PCM stores in mem. chip was used

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2004, 05:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PCM stores in mem. chip was used

Recall being told by Mike T. that w/schip on my 99 (gas), when doing a batt. disconnect & removal of chip, pcm was cleared, leaving no memory that chip was ever there. If so......

Q. for Mike T. or anyone that knows...When a chip/programmer is removed from a 04 6L PSD, also the Dmax w/schip, leave something in "mem" on pcm that indicates a chip had been used? Reports ive seen indicate it does, but not how it's done.

TIA.....OT

Old 08-29-2004, 06:56 PM
I'm no expert,nor do I have any first hand experience,but I have a friend that is a Customer Service Manager (for 18 years) at a Ford Dealership, and I asked him about it and he said as far as the Tuner goes, his techs can't tell at the dealership, but if the "Ford engineers" come in for a major claim, they have a way to get into some back doors to the program on your computer and not only can they tell you had it programmed, but they can even tell what the date was that you loaded the program.

Now I don't think he has any reason to BS me, but that is what he said.

Old 08-30-2004, 03:03 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Fellas,

No, there is no "tell-tale" left behind that can be found at a dealership level.

And no, even Factory Zone reps can't do that - they'd have to fly an engineer out with the gear to do that, and that's rare in the extreme, to say the least.

To be accurate, there is ONE code left behind, P1000 - which is simply reporting that power to the PCM was interrupted - just as happens every time you disconnect the vehicle's battery(s).

The bottom line is, there is no tell-tale left behind from flashing the PCM that can be seen at dealership service departments, and that's where it's important.

Old 08-30-2004, 05:03 PM
Tks. Mike T. & Rb.

So technically the answer is "yes" Can be proven.

OT

Quick Reply: PCM stores in mem. chip was used