Be Careful of Superchips, dyno results actuals

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2001, 12:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I just wanted to say rand, you and dan might have found a problem with this chip .BIG DEAL.
Maybe it was a bad one, maybe it was not burned
right, maybe it was something you did wrong, who knows what the problem is,I just don't think you should be coming on this site and start bad mouthing the good people on here, calling them whimps . If you haven't noticed
most every one on this site who has a superchip is very happy with it, and just a couple are not happy with it, so why go on so much.I think you two have made your point, so why dont you sit back and see if anything becomes of this topic, and im sure it will. So please dont get into the name calling and respect the good people on this site.

Old 01-06-2001, 12:55 AM
Angry

I just wanted to say rand, you and dan might have found a problem with this chip .BIG DEAL.
Maybe it was a bad one, maybe it was not burned
right, maybe it was something you did wrong, who knows what the problem is,I just don't think you should be coming on this site and start bad mouthing the good people on here, calling them whimps . If you haven't noticed
most every one on this site who has a superchip is very happy with it, and just a couple are not happy with it, so why go on so much.I think you two have made your point, so why dont you sit back and see if anything becomes of this topic, and im sure it will. So please dont get into the name calling and respect the good people on this site.

Old 01-06-2001, 12:57 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
mikey88,

Make sure you do the runs with the chip first. If you install it later you will not allow the chip to perform at its best.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

------------------
00 F-150 XLT SC Flairside 4x4 4.6 w/5spd 3.55LSD
Warn XD9000i, skid plates, Draw tite class III,
Rancho RSX Reflex shocks,
BFG 285/75 R16 MTs,
Borla Cat Back, Headman Headers,
Modified Air Cleaner Outlet Tube
and air box, Ported Throttle body,
Shortened MAF sensor tower,
K&N air filter,
Superchips

Old 01-06-2001, 01:30 AM
Banned
I am with Mike, the superchip is going to be mine someday. If anyone does not like theres email me at

waldo_white@msn.com

I will pay $10 cash per chip that is mailed to my front door. (Hey, if you really dont like it that much you will do anything to get rid of it wontcha??!?!)

------------------
'97 XLT Clearcoat Red 4x2
17 inch Wheels,Stepside, K&N,bedliner, 32 inch tires, flowmasters, deep tint, big Ford oval on back window, 5 spd, platinum plugs, CB, hidden hitch, ford emblem hitch cover and a little wal-mart smiley face on the antenna wearing a coboy hat :-)

http://www.my-f150.com/waldo0506

Old 01-06-2001, 01:30 AM
Banned
Raoul, Please go read my last post again. Also I can see your concern that someone is posting up multiple people. Not true for this user, but I have seen it happen before. Heck the only reason I have to use this damn name is for the fact I was kicked of this board for trying to help someone speak there mind. You may not have known that. Send me a email mumbly@texaschapter.com if you want more proof.

Old 01-06-2001, 01:37 AM
Banned
Waldo0506, You understand that many people out there including me believe that the chip is a good thing. I for one like the shifts if I wouldn't hit the rev limiter. Heck if my topend limiter would be gone that would make me happy. I just did not feel the HP gain that some believe they have.

As for your offer I have over $400 dollars into mine with the custom programing, shipping of this chip back and forth to Superchip and phone calls. It might be funny to you, but if you were in my shoes would you be laughing.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Waldo0506:
I am with Mike, the superchip is going to be mine someday. If anyone does not like theres email me at

waldo_white@msn.com

I will pay $10 cash per chip that is mailed to my front door. (Hey, if you really dont like it that much you will do anything to get rid of it wontcha??!?!)

</font>

[This message has been edited by 4rrd (edited 01-06-2001).]

Old 01-06-2001, 08:48 AM
Question

Okay... I've had it with you ppl. Now, Here is what I have to say. First off... Don't insult ppl, words hurt as bad as a hit to the face. Second, Not everyone will be happy with the same product. If everyone was happy with just one thing, the world would be a boring place. And Third and final on this topic. Don't take it out on Mike T. he is just a person trying to make a living selling a product. If you don't like the product just don't buy it. How would you like it if someone attacked you every time you turned around at work? Humm...?

