyone else who has an opinion voice it, its the AMERICAN way.

Just thoughts from a 'New' guy.

[This message has been edited by GregS.2001 (edited 01-05-2001).]

Old 01-06-2001, 12:06 AM
I just scheduled a dyno for 1-08-01. Four runs. Should I do two with the chip and two without? I've been wanting to do one for a long time,not just because of this thread, however I will post results. Thus far I've been pleased with the chip and I hope I get 20 plus HP and 40 plus tq

------------------
1999 F-150 Lariat SC 2 WD, White/Silver, 5.4L, 3.55LS, K & N FIPK, Superchip, underdrive pulley set, Flowmaster dual chamber one in and duels out, six disc CD changer, towing package and captain chairs

Old 01-06-2001, 12:33 AM
Certified Goat Breeder
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Talking

Greg, you misunderstand my last post. Read it again.

p.s.
Sorry that was too vague. What the post is saying is with 58 Forums and 100,000 threads it surpises me that someone would jump into this one with their very first post.

I can't do it this weekend at home but when I get to work Monday I could have 15 or 30 'new' members support Mike with their very first post in about a half hour.

No, make that an Hour I type slow...

Mike is staying away from this. I haven't been so wise. I will speak on this no more, forever.

[This message has been edited by Raoul (edited 01-06-2001).]

Old 01-06-2001, 12:37 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

RAND : Me, get a life? Your the one who spends more time B!TCHING about the SUPERCHIP on this site than anyone else. I think you have to get a life! Try reading threads carefully before you make a comment and make yourself look like an A$$hole! My 1ST baseline run was with 94 octain without the chip, and done with the superchip. So any increase by running higher octain fuel is useless because it was run with both stock and non-stock set-ups. If I did only get a SO-CALLED 8H.P increase just with the higher octain it would of been present in both stock and non-stock runs, There goes another one of your SO-CALLED theories! Also the runs where I tested the SUPERCHIP verse stock was done with NO weight reduction. There goes another of your SO-CALLED theories! Man you can't read! By the way, when I say the SUPERCHIP dropped off 6.3 tenths on my truck, I mean what the WHOLE SUPERCHIP package did that for my truck. That includes the increased shift firmness, more h.p, more torque, running higher octain fuel, increase shift points. The simple facts are that when I installed the SUPERCHIP into my truck at the DRAGSTRIP, my truck went 6.3 tenths faster in the 1/4 mile. I have documented proof and witnesses. What do you have? NOTHING! If you think that just the H.P/TQ increases they claim are going to drop that much time off your truck than YOU, SIR ARE A FOOL! The SUPERCHIP combines MANY things into one package to get their performance gains. You just DON'T seem to understand that, I guess. By the way, I could'nt care less what the hell you think about me going into the 13's with my truck N/A. It's a personal goal that I have set for myself and my truck, just to prove that you don't need a LIGHTNING or a supercharger to make these trucks go fast. As for me trying to BOOST my ego and my lack of confidence, You are sadly mistaken once again. It seems to me and a lot of other people here that I know personally, think you are trying to BOOST your ego! As a lack of confidence, I think you have a lack of confidence, lack of intelligence, your truck lacks power and speed. If you want to go the "PERSONAL ATTACK" route, then fine. You just met the KING!lol! If you want to try to keep dis-crediting me and my truck, GO RIGHT AHEAD! I actually have been enjoying making you look like a fool!LOL! I can keep this up forever! YOU WILL NEVER WIN!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Neal (edited 01-05-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Neal (edited 01-05-2001).]

Old 01-06-2001, 12:39 AM
mikey:

Thank you!

Old 01-06-2001, 12:44 AM
Raoul,
OK, I did and I don't see where the misunderstanding is. I've read the thread and I don't think the 'new' people are on Dan's 'side'. I think they (we) are looking for information.

Just curious, why do you think the 'new' people are , as you state, sideing w/Dan?

Raoul's ps. follow up
1st time posters will post in the Computer Chip forum because they came here to gain info on which chip will work for them. Hence new member + interest section (computer chips)= 1st post. remember 2+2=4.

[This message has been edited by GregS.2001 (edited 01-06-2001).]

Old 01-06-2001, 12:49 AM
Angry

I just wanted to say rand, you and dan might have found a problem with this chip .BIG DEAL.
Maybe it was a bad one, maybe it was not burned
right, maybe it was something you did wrong, who knows what the problem is,I just don't think you should be coming on this site and start bad mouthing the good people on here, calling them whimps . If you haven't noticed
most every one on this site who has a superchip is very happy with it, and just a couple are not happy with it, so why go on so much.I think you two have made your point, so why dont you sit back and see if anything becomes of this topic, and im sure it will. So please dont get into the name calling and respect the good people on this site.

Quick Reply: Be Careful of Superchips, dyno results actuals