installed chip, no start. help

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2001, 11:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy installed chip, no start. help

I JUST INSTALLED my chip today and of course no start, my luck.I tried cleaning the connections as good as i could, but that silicone or whatever it is that Ford uses is so hard to clean. Also,the chip does not seem to fit right. has anyone had this problem on a SuperCrew? what is the best thing to use to clean the connectors? help, i want my chip on now.

------------------
Black 2001 Supercrew Lariat,
2w.d.
lowered 2" front
4" back
svt rims
265/60/18 avs yokohamas,
2 KC daylighters.
Air Force one.
Ravin Z55

FUTURE MODS: Harley Davidson front bumper assy.

Old 04-07-2001, 11:54 PM
I used a small blade screwdriver and lightly rubbed the edge connector. I wipe it when there was little ***** of white stuff. Eventually it quit producing the white stuff. Be sure and disconnect the battery EVERY time you go back to connect or disconnect the computer or the chip. My chip did not ride flat on the computer housing so I carfully crimped the part that was in the way and taped it with duct tape. No problems for 4 months so far. Hope this helps..

g

Old 04-08-2001, 01:13 AM
hey veloci,
hows it going. it's josue garcia the guy you sold the lid to. hey, i got a question and couldn't find your number. where are the keys to the lid. my email is chech77@hotmail.com drop me a line at my email or here on this forum. thanks and good luck with your chip.

Old 04-08-2001, 08:39 AM
Lightbulb

clean the connector with a glassfiber pencil,mike have same pictures of it how it works.

Old 04-08-2001, 02:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try cleaning the contacts as everyone has mentioned..be careful not to remove the contact surface itself. Try using one of those kitchen, green scratch pads to help remove some of the coating..followed by rubbing alcohol. It sounds like you need to clean the contacts a bit more.

Also check to see if the computer mounting bracket is pushing on the chip. I experienced the same "no start" condition in my previous F-150 as you have..and it turned out that the bracket had slightly pushed on the Superchip (despite heavy duct tape).

I flattened the edge, where it touched the Superchip, redid the installation and never had a problem after that.

When I bought my current truck, I went ahead and flattened the bracket...and I have not had a single problem with the Superchip (8 months now).

Good luck!!

------------------
2000 F-150 XLT, 4x2, 5.4L Supercab, Superchip, Styleside, Black with silver two-tone, 3.55 rear, class III towing package with super engine cooling/auxiliary transmission cooling HD package, Heavy duty shocks, 4 wheel disk ABS, overhead console, sliding rear window, keyless entry, dark graphite interior, in dash CD, factory leather wrapped steering wheel, FORD bedliner, FORD black tubular cab steps, K&N air filter, mar-hyde rubberized undercoating, Modine climate filtration system, Bugflector II, Mobil 1 oil, build 7/2000

Old 04-08-2001, 03:22 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Veloci (Andres),

I would suggest giving us a call so we can go over all of this with you to determine the actual problem.

This is the same Superchip you've used for years on your past vehicle, and the one that we just updated with a new custom program for the computer code in your new vehicle, and it was operating perfectly when it left here, it was tested here as we always do prior to shipment of course. It's always possible to have a module failure of course, but it's pretty rare, even more so when a module has been in service for as long as yours has. If a module is going to fail, it usually happens pretty quickly, so I doubt this is the problem.

The problem 95% of the time in the case of a no-start is the contacts not being fully cleaned. However, you've been thru this before, and you could also have other issues, such as a thinner edge connector in this computer than the one in your other vehicle where you used this same Superchip for the last few years. That could potentially spread the contacts inside the slot on the Superchip, giving a partial connection on the new computer, & this is easy to take care of. That is easily cured by taking a pair of tweezers, and closing the gap on those little "fingers" (the contacts inside the slot on the back of the Superchip) so they will make correct contact on the connector.

At any rate, if you're still having a problem when you read this Andres, please do give us a call, so we can assist you with this.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Quick Reply: installed chip, no start. help