Now for my personaly knowledge. Can't a Ford dealership reprogram your computer and remove or raise the speed limiter through there S.T.A.R.S. program?

Let me know and BE EXCELLENT TO EACH OTHER

------------------
99' Ford F150 XL Sport
(Black) V-6 3.55 manual
Mods:
Airaid, Bosch +4 Plat.
Dynomax Ultraflow SI/DO
Color Keyed Carpet
AVS Headlight covers
AVS Bugdeflector II
Lund Wiper Cowl
Lund Tinted Glass
Lund Soft Bed Cover
V-tech Taillight covers

Old 01-06-2001, 11:44 AM
Cool

Hey jgorka...

I can see @125 hp increase @ 120 mph...How about that for #'s!!!!!

Raoul:

Your cool man...dont leave this thread...I miss your off the wall comments already!!

------------------
1999 F150 4x4 XLT BLACK ORP 4.6 5 SPEED 3.55
LUND HOOD SHEILD
K&N
FLOWMASTER SERIES 40 SINGLE OUTLET
CAPTAIN CHAIRS
PIONEER 6815's(for now)
SUPERCHIP
AIRBOX MOD
WAAG BRUSH GUARD
SPIRALMAX
KENWOOD 9015
SUPERCHIP STICKERS
MTX THUNDERFORM
KICKER 240 AMP
PIAA 9007'S
LUND RACERBACK
LUND LUNAR VISOR
NO DOOR CRACKS!!!

Old 01-06-2001, 11:51 AM
You're the first to 'get it' - Congrat's!

Old 01-06-2001, 02:10 PM
Banned
Location: Collierville,TN,Confederate States of America |>&lt;|
on a lighter note........

i would rather take some words than a punch in the face. but thats just me

------------------
'97 XLT Clearcoat Red 4x2
17 inch Wheels,Stepside, K&N,bedliner, 32 inch tires, flowmasters, deep tint, big Ford oval on back window, 5 spd, platinum plugs, CB, hidden hitch, ford emblem hitch cover and a little wal-mart smiley face on the antenna wearing a coboy hat :-)

http://www.my-f150.com/waldo0506

Old 01-06-2001, 02:53 PM
Cool

I have noticed also that all the "new" members don't list where their from? Could they all be same person,you can have almost unlimited e-mail addresses.
That's all you need to start another name
on here. Maybe it's someone without enough snap to make up an address

------------------
2000 F150 4x4 5.4litre
K&N fipk Fabtech 6.5
lift
35/12.50/16Pro Comps
Pre-runner Light bar
with 6inch KC's

Old 01-06-2001, 11:27 PM
Talking

Hey Mumbly! Good to hear from you again, even if your name has changed. Please stick around for a bit......j.b.

Old 01-07-2001, 12:10 AM
JMC
Technical Article Contributor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
T_H_H,

No, the Dealer is limited in what can be programmed.

Regards

Jean Marc Chartier

Old 01-07-2001, 01:59 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First, allow me to state that I like everyone. I have purchased three (3) Superchips from Mike and have been pleased with all. They were installed on the following vehicles- '93 F150 w/5.0, '97 Expedition w/4.6, and '00 F150 w/5.4. My dad now has the the 5.4L chip in his truck(see signature for my new one) and he is please with it, too.

Now, the problems:
First, Mike, if the advertising materials are wrong, you should have Steve remove them. You're paying- right? I'd also like to see the "Improved Mileage" claim go away. At best, it's a "by-product" (your words) of more efficient tuning. I've seen it (better mileage) on 1 of the 3 (the '93 F150). So, it does "exist", but isn't really a "feature" that people should expect- like more power.

Now, Dan K.-

2)I conceded in my original post that there are many vehicles that have shown solid gains with chips, as there are some that have shown very little. If newer computers learn to run on premium, there may be less of a reason to buy a chip for 99 and newer.
Interesting observation. Perhaps you can use your classroom to verify your theory.

3)Yes, the Superchip website dyno plot was probably a cheap shot. Why is it still on the website? Where is the dyno runs from something other than a powerstroke that is 99 or newer?
I whole-heartedly agree.

