p0506(or whatever it is)on PMC

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2001, 10:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question p0506(or whatever it is)on PMC

I have read quite a bit here concerning computer chips and warranties. I have confidence it the Superchip that is installed in my '98 F150. I believe I have a good understanding adout the laws concerning aftermarket parts.
I am writing this time because of somthing I read on a thread in the "Lightning" boards.
There is a discussion going on about computer chips and warranties. Something was mentioned about a code (p0506?) that comes up even after the chip was removed. I was just wondering what might cause this to happen.
Like I said I have confidence in the Superchip installed in my F150, I would just like to feel like I'm informed.
Also, does anyone know at what point a dealership would have to access the PMC? If I'm in for an oil change would they be likely to do a softwear update at that time?

Tom

Old 04-26-2001, 09:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
According to what I read on the Lightning thread that code will lead the dealer tech to believe the Ford PCM was not working and therefore you must have had an aftermarket chip installed.
Maybe you could reset your PCM before a visit to the dealer.

------------------
97 F-150, 2WD, Reg Cab,Flareside,Dk Toreador Red, Windsor 4.6, Magnecor 8.5mm wires, Bosch Plat +4s, 3.55 LS, EGR Bug Deflector, ******* Bed Cover, Bed Liner, XL Full Length Running Boards, Air Aid Kit, Gibson Single Out Cat Back, Superchips, TransGo Shift Kit, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, Hellwig 2500# Overload Springs,Energy Suspension Polyurethane Front Sway Bar Bushings, 265 70 16 tires, Rancho RS9000 shocks,Expedition Center Console

Old 04-26-2001, 01:22 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi guys,

By the way, that's a P0605 code, not a P0506.

That is a code that will be present anytime any performance chip is installed on any Ford computer, and it's *supposed* to be there. When you remove the chip, that code goes away, and is *not* retained by the ECU. We recommend that after removing the Superchip, do the procedure to clear the computer's memory as explained in your Performance Products documentation that came with the Superchip to anyone who ordered from us in the last year and a half. (It was about at that time that we started writing all of our additional Performance Products documentation that comes with every Superchip we ship.) If you do *not* do that, but instead just pull the Superchip off and drive straight to your service department without clearing the computer, when they do a diagnostic scan they can get all kinds of oddball codes & reports (none of which will be P0605, that disappears as soon as any chip is removed, as the computer's internal EPROM chip instantly switches back on), as the programs are conflicting inside the ECU, and thus scanning it in that configuration can give very odd results, though nothing is actually wrong with the computer, it's just from not clearing the computer's memory.

This P0605 error code is exactly what is *supposed* to happen anytime you connect to that circuit on a Ford computer, and all it means is simply that the computer's internal eprom chip has been turned off and is not currently functioning, which is exactly how that is supposed to work. It acts like an on/off switch for the internal EPROM chip, basically. So the P0605 code appears as soon as you install any performance chip on any Ford computer, and disappears when you remove it, very simple, just as it was designed to work. Just so we're clear, that code is *not* retained by the ECU as long as you do the procedure to clear the computer as we recommend in our documentation, either upon installation or upon removal of the Superchip.

That procedure to remove the Superchip & clear the computer is quite simply this: disconnect the battery and remove your Superchip. With the Superchip removed and the battery disconnected, turn the headlights on for 5 minutes, to drain all residual voltage & fully clear the ECU's memory. Then turn the headlights back off, re-connect the barttery, and away you go, you're back on the factory program with no codes retained by the ECU.

Now, just to explain correctly what this P0605 code actually tells a technician, first of all, keep in mind that the only time that P0605 code will ever be present when a performance chip its currently installed, this code will not appear at any other time, such as when the performance chip is removed! Second, the code is *not* telling the technician that an aftermarket chip was used; it simply tells the technician that the computer's internal EPROM chip is not functioning, and that makes them think that the computer has actually *failed* and needs replacement, because that internal EPROM chip is not replaceable, it's a surface-mount and cannot be repaired, so the only way to "fix" a failed internal EPROM is to replace the entire computer. And *that* is exactly why we recommend removing the Superchip prior to service, just so you aren't in a situation where you have to basically tell the technian their job, by telling them to ignore that P0605 code and why, as the computer is actually fine.

Here at Performance Products, we always leave our Superchips in place when we go in for service, but only because of who we are, and because we have the detailed knowledge of the operation of that circuit, so we can go in with credibility and train the technician about this, and to basically ignore that code. Most people do not have that knowledge, and so most people are simply not in a position to credibly go in and tell the techncian what to do, and more importantly, *why*. So for that reason, we suggest simply removing the Superchip prior to service as per your documentation.

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Old 04-26-2001, 03:15 PM
Thumbs up

Thanks Mike, I have posted several times on this concern..I feel much relieved now and want to thank you for a superior product the R9 superchip...

------------------
Ted O, Black 00 "L"
Superchip, PSP filter kit.
Roll & Lock bed cover
#4944 of 4966

Old 04-26-2001, 08:34 PM
Wink

I am also offering my thanks, Mike, for the reply concerning Superchips and dealer service departments.

Vern in NC

Old 04-27-2001, 12:19 AM
Question

Hmmm....interesting news!

Mike Troyer would you please step forward to the podium!

Forrest

Old 04-27-2001, 03:30 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hi Guys,

You're all very welcome, of course, as always.

At the risk of giving myself a bit of a "black eye", I have to confess something...... I went back and re-read our own Performance Products documentation that we send out, and while we do describe this procedure therein, it's not under the section that talks specifically about going into the dealer for service, it's earlier on in the text that talks about the installation itself. Not a big deal perhaps since the same information is available elsewhere in those documents, but I felt that should be changed so that info is right there in the appropriate section that talks about going in for service. So we have made that change to include that info there in that section, as it should be, and immediately implemented it.

One other quick point, and that is, there are many fine, well-educated, caring service technicians/line mechanics out there, and one thing you do not *ever* want to do is to leave your Superchip (or any other performance chip) in and not tell them about it's presence should you decide to leave it in! It's not fair to those service people should they be trying to diagnose a particular problem to not know about it, so please make sure to tell them up front if you leave it in. To reiterate, we recommend removing it prior to service, but for those who don't, make sure you inform your service department of it's presence, your technician will be much happier knowing about it up front!

------------------
Mike Troyer
Performance Products, Inc.
National Distributor of Superchips
(540) 862-9515
Email: mtroyer@compuserve.com
Performance Products F150Online Superchip ordering system: F150Online Superchip Ordering System
First National F-150 Online Rally Event Organizer

Quick Reply: p0506(or whatever it is)on PMC