1715 Shift points

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1715 Shift points

Hi:

Can some one tell me the best shift points for the 87 octane setting, I'm looking for the best performance. I just got the tuner today and would like to run it on this setting for a few weeks. any help would be helpful.

Thanks
Robin

Last edited by Robin; 08-30-2004 at 12:47 PM.
Old 08-30-2004, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Robin,

I would use the "Superchips" default settings for two weeks. Then you'll have a good feel for the shifts. After that you'll be able to decide if you want them firmer, softer etc.

Good Luck,
Bill

Old 09-01-2004, 12:58 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Robin,

This is very basic info that you can look up any time by simply using the Search feature here - virtually anything you can think to ask on the topic Computer Chips for these vehicles has been previously asked & answered literally hundreds (if not thousands) of times on this busy web site, so just about anything you might want to know you can use the Search feature to instantly access. The icon to access Search is in the upper right portion of your screen here, & you'll enjoy using it's search filters & getting the info you want immediately - just FYI.

I agree with Bill's response - take the defaults for the first few weeks, as the shift points are ALREADY optimized in the default upload - there is no need for you to manually set any shift pint.

Now there is *ONE* little trick we like to do in this regard, and that is, to bump up the 2-3 upshift point by precisely 2 "notches" on it's LCD screen - that will help automatics get back up into Overdrive quicker after they've had to downshift while going up a long grade, for example - it's a little driveability "trick" that works well on most F-150's.

Aside from that, we generally recommend that you leave the rest of the shift points ALONE - the defaults are already designed to provide best full-throttle acceleration.

Now in terms of the actual engine rpms required for best all-out 1/4 mile ET's, the 1-2 and the 2-3 should upshift at 5400 rpm if you have a free-flowing intake kit and a good cat-back exhaust, assuming a stock torque converter. If the truck doesn't have a good intake & exhaust setup, then it shouldn't upshift at more than about 5000-5100 rpm @ WOT (wide-open throttle) - and I don't mean just a drop-in K&N air filter element and a muffler change, I mean a proper intake kit and a complete cat-back exhaust system. On the 3-4 shift point, just leave it alone - period. A full-throttle 3-4 is very bad for any stock overdrive automatic transmission, and you'd be flying at 110 mph plus speeds at that point anyway. We don't like to see these stock trannys 3-4 upshift any higher than about 4700 rpm or so, and we really prefer to NEVER see a full-throttle 3-4 upshift on a stock tranny - that's a good way to blow the Overdrive band, so tranny upgrades are required for WOT 3-4's.

Good luck!

Quick Reply: 1715 Shift points