4)The reason I brought this information to this site was to get a larger response.
This is called "trolling" in Internet terminology. Trolling is posting for the purpose of seeking adverse responses or to "upset" a community of users. Picture a Camaro guy talking trash on a Mustang site. One does not seek "responses" to an informational post.

6)The acceleration dyno runs I made are made are exactly the same as Superchips', except mine were done in 2nd gear. The gear will only change the amount of drivetrain losses, not power output. So the 2nd vs. 3rd thing is irrelevant. I also did not attempt to calculate drivetrain losses. Why bother, they are the same with or without the chip and you cannot change them. I also did lug down tests that showed no gain on the 99F150.
Anytime you use the word "except", then it's not "exactly" the same. I'm with Dennis- check your equipment and procedures to ensure accuracy and validity. Perhaps you can get a head-to-head comparison going like these guys.

7)The only fact that you have to maybe save the chip is that I did not clear the computer between runs. Both Ken at Superchips and George at rpmoutlet told me this wasnot necesary. Someone is wrong. Yet I still did get 8Hp on the Mark8 without clearing the computer. This may be due the difference between a 93 and 99 computer. When my dyno computer returns, I'll retest the Mark 8 to see if it learned any more Hp.
As a master, ASI, Ford, etc. tech, I'm suprised that you wouldn't know to disconnect the battery before working on any of the vehicle's electronic systems. Transient voltages like those found when "flipping a switch" or "unplugging" a device from power can kill electronics. BTW, as an electical engineer, I'll say that capacitors "can" retain a charge in excess of an hour- even with the residual drain of a PCB.

8)In the engines section, I was not the only one with a dyno that didnot see any gains from a Superchip. Many others that are happy with their chip did not notice any power increase, but liked the improved driveability. There is many that do see increases and many that don't. Don't discount the dont's. That was one of the original reasons for the post.
Internet etiquette dictates that one not post the same topic in multiple locations. To do so indicates "trolling".

9) How about answering the questions on: A)What do you know about a stock PCM relearning its timing curve for premium fuel.
It's my understanding that the Knock Sensor is used to advance the timing to it's maximum. From my computer programming experience, it seems logical that the "starting point" of advancement would be altered in the dynamic look-up tables after extended periods of running premium fuel. I doubt Ford is really anxious to tell anyone the specific details. However, if anyone would know, it's probably the guys at a site like this or at www.sae.org .

B)What does Superchip specifically do during a shift...change ignition timing and/or line pressure? Do a search in this forum. Mike has given answers on this before. Again, to ask "how" or "how much" is proprietary. Does Superchip actually change the fuel trim or just the timing curve, especially at wide open throttle. Again, answered in threads via this forum. BOTH parameters are altered according to Mike. It's nice to know exactly what you are buying. You never know what you're going to get until you actually get it- as you have found out.
I suspect you won't answer #9 since it's not in your interest to do so. Maybe a Ford engineer out there will. A bit of a cheap shot. Doubtful that any Ford "engineer" will respond- they don't want to be fired for giving out corporate secrets. Might try B.O.N. they seem to have an inside track or two.

C) Also, won't the Ford NGS take care of correcting the gear change to 4.10 gears for about a half hours labor at a dealer (if they won't let you borrow it).
Please, factual responses only.
So far, the only response has been "NO". Have you tried yet? If successful, I'm sure many people here would love to know how so they can get it done too.

------------------
1997 4x4 Expedition- 4.6L, true dual exhaust w/glass-packs, K&N air filter, SuperChip, airbox mods, Edelbrock shocks, 285/75R16 BFG ATs, 2000 F150 "XLT" wheels, 4.10 gears, Auburn LS, Clarion In-dash CD player, Smitty Bilt push bars and nerf bars.

2000 4x4 F250 SD XLT SuperCab SWB- 6.8L, Offroad Pkg, Camper Pkg, 4.30LS, Tape & CD player, Remote Keyless Entry, Sliding back glass, tinted windows, 265/75R16 OWL tires, & Line-X.

NoMo's site

Old 01-07-2001, 10:09 AM
Talking

Nomo,your my hero,lol

------------------
2000 F150 4x4 5.4litre
K&N fipk Fabtech 6.5
lift
35/12.50/16Pro Comps
Pre-runner Light bar
with 6inch KC's