Mike T.,anyone , I need advice re: s-chip

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2001, 09:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mike T.,anyone , I need advice re: s-chip

First of all, this will be some good and some bad news. I installed my Superchip yesterday. Installation went well; the additional instructions were a great help! Thanks Performance Products! I followed the instructions to a T and kept in mind the possible problems. I was a bit nervous, but when I reconnected the battery she fired right up. I've put a couple hundred miles on, and she feels real good. Noticeable difference. I've got the 5-speed, so the chip did nothing for my ability to shift. The throttle feels better, more responsive. I like it!
So my '98 F150 with the 4.6 is now chipped. This is my bad news. I don't think it is caused by the chip; maybe a result of the installation? Like I said, I reconnected the battery and she fired right up, however there is now a clicking sound coming from under the dash on the drivers side behind the fuse panel. It sounds like a relay of some kind. In synch with the clicking, the interior (and exterior bed) lights blink. It will click and blink about twenty times, delay for a couple of seconds and go through the whole thing two more times before it stops. It doesn't seem to have any effect on how the truck runs; it's just really annoying. I talked to Mike T. and did what he said. No change. I believe I've located the component that the clicking is coming from. It is behind the fuse panel. It is one of a few parts that look like they should be bolted to somthing but are just hanging there. It is about an inch square (give or take) and one of the wires to (or from) it has a 30 amp fuse in it. I figure it's not supposed to do this, so if anyone has any idea what it might be, please feel free. If you know what it is and know how to fix it, please e-mail me. wittom@gogtt.net.
Thanks again Mike T.
Thank you all.
Tom.

Old 03-29-2001, 01:13 PM
Talking

Hello Mike.
Everything seems to be working properly. The signals work, the hazzards work. I have not tried the cruise. I am not getting anything on the insturment cluster. I don't think I effected the fuel reset. That is the only thing in the area of the computer that I can think of. I hope it's not anything to do with the air bags. I think I would get something on the insturment cluster if it was. There isn't anything in the computer that would sence a change is there? Is it possible that this is happening to alert the dealer that the computer has been tampered with? That dosn't seem likely to me. It's running and driving ok, I'm just concerned that it might cause a problem. I really like the feel with the chip so I hope it is possible to find the root of the problem. Any resources you can reccomend?
You have been very helpful, thanks!
Tom.

Old 03-30-2001, 12:55 AM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Tom,

OK, so you checked for the things we discussed, and that didn't change anything. We haven't spoken since you tried all this so I don't know what you found.

Without seeing the vehicle, we don't know what it is you've found or what's making that noise over on the Driver's side, it sounds like a relay of some sort. I wonder if perhaps the flasher (for the turn signals & 4-way emergency lights) has failed or shorted internally. Of course we're just guessing here, but it sure sounds suspicious of a failed or shorted flasher for the turn signals and/or the 4-way emergency lights.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 04-01-2001, 11:56 PM
Talking

Thanks to the good folks here on the message boards the problem is solved! The Superchip is great!
Tom.

Old 04-02-2001, 10:28 AM
Exclamation

WAIT wittom ! You can't get away that easy...

What was the resolution to the problem? If you post the problem and find the answer, you have got to let us know...

Thx...!

------------------
'99 Ford F-150 Lariat, 4WD, SCab, ORP, LS/3.73, Tow Pkg, 5.4L
* Superchip
* K&N FIPK GEN II
'99 Chrysler 300M, PHP, Sunroof, Premium Infinity Sound, 3.5L
* Borla Cat-Bak
* K&N Filtercharger
www.atlantagamerz.com
www.f150online.com
www.300mclub.org

Old 04-02-2001, 05:00 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Tom,

Murfster is right, please let us know what solved it & what you found! Share the knowledge with all of us data-hounds!

Glad to hear all is well of course, and we're dying to hear what the real culprit was. I was wondering when we spoke that last time if it might have just been a programming mode for the vehicle itself, like for the remote entry system, or something else, that was my latest guess. With the rythmic flashing and that repeating pattern, it seemed that some kind of programming mode was involved perhaps.

So let us know when you get a chance please Tom, & thanks!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 04-02-2001, 05:00 PM
Red face

Sorry. Where are my manners!
Well what I did is check under the dash where the clicking was coming from. I located the relay and removed it. I checked the make and modle numbers on-line to try to find out what it served. It didn't tell me. Then I went on the F150 message boards and put a post in "electrical". I recieved a couple of replies. I felt that they were qualified. I was informed that it was unlikely that Ford would use a Potter & Brumfield relay due to the high cost. It was believed that it was most likely an aftermarket add on. I bought the truck slightly used and it didn't have any aftermarket products on it. I recalled seeing something with the owners manual about an alarm. I think I trew it away.
After removing the relay the clicking and blinking stopped. The truck runs just fine and all accessories are functioning.
I will continue to moniter the situation and if I have any problems this is the first place I will go for info.
Sorry, I'm still new here. Ill get the hang of this soon!
Thanks!
Tom.

Quick Reply: Mike T.,anyone , I need advice re: s-